PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedometer

Dan The Man
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Livorsi wants me to send in my speedo and antenna as it only works sporadically. Wondering how to get this antenna off. Seems like it's on there pretty solid. Don' want to ruin anything. Suggestions??

BenPerfected
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
They are generally just caulked, Fountain could confirm. If so, maybe use a heavy fishing line and saw it off from four sides and then pull the antenna loose by hand. You will need to disconect the lead at the gauge and pull the wire out thru the deck.

Dan The Man
02-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank You !!

Elite Marine
02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Put a little Goof Off around it first. It will make the job real easy then.

Coolerman
02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
get a bigger hammer!!:26:

John P
02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I think it is just double sided tape.

Dan The Man
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Thank you all / The Goof Off and fishing line worked perfectly. Not a mark. Thanks again!! Knowledge is power and here's to the power of SO!

Keith
07-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi Dan, not sure if this is related, but I thought I'd post the info in case somebody finds your thread via search.

Eventually the Livorsi GPS Speedo will run through it's self check, settle on Zero, then rise to the 9 - o'clock position and freeze. This indicates there's no communication between the gauge, and the antenna. Check your wiring and connections first, but if the unit is a couple years old, it could be a dead battery found in the antenna.

The antenna was originally designed to be installed independent of any power source, and primarily deployed as a tracking device by this company. (http://www.sanav.com/products.htm) So they designed it with a flat coin type battery. It's not designated as a "user serviceable" item. :( I took mine apart and see why, it's a little tricky.

The battery inside the unit is a CR1632, found almost anywhere (usually under $2 online via eBay, etc.). It has a very limited useful life, and is NOT rechargeable.

The easiest and permanent fix is to connect your GPS NMEA output wire to the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge. This allows the gauge to display the speed as tracked by your GPS. The "S" terminal is where the orange wire is connected from the hockey puck antenna.

It's very important you remember to use your GPS configuration and setup screen to turn on NMEA output. Most default to "off" out of the box. In the "On" setting, NMEA data (which includes your speed) is sent to the gauge.

If you're handy with a soldering gun and want to replace the battery, go for it, but remember it will eventually die again. Livorsi will replace the battery for you, but at the time I called, it was around $75 plus shipping fees.

Ratickle
07-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks, nice info on first post.

What have you been doing?????

Keith
07-23-2009, 08:09 AM
I can't believe that's my first post, sheesh. Work is really cutting into my personal life now, bigtime. :D :D Just too damned busy for the last year or so, and basically disappeared from the radar screen. I think I put about 20 hours on the boat the last two seasons, versus a normal 75 hour season.