PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Instalation

Audiofn
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I am replacing the gas tank in my Formula. I looked at the coast guard regs and it says that you can not foam them in. Every freeking boat I have ever seen has the tank foamed in. They say that you have to kind of float the tank on plastic sticks that are bonded to the bottom of the tank with 5200 so that water can not get trapped in there. What is the deal? Are all the boat manufacturers doing it wrong or am I missing something? My old tank was foamed in. What do you guys recommend?

Part 2 of this: If I am going to replace the tank how should I go, alluminum or glass. I think I can see advantages to both not sure what to do.

Jon

Traviss
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Your telling me your still workin on that thing.....its been like a decade hasn't it LOL!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Griff
02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Your telling me your still workin on that thing.....its been like a decade hasn't it LOL!

:) :) :) :)

:hurray::smilielol5::smilielol5::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've heard the same regulation as well about foaming in tanks. Mine on the Pantera was foamed in as well. Not sure what the solution is. I would go with an aluminum tank for the sole reason of alcohol becoming so widespread in fuel.

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I have seen many foamed in. The ones that aren't break from bouncing around. If it is foamed in a sealed compartment and glassed over I don't see the problem. There must be more to the regulation.

Ratickle
02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I have seen many foamed in. The ones that aren't break from bouncing around. If it is foamed in a sealed compartment and glassed over I don't see the problem. There must be more to the regulation.

PM Artie, Offshore Ginger. He does tank replacements, could probably help, or advise..

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
PM Artie, Offshore Ginger. He does tank replacements, could probably help, or advise..

The shame is the regulation might not be the best way. I have installed many also. Never heard of that regulation. I redid what the manufacture did with a little more attention to detail.

There must be more to it. Where did you read this regulation?

Audiofn
02-12-2009, 09:02 AM

I am hoping that he and Steve 1 and Dave chime in on this one as I am wondering if they just do as the builders do or if there is a better way.

insanity
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

I can concur with that. Mine was bolted in, when I removed it a few weeks ago, two of the mounts were cracked off, two were almost cracked off.

Geronimo36
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
The shame is the regulation might not be the best way. I have installed many also. Never heard of that regulation. I redid what the manufacture did with a little more attention to detail.

There must be more to it. Where did you read this regulation?

I heard about the reg. when I replaced the tank in my Scarab years ago but honestly I ignored it..... I think it's because the fuel can soak into the foam.

I glassed in a tube underneath the tank between the two bulkheads so water could get from the front to the back. Then I had Atlantic build the tank for me and weld on 4 tabs so when I put the tank in the boat I could lift it up about an inch and screw it to the stringers without having to put a block or something under the tank which could eventually cause a failure. From there I foamed it in, small batches at a time to allow for even expansion and so the tank didn't get pushed up or collapsed...

Funny story, one time at the marina one of the mechanics I worked with was puting a new tank in a Grady. He put some spacers under the tank and before we went to lunch he dumped all the foam in.. By the time we got back from lunch the foam lifted the tank out of place... It was the funniest f'ing thing I ever saw.. The mechanic was pretty embarrassed to say the least and didn't make that mistake again...:rofl:

Mike 35 Fountain
02-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Thats right.........no foam. The guy who is making my new tanks is giving me a hard rubber strip, that you glue to the bottom of the tank and then bolt the tank in.
The strips get cut about 8 to 10 inches long and then you leave a 6 to 8 inch space
to the next one.

I started out to replace a bulkhead behind the rear seat. My trim pump was leaning in towards the engine and I remember reading that a lot of Fountains had a delamination
problem in that area. Well.....pulled motors, found bulkhead wet, chased to the bottom
smelled gas in foam on port tank, engine stringer wet about 12 inches back from tank.
Removed floor, removed tanks, and started chasing it all the way into the cabin.

This is a boat that I have owned for about ten yrs. Never left in water always covered etc. etc.The best part is Fountain had already replaced the tanks in '95.

So obviously they did the same lousey job the second time around.

Offshore Ginger
02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I have been replaceing Aluiminum tanks almost the same way that mike's guy is doing using rubber sheets that are glued in with 3M 5200 with a glassed in tube on the bottom like Geronimo 36 did so the water can get from point A to B along with haveing Aluminun flanges welded to all coners so the tank can be dead bolted . I have to say that i have put in bladders and roto molded fuel cells which now have baffles and the bladders are collapsible * non sloshing *non exploding *inpact resistant along with being corrosin resistant . I am presently doing a set of gas tanks on a Skater out of fiberglass and talk about having your head in a hole .

Mike 35 Fountain
02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Offshore Ginger........I'm having someone make the tanks.......doing all the work myself.

Offshore Ginger
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Offshore Ginger........I'm having someone make the tanks.......doing all the work myself.
Mike are you going with aluiminum again ?

Mike 35 Fountain
02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Offshore.........Yes, the original tanks were .090 thickness and the new ones will be .125
and epoxy coated. They actually seemed to fail because of the combination of the foam
and the water that gets trapped around them. The tanks were grounded but still showed
signs of electrolysis.