PDA

View Full Version : 4.1 vs 3.73 Rear axle and the law

baywatch
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I have been looking to get a used 04.5-06 Dodge 3500 and I am having a hard time coming across one with a 4.1 rear end. My question is related to the legalities associatied with towing capacity and the rear axle.

For comparison sake we will say that an 05 3500 with a 3.73 has a manufacturer tow rating of 13,450 and that the same truck with the 4.1 has a factory rating of 15,450 (when Properly equipped/Obviously need to replace the hitch to a legit classV). The GCWR is 23,000

If I get into a wreck and I am pulling my 36' Apache ( 14,500lbs on trailer depending on fuel level) and I have the 3.73 is the DOT going to Cite me because I am 1050lbs over loaded? Or do they go simply based on the GCWR? More importantly, will this be grounds that my insurance company tells me I am Chit out of luck and that they can't help me.

I don't tow that often (We've never heard that one before now have we LOL) but I want to make sure I am legal and as my son gets older we will probably visit some other locales. I just looked at an 07 DRW that has beefed front springs as well as airbags in the rear (really over kill for what I would use it for), but it has the 3.73 Rear end.

I know the addage that you can never have too much truck and I agree, I am just getting frustrated because I am seeing lots of 3.73's and very few 4.1's and was considering going with a 3.73 if I would be legal in the eyes of the law.

Also what sort of diffence in fuel economy would I see in a 3.73 over a 4.1.

I appreciate everyone's input.

-Josh

cigdaze
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
You will get busted. They will go with the number indicated on the placard on the driver's side door panel. That's the legal limit, not the brochure figure of the most-capable truck in the product line. Why chance it?

:)

Davidmnc
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
In my experience the DMV will not give you a hard time unless your truck is not licensed to pull the weight you are towing. But if you over load the truck and have an accident your insurance company could refuse the claim. We see this often in the RV industry. Buy the right truck for the job, and you will not have any worries!

OldSchool
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
In my experience the DMV will not give you a hard time unless your truck is not licensed to pull the weight you are towing. But if you over load the truck and have an accident your insurance company could refuse the claim. We see this often in the RV industry. Buy the right truck for the job, and you will not have any worries!

:iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

It really sucks too. I would love to take my boat on some road trips...but it's just too much risk (My truck is rated to tow 12,000lbs. Chevy 2500 crewcab Duramax/allison) and I'm so not rich enough to pay a pro tow man to drag my stuff for me. The insurance company would laugh at me if something happened!!:(:(

Jamie B.
02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I have been looking to get a used 04.5-06 Dodge 3500 and I am having a hard time coming across one with a 4.1 rear end. My question is related to the legalities associatied with towing capacity and the rear axle.

For comparison sake we will say that an 05 3500 with a 3.73 has a manufacturer tow rating of 13,450 and that the same truck with the 4.1 has a factory rating of 15,450 (when Properly equipped/Obviously need to replace the hitch to a legit classV). The GCWR is 23,000

If I get into a wreck and I am pulling my 36' Apache ( 14,500lbs on trailer depending on fuel level) and I have the 3.73 is the DOT going to Cite me because I am 1050lbs over loaded? Or do they go simply based on the GCWR? More importantly, will this be grounds that my insurance company tells me I am Chit out of luck and that they can't help me.

I don't tow that often (We've never heard that one before now have we LOL) but I want to make sure I am legal and as my son gets older we will probably visit some other locales. I just looked at an 07 DRW that has beefed front springs as well as airbags in the rear (really over kill for what I would use it for), but it has the 3.73 Rear end.

I know the addage that you can never have too much truck and I agree, I am just getting frustrated because I am seeing lots of 3.73's and very few 4.1's and was considering going with a 3.73 if I would be legal in the eyes of the law.

Also what sort of diffence in fuel economy would I see in a 3.73 over a 4.1.

I appreciate everyone's input.

-Josh

Josh,

As an option, you can buy a 3.73 truck and then have the 4.10 gears installed. If you have a Dodge dealership do it, I seem to recall that they may also put an adendem ( sp) in/on the door sill indicating the now higher GVWR. It would probably cost around $3,000 or so at a Dodge dealership to do, and a little less at other shops. Call your local Dodge dealer to confirm the adendem is part of it first though.

I have 4.10's in my 04.5 Ram 3500 4WD 4DR Dually, and it gets between 11 and 14 MPG towing my loaded old school full cabin Top Gun during the summer when the fuel is better. Its slightly modified though and the programmer is not stingy with the fuel. Just an FYI, common-rail 04.5 and newer Cummins always get their best fuel economy between 1800 and 2200 rpm regardless of if you are towing of not.

catmando
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
You won't get as good fuel mileage with the 4.10, especially non-towing, but of course your get-rolling power will greatly improve. I have 3.73 gears in my 2006 Dodge dually with the G56 manual and I never have to use 1st gear. In fact if I'm not towing I start off in 3rd.

baywatch
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Hey Cat,

I ended up getting an 08 with a 3.73. I did some figuring and as long as I keep the fuel in the boat low I will be Legal and still have room for gear and people in the truck. Full of fuel I won't have much room for people and gear LOL. The 08 with the 3.73 is rated at 14k "Properly Equipped." It has the exhaust break which is awesome and I put on a Reese Class V hitch rated to 18,000lbs.

I plan to hit the Cat scale in a couple weeks so I can figure out exactly how much fuel I can haul and still have room for people and gear. Luckily My old resin bucket is a 36' on bravos so it is "light" as far as Apache's are concerned.

99fever27
03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
You won't get as good fuel mileage with the 4.10, especially non-towing, but of course your get-rolling power will greatly improve. I have 3.73 gears in my 2006 Dodge dually with the G56 manual and I never have to use 1st gear. In fact if I'm not towing I start off in 3rd.

What do you tow cat?

catmando
03-20-2009, 10:54 PM
What do you tow cat?Nothing now. :( I was hauling cars on a 24' trailer until the boss lost his Lexus contract. I hauled a $120,000 LS600 Hybrid once.

Expensive Date
03-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Nothing now. :( I was hauling cars on a 24' trailer until the boss lost his Lexus contract. I hauled a $120,000 LS600 Hybrid once.

Hauling a hybrid with a truck that gets like 15mpg thats funny

catmando
03-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Hauling a hybrid with a truck that gets like 15mpg thats funnyYeah it does sound strange but we had the contract for Lexus dealer trades and swaps. I would take a car down and bring one back(most of the time). If I had to deadhead over or back I got 50% of the one-way price so that wasn't too bad. He lost the contract last summer and I haven't worked since. :(

Ratickle
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah it does sound strange but we had the contract for Lexus dealer trades and swaps. I would take a car down and bring one back(most of the time). If I had to deadhead over or back I got 50% of the one-way price so that wasn't too bad. He lost the contract last summer and I haven't worked since. :(

That sucks...:(