PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on trailer for me..

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd like to hear what you guys think. As some of you have seen my current trailer up close! Buying a new trailer is not an option this year! So, i need to work with what I have. I have access to the trailer that was under my old excalibur 40.

This trailer is a old "Target" brand. Which from what I understand, was the "myco" of the 80's. Obviously, trailer needs a full makeover. Sandblast, paint, brakes, bearings, wiring etc. However, the trailer is solid as a rock, pulls straight as an arrow. I especially like the heavy duty rear 6X4 bunk setup. Although I would add some "guide" bunks to keep it straight while pulling out at the ramp. But as finished product, I think it would be a very solid trailer.

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
My current trailer is basically a off brand. My main gripe with this trailer, is its structure. In my opinion, the crossmembers are just too small for a 14k lb boat, along with the bunks. Basically, the only thing it has going for it are the wheels/tires, and functional brakes right now. I think the axles are slightly out of alignment, as it dog tracks a little.

So this trailer would basically need a complete sandblast, repaint, axles aligned, and all new bunks and brackets. The adjustable u-bolt brackets also suck, very chinsy. Does have the drive guard though.

Tony M
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I thought the same as you when I did mine! CHECK THEM OUT ! ph#419 732 3434, E MAIL loadmaster@cros.net might be able to help ither way , mine new was $4200 in 07 / 2354 E harbor rd PORT CLITON OH 43452 / THEY MAY do a reman / or help on fix up / or new . :sifone:

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I did get some prices on new trailers a few months back. I checked with loadmaster, eagle, myco, and manning I believe. Lowest price I got for a steel TRI axle was around 10,800+tax.

Thats why I am thinking of just overhauling what I got. I got a buddy who paints, who also accepts payment in the form of coors lights and my help! The wiring, brakes, bearings and stuff I can do. I think even if I replaced all the drums, brakes, bearings, springs, and tires, I can probably have a totally rebuilt trailer for around 2500 in parts? Both trailers have the heavy duty 8 lug axles. The only difference is the Target trailer has those drop type axles, where as the current trailer has the straight tube axles?

Magic Medicine
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
That 8k you have saved by rebuilding would look good in the gas tank this summer!

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
That 8k you have saved by rebuilding would look good in the gas tank this summer!

Thats what I'm talking bout! Im happy as long as the trailer is solid, reliable, supports the boat well, and tows well. As much fun as a new myco would would be, I think i'll hold off until someday when i buy a boat that was built after the Reagon administration!

I think that old Target might look pretty decent with a fresh black paint job. Hell, maybe I'll splurge and install some LEDS to get into the 21st century.

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Notice the Vintage "1989" trailer plate in the first pic? lol, i used to tow the Excalibur around with that plate attached in 2005!

"umm, sir, I pulled you over because your trailer plates are expired". "Sorry officer, been meaning to get around to renewing it, just been soo busy"

OBNOXUS
02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Do it,,,,, Ill help you go throught it !!!!!!

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Do it,,,,, Ill help you go throught it !!!!!!

So you think Target or Rolco? When we gonna drop the baja out of the wind?

Magic Medicine
02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Thats what I'm talking bout! Im happy as long as the trailer is solid, reliable, supports the boat well, and tows well. As much fun as a new myco would would be, I think i'll hold off until someday when i buy a boat that was built after the Reagon administration!

I think that old Target might look pretty decent with a fresh black paint job. Hell, maybe I'll splurge and install some LEDS to get into the 21st century.

I am with you all the way, if I ever buy a boat trailer it will be aluminum. They don't look as good but they are a heck of alot less maintenance!

MILD THUNDER
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I wonder what the difference in weight is between a 40FT aluminum and 40FT steel would be? Never weighed mine, but I'd guess maybe 4000? Hell, my 24ft Vnose steel sled trailer is 3800 empty.

Nykamp
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Redo the Target, they made great trailers.

OBNOXUS
02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Thats another thought,,,,, I can get you a GREAT deal on an aluminum,,,,, come see the trailer under the 38 I sold at the shop and see what you think.

redhotsommer
02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Magic Medicine can get you a great deal on aluminum as well...just think what kind of trailer all those Miller Lite cans could make!

Chris
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Target makes a great trailer. You can add a drive guard if you like that option.

Your $2500 is a gross underestimation though. You can do the brakes for that- discs with an actuator. 8 tires/wheels (six and two spares) is going to cost you about that much too. I added wheels because the effort in making 20-year-old wheels road worthy is not worth what new one's cost. The beads may not even be salvageable. Blast & paint? Probably cost you $500 or so to have it blasted and about that in paint materials. Then the lights. Me? I'd budget $6k and hope to be slightly surprised if I came in low.

Magic Medicine
02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Magic Medicine can get you a great deal on aluminum as well...just think what kind of trailer all those Miller Lite cans could make!

Let me know so I can start saving cans:boxing_smiley:

MILD THUNDER
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Target makes a great trailer. You can add a drive guard if you like that option.

Your $2500 is a gross underestimation though. You can do the brakes for that- discs with an actuator. 8 tires/wheels (six and two spares) is going to cost you about that much too. I added wheels because the effort in making 20-year-old wheels road worthy is not worth what new one's cost. The beads may not even be salvageable. Blast & paint? Probably cost you $500 or so to have it blasted and about that in paint materials. Then the lights. Me? I'd budget $6k and hope to be slightly surprised if I came in low.

I have found the kodiak 8k lb 13" E-coat disc kit for 350 per axle, and the brakerite actuator for 499.00. So roughly around 1600 just for brake components? The stainless steel kits are nice, but more than double the cost! Since I dont plan on dipping in saltwater, ever, I would think the standard disc kits would be suffice? The wheels/tires on my current trailer are fairly new, so I suppose I can polish them up and keep them. Tires look good, no signs of dry rot, and lots of treadlife left. I think they may be 2 years old.

From what I see, they make a 12" diameter brake kit rated for 5.2k lb axles, and then the 13" kit for 8k lb axles. Since I need to go with the 13" kit, to keep my 8 lug wheels, I'd have 24k lbs worth of braking on all 3 axles. Should stop real nice!

Chris
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
That's a really good price on components. Keep in mind, the lines & fitting sare going to cost you a few $$. The e-coat is just fone for fresh water but the cad plated kit is worth the few extra bucks. Don't forget to add in the breakaway kit. Also, you need to toss the brass fittings that come with the Kodiac calipers and replace them with steel- they're NPT, not banjos- don't know why.

If you can dodge the bullet on tires, that's great. Since you're redoing a trailer, you should go ahead and replace the winch stand/bow stop with something heavier. No trailer manufacturer makes one sufficient to stop a boat sliding on wet bunks in a panic stop.

StraightJacket
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Joe I have a guy out in green Garden that can sand blast and prime it . I have a welder at the house to add a drive guard, and any other structure that might need attention. I think I'm pretty good with the wiring, and Paint ask Sommer. You should just take a look at our old redone trailer that was under the Scarab , only thing is we Powder coated it, instead of paint

insanity
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd rebuild the old one, doesn't look that bad to begin with.

Notice the Vintage "1989" trailer plate in the first pic? lol, i used to tow the Excalibur around with that plate attached in 2005!

"umm, sir, I pulled you over because your trailer plates are expired". "Sorry officer, been meaning to get around to renewing it, just been soo busy"

And I wouldn't count on that excuse working too often anymore!!! :mad:

Chris
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
only thing is we Powder coated it, instead of paint

How did you cure it? IR?

MILD THUNDER
02-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Joe I have a guy out in green Garden that can sand blast and prime it . I have a welder at the house to add a drive guard, and any other structure that might need attention. I think I'm pretty good with the wiring, and Paint ask Sommer. You should just take a look at our old redone trailer that was under the Scarab , only thing is we Powder coated it, instead of paint

Green Garden? Wheres that? Bad thing is I cant do anything till april 15th on that Target trailer. But I think a month should give me enough time to redo it. I would think sandblasting would be a necessity!

OBNOXUS
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Green Garden is just south and east of me

Sunsation96
02-18-2009, 09:55 AM
How did you cure it? IR?

He must know someone with the largest easy bake oven in the world:sifone::rofl:

Sunsation96
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Mild Thunder, please keep pictures coming as the trailer gets underway, this is great to follow and good luck in your project!

Magic Medicine
02-18-2009, 11:31 AM
He must know someone with the largest easy bake oven in the world:sifone::rofl:

Johnny boy you going to bring that boat to the city this summer and run with us in some real water?

Sunsation96
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Johnny boy you going to bring that boat to the city this summer and run with us in some real water?

I really would like too, my wife would love that! but will that lake take me out in my little boat? Also can you ride to down town? that would be sweet.

Magic Medicine
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I really would like too, my wife would love that! but will that lake take me out in my little boat? Also can you ride to down town? that would be sweet.

Yes you can go downtown and no the lake won't take you out, my first ride was a 24' Checkmate.

Tony M
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I really would like too, my wife would love that! but will that lake take me out in my little boat? Also can you ride to down town? that would be sweet. I'am scard ! // Iam out there in a 271 most of the time , :03: Do'nt worry some one will be there for you BIG !GUY!! :sifone:

StraightJacket
02-18-2009, 05:38 PM
How did you cure it? IR?

There is a guy up near Joe in the City that does alot of work for Chicago . He has 3 big a$$ ovens , and a few Chalupas that work for him. The trailer has to be completely in pieces. Ours is only for a 30' boat, not sure if Joes would fit.

MILD THUNDER
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
The trailer under my boat now is about 44ft or so long. The target is about 41ftt i think.

Once I get underway, which might not be for a month or two, I will definitly post pics of the rehab project.

Doug1
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I rebuilt the Target trailer under my Mistress. It was 40' with the drive protector, box tubing and weighted 3625 lbs. I completely stripped all the parts off except one axle and took it to a guy to sandblast, shoot it with etching primer and emron paint and I think he charged me $700. including paint. Took it back home and added leds down the side and across the back. While I was running the new wiring I added reverse lights which I highly recommend. When you are at a busy ramp it really takes all the guess work out for the people behind you what you might be trying to do. Even though your tires look good have the serial # checked to see how old they are. The ones that came on this trailer looked new and after the 3rd blowout I found out there were very old. Don't forget to get bearing buddy's to grease the hubs.
When I bought the Top Gun it had a Manning under it that I wasn't to happy with. The trailer had a 3" bow in it and with the boat full of fuel the axles would bottoming out on the frame. Chris Merrill, Merrill Power Boats near South Bend was a dealer for Trailmaster in Mishawaka Indiana so we put are heads together and had them build us one of there Vanguards to our specs and went with disc brakes. They even went up to his shop to check the bottom of the boat for measurements. The Brakerite electric over hydraulic that you mentioned is the only way to go no matter if you go with disk or drum. When Betty and I went to his shop to pick up the boat on the new trailer the first time I hit the drakes pulling off his lot if we weren't buckled in I think it would have put us through the windshield. Your Target has drum but didn't see if they we electric or hydraulic. If there hydraulic I would just clean everything up with new shoes, add the pump, wire it and your set. The drive protector is a great idea if you have the time. Those look like the same bunks I had. Mine were some kind of hardwood I think they"ll last forever. The most important thing you have to do with the bunks is make sure they go just past the transum a few inches. If you don't have support under the transum it will put a hook in the hull from not being supported. If you do move them try to leave enough room so you can off load with a fork truck in case you get near some saltwater and don't want to dunk the trailer. If you need any help with the LED's let me know what you need. There is store up the road from me that buys allot of overstock parts from the camper and trailer manufacturers up north. I added 4 more LED to each side of mine before I put it up for the winter.
If you are looking for a tool box to mount to the side I found K&W mfg in Bronson Mi near Coldwater that will build any size or shape you want. They carry diamond plate or polished and have very nice locking divises. I store a couple dock lines, grease gun, wax, towels, prop wrench and put my tie down straps in there.
Good luck and keep us posted, Doug

Doug1
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
These were suppose to load with last post.