PDA

View Full Version : Shortie Shafts for Bravo's?

Geronimo36
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
For those who installed shortie lower units, has anyone ever thought of this or is it even worth it??? Has anyone ever thought of or had their existing vertical shafts shortened? Just curious if anyone ever had a std. length shaft cut down, machined and new splines rolled into them????:huh:

VetteLT193
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
then would you cut the case down too? That seems tricky.

Geronimo36
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
then would you cut the case down too? That seems tricky.

Only referencing vertical shafts, the cases are purchased seperately...

Then again, I guess the center section of the shaft is also shorter so new surfaces would need to be cut for the upper bearings... Maybe it wouldn't be worth it...

Mr Gadgets
02-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Geronimo,
when you buy an Imco case it comes with the shaft, standard, -1, or -2". The Imco shaft is a much better shaft than the merc stuff anyway.

Dick

Geronimo36
02-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks dick. For the home guy with a lathe I was thinking someone might be able to do it.

The BMax verticle shaft is different from a Bravo shaft, it's much thicker at the splines.

Griff
02-22-2009, 03:45 AM
I remember a few years back that somebody was working on shortening a standard Bravo lower as a prototype and trying to figure out if they could do it on a larger scale. I don't think any results were ever posted, so it must have been a flop and more trouble than it was worth.

Mr Gadgets
02-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Friend of mine was doing that, slice and dice I dont remember if he cut the shaft or replaced it. But you had to cut the caviation plate and put a step in it. The Imco cases are nicely done these days. Just alot of work the other way. But then again, if some one is talented and can do it, go for it..