PDA

View Full Version : Sent my headers to CMI

Loan Ranger
10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I had a guy at the boat last week to change the bushings for the silent choice flap in the tail pipe as they were leaking. He had to remove the headers as he did not have enough clearance to pull the tail pipe back from the flange and found evidence of leaking inside the header. He said the plug in the #8 cylinder had some rust on it but compression was still good. I had him pull both sets to send up to get pressure checked. 160 hours on the engines - 500EFI's.

Mange
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Says alot of the salty water in FL. Ofcourse you flush your engines after each ride?
Do you have any pics of your engine room?

Reminds me when I ordered a "Brand new" set CMI Sporttubes from Mr Cecil some years
ago... the right hand header was all black in side....

Mange

Wardey
10-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I had a guy at the boat last week to change the bushings for the silent choice flap in the tail pipe as they were leaking. He had to remove the headers as he did not have enough clearance to pull the tail pipe back from the flange and found evidence of leaking inside the header. He said the plug in the #8 cylinder had some rust on it but compression was still good. I had him pull both sets to send up to get pressure checked. 160 hours on the engines - 500EFI's.

Quit your winning. :sifone:Dave

Ted
10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
A buddy had 3 sets repaired, then they leaked again, so he bought new ones. One of the new ones had a pinhole and shot water 3 feet in the air. So CMI won't send a new one, nope, gotta send that one back for "repair" :rolleyes:

Loan Ranger
10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I do flush the engines after every use. I will take some pictures of the engines but unfortunately I did not take pictures of the headers before I sent them out last week. CMI said they would turn them around this week which I thought was a pretty quick turn around.

Wardey
10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Trust me....you don't want to see his pictures !!!! Dave

Loan Ranger
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Trust me....you don't want to see his pictures !!!! Dave

Did you like that one from Sunday?? Just for you my friend!!

Wardey
10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
That's probably why I can't do lasik......you burnt my eyes with that white flash !!!!:ack2:Dave

Geronimo36
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Loanranger,

I'd recommend putting a 1/8" drain tube at the bottom of each of the rubber water hoses. When you shut the engines down the header will drain and you'll have a little piece of mind knowing it's not filling your cylinders up with water. Running in salt water may not help but it's not the cause, it's the metal fatigueing, heat cycles, welds cracking, vibration etc......

If you haven't done so already, spray a lot of WD40 or CRC on your exhaust valve and into the spark plug hole just in case.

This is a very common problem with any stainless steel header system, CMI's just seem to have it happen more often... ;)

Loan Ranger
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks. Yes, after we ran compression we did spray CRC in the exhaust port. I will be interested to hear how the pressure test comes back.

Tom A.
10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I had Typhoon put the drains on mine. It is a good peace of mind. I was amazed at how much drains out after shut down.

Strip Poker 388
10-22-2008, 02:09 PM
knock on wood mine are 7 years old,maybe 2 times a year in salt water, I sent the headers back just for the hell of it 3years ago, they ckecked out good and they water flowed them, its was 4cfm which they said it good.

Ill get a leak now:(

Strip Poker 388
10-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Says alot of the salty water in FL. Ofcourse you flush your engines after each ride?
Do you have any pics of your engine room?

Reminds me when I ordered a "Brand new" set CMI Sporttubes from Mr Cecil some years
ago... the right hand header was all black in side....

Mange

used?:(

Geronimo36
10-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks. Yes, after we ran compression we did spray CRC in the exhaust port. I will be interested to hear how the pressure test comes back.

Cool! When I find something like that I usually disconnect the water hose to the header and fire up the engine and run it for 5-10 seconds to burn off any moisture as well!

Stainless steel has the bling and the runners make power but they don't last forever! My old CMI's were about 8 years old and in the 3 years I had them I had to fix them twice.

I'm partial but I'm a big fan of the Stainless Marine systems... I had a set on my Scarab and it was over 10 years old, never any problems!

Mange
10-22-2008, 08:24 PM
used?:(

Yeep:ack2: And by that time I started to realise what kind of guy he was..
The right hand header even had a different angle so it looked liitle
funny at the transom:rolleyes:

The tailpipes was made by a friend of mine, great ****:)

Mange

Strip Poker 388
10-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeep:ack2: And by that time I started to realise what kind of guy he was..
The right hand header even had a different angle so it looked liitle
funny at the transom:rolleyes:

The tailpipes was made by a friend of mine, great ****:)

Mange

Nice looking motor!!

Used header etc.Thats truley Fked UP.

What was thew shipping to overthere:(

Shanghied Again
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
After seeing about 10 failures this year we recomend drains in every Mercury CMI set up, even if you flush the engines the water still stays in the header, fresh or salt, water is water and were there is metal there is rot.

Geronimo36
10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
After seeing about 10 failures this year we recomend drains in every Mercury CMI set up, even if you flush the engines the water still stays in the header, fresh or salt, water is water and were there is metal there is rot.

I hear ya!

That's why I stopped drinkin the cool-aid and went with a different brand.

Mange
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Nice looking motor!!

Used header etc.Thats truley Fked UP.

What was thew shipping to overthere:(

Thanks, people especially notis the ign.coil cable on that engine:rofl:
This engine is the bas of the blower engine I now run in the orange
28 Arrow.

I dont remeber the shipping cost for these CMI's what I had in the Pantera.
$400-500 to Sweden maybe.

Mange

Elite Marine
10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Next order I will get you a custom length coil wire...free!!

Thats ridiculous!