PDA

View Full Version : HORBA announces the Don Aronow Memorial Cup

Top Banana
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
HORBA announces the Don Aronow Memorial Cup race series.

In June 2008, HORBA Ocean Racing LLC, successfully staged a real open ocean race from Miami to Bimini and back, a distance of 106 miles. This was the first open ocean event in more than 20 years and was met with a very enthusiastic response by racers and the public alike.

As a result of that response, HORBA will reintroduce open ocean racing beginning in February of 2010, with a race from Miami to Key West on the weekend following the Miami Boat show. This race will be the first in the new race series called the Don Aronow Memorial Cup race series.

The Aronow family has donated one of Don's original trophiesto HORBA. This trophy will have new base and plaque added and the names of the winners for the coming years will be inscribed on this new plaque. A keeper trophy will be given to the high point winner each year.

As a result of many conversations about the good old days and how much easier it was to become a racer back then, HORBA has created two new entry level class of race boats based on the winning Don Aronow 24 degree deep vee designs for 24 feet and 28 feet.

This new HORBA entry level class of boats will be powered with new 250 HP outboard engines from any of the five engine builders, in alphabetical order, Evinrude, Honda, Mercury, Suzuki, Yamaha. The 24 foot boat class will have a single engine and the 28 foot boat class will have twin engines. (Honda only makes a 225 HP engine, but that is eligible for anyone that wants to run Honda engines.)

HORBA is taking the very best lessons from the successful Honda boat racing class of Europe. We also noted how well NASCAR operates with many different manufacturers supporting different teams. This gets the sport back to its roots, with manufacturers and dealers being able to jump in and support teams who want to compete without mega budgets. Simple, dependable boats on open ocean courses.

For the new Don Aronow Memorial Cup race series, all new hulls and decks will be provided by Banana Boat Co and all boats will be race rigged by a new rigging company called MAS. The three initials stand for McCarthy – Aronow – Saccenti and is a joint venture between Charlie McCarthy, Michael Aronow and Bobby Saccenti.

Additional classes, both historic and modern, will be allowed to compete in these new open ocean races, but only the new entry level class racers of 24 and 28 foot boats, will be eligible to win the Don Aronow Memorial Cup.

See the new entry level 24 foot class race hull, with a single 250 HP outboard, at the Miami Boat Show in the Banana Boat Co booth, right next to the Miss Geico display and right across the aisle from Skater.

More info coming at………HORBA www.historicraceboats.com

cosmic12
02-10-2009, 12:13 AM
This is wonderful news, I hope it all works out and happens. If I were in a better spot at this time I would be the first to sign up. Good luck and I wish you all the best in puttin this togeather.

Top Banana
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Just a little run in the open ocean with a 28 foot boat and some multi outboards on the back....just what man needs to clear his head!!!

Offshoredrillin
02-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Great news Charlie, good to see the Aronow name back in a boat business as well as Bobby. I look forward to the races, Dave and i will be there with our usual hi jinx...:D

Top Banana
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Great news Charlie, good to see the Aronow name back in a boat business as well as Bobby. I look forward to the races, Dave and i will be there with our usual hi jinx...:D

Thanks Rob.......yes, we think we have some experience here when it comes to offshore rigging.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at one of the races or before....if you come to the show, please stop by and see the 24 boat.

Top Banana
02-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Bobby and me doing a little promotion of the new race series at the Miami show....with the new 24 that will be used in the series with a 250 HP engine on it.