PDA

View Full Version : 312 Stinger - Glass lamination Stringer area

HiZ
01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I have a 87 312 and the port side stringer and the "main cross support" (not sure what to call it) but where the stringer meets and it forms to the hull and houses the fuel tank etc. Batteries and switches. It is perpendicular to the hull and runs side to side.

Question:
Where this meets with the outer side hull the glass has seperated at one point and the stringer side lamination has also craked and pulled apart. The stringer is solid and it seems fresh. I spoke with the previous owner that I purchased it from last year, and it was not noticed. However I did not ever have the boat is and swells at all.

Mainly, what are some key things to look for when making the repair?
I have done many many glass and lamination repairs to boats, planes, etc.
I am just curious as to some possible things to look for or maybe something with this Old sexy ChrisCraft that I should look into when getting into this.

Thank you

glassdave
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
those are known as bulkheads. When you do the repair just make sure that all bad and demaniated glass is completly ground away. I had a 260 that did the same thing. Just needed to be re tabbed.

HiZ
01-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Bulkhead, Yeah - Thank you.:dupe:
I could not think of it Wow.
Ok, that's all that I needed to know
Thank you :sifone:

fund razor
01-30-2009, 08:23 AM
I had a 260 also, and I think that there were some minor delam issues around that year. (1987) I had just a little loose tabbing myself at the transom. Was a fairly minor repair while an engine was out. Good luck.