PDA

View Full Version : Remote routing for block drains

Tony
10-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Has anyone ever plumbed block drains to a remote location? My engines are rediculously tight in the bilge and getting to the inside drain plugs is next to impossible without striping down the engines. I was thinking of plumbing them to more accessible location with drain cocks on the ends. My only concern is the build up of debris in the remote line causing them to plug, Thoughts....

Rexone
10-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Has anyone ever plumbed block drains to a remote location? My engines are rediculously tight in the bilge and getting to the inside drain plugs is next to impossible without striping down the engines. I was thinking of plumbing them to more accessible location with drain cocks on the ends. My only concern is the build up of debris in the remote line causing them to plug, Thoughts....

I think it's a great idea. I would use ss fittings and make sure you open the drains when you flush the engines to get all the salt out of those lines.

You just have to remember to shut them before using the boat again. :eek:

Tony
10-11-2008, 09:10 AM
freshwater.

Rexone
10-11-2008, 09:15 AM
freshwater.

All the better... :)

10-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Although not remote, I did use 1/4th" ball valves plumbed into the block to ease in the draining process. It is very tight to get to them but I can slip a drain hose on the nipple and open them with my fingers.

I could not find them in S.S. and had to use brass.

Griff
10-20-2008, 11:49 PM
My friends 2002 Formula 353 had them on when he got the boat. I think they were factory installed. I don't think they would work for me. I always have a little sand at the block drains that needs to be cleared before any water will come out.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Many Formulas have remote drain hoses on them. I have installed them on some other boats while motors are out for one reason or another. Yes the sand and scaling will collect and clog. I would suggest using straight fittings at the block and assume you may have to use a coat hanger to clear at sometime when securing hoses. And it doesn't hurt to flush them clear mid season.

FULL FORCE
10-21-2008, 05:47 AM
The 353's have them factory, a friends has them too..

I want tio add them to mine, i forgot when the engines were out this summer.

Strip Poker 388
10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
My friends 2002 Formula 353 had them on when he got the boat. I think they were factory installed. I don't think they would work for me. I always have a little sand at the block drains that needs to be cleared before any water will come out.

same here, alittle sand and rust flakes,thats why I measure water press at the crossover,ya can see it in the pick

LAKE EFFECT
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Check to Hardin Marine or Eddies, they have big selections of brass fittings. Go with straight fittings(like mentioned), also go with 1/2" barbed hose ends. The bigger hose will help prevent clogging. 1/4"npt to 1/2" barb in the blocks, and I brought the 2 hoses to a 3/8"npt tee with a 3/8"npt cap. The setup makes winterizing a breeze. FYI, when draining pinch off 1 hose at a time with needle nose to make sure neither side is clogged. I've had no issues so far.

RumRunner
11-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I've done it on race engines using stainless hard lines (make sure to support the lines so they don't break off from vibration) and then just put a 1/4 turn valve on the end.

t500hps
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
My Formula 382 came with them.....they will clog if uu-used all year. I usually try to open them 2-3 times a year and briefly start the motors with them open to clear them if they don't drain on their own. Of the 4, one of them wouldn't drain this year winterizing so I had to remove the entire brass fitting from the block and clear the hose (coat-hanger wouldn't clear it)

J-Bonz
11-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Check to Hardin Marine or Eddies, they have big selections of brass fittings. Go with straight fittings(like mentioned), also go with 1/2" barbed hose ends. The bigger hose will help prevent clogging. 1/4"npt to 1/2" barb in the blocks, and I brought the 2 hoses to a 3/8"npt tee with a 3/8"npt cap. The setup makes winterizing a breeze. FYI, when draining pinch off 1 hose at a time with needle nose to make sure neither side is clogged. I've had no issues so far.

Tony, I have to agree with Lake Effect. We also put them on the cig after taking to long to drain the blocks for winterizing. For your case, you better after every weekend
Jr.