PDA

View Full Version : #2 Speedmaster

baditude
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
im looking for a more reliable maybe better performing overdrive for my my 25' larson senza it has a 260 alpha 1 on it now but im tired of breaking stuff in it and am always worried when i go out it will break the boat has around a 425 horse small block. I have found a rebuilt speedmaster #2 that's rebuilt that's cheaper than i have found a bravo for. I was wondering if it would work for my boat or if it would be a waste of time and money

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
im looking for a more reliable maybe better performing overdrive for my my 25' larson senza it has a 260 alpha 1 on it now but im tired of breaking stuff in it and am always worried when i go out it will break the boat has around a 425 horse small block. I have found a rebuilt speedmaster #2 that's rebuilt that's cheaper than i have found a bravo for. I was wondering if it would work for my boat or if it would be a waste of time and money

I don't think the #2 is the way to go. It with demand a rerig to add a transmission and recut the transom. The bravo will be much easier and likely to be cheaper in the long run. There are numerous upgrade options for bravos too. You may find your self in a availability problem servicing the #2 in the future. The #2 was originally offered with 400's.

With a bravo you fill only need to change pieces on the transom and possible a few shift linkage things. The motor can stay in its original location.

Offshore Ginger
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think the #2 is the way to go. It with demand a rerig to add a transmission and recut the transom. The bravo will be much easier and likely to be cheaper in the long run. There are numerous upgrade options for bravos too. You may find your self in a availability problem servicing the #2 in the future. The #2 was originally offered with 400's.

With a bravo you fill only need to change pieces on the transom and possible a few shift linkage things. The motor can stay in its original location. I agree 100 % Bravo ..........................:)

Chris
01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
II's are fragile and the parts are rare and very expensive. And now you have the issue of having to buy very expensive props for it. Plus, unless you are running over 75, you'll see zero speed benefit. And a small block at 425 horse isn't going to get you close to that in a 25' Larson.

Audiofn
02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Go Bravo. The #2 as Chris said is a rare bird and parts are very hard to get. The #2 will also beyond needing the transmision and moving the engine forward about 18 inches be much deeper in the water. The Bravo should last fine and will require very little in the way of modification.