PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to Detroit Metro/St. Clair area

torrent
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Just moved to the area and I was wondering the best places to go boating and meet new people that enjoy boating.
I normally boat in the Saginaw Bay mostly because the launch was 5 blocks away.
Any info on where the typical boater hangouts on and off the water in the area would be great.

Davidmnc
01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
15805Why would anybody move to Detroit? :huh: You must have lived next door to Stecz! 15806 And all the sheep were making you nervous!15807

Just kidding........Welcome to SOS!! :seeya:

torrent
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Believe it or not this is where my job took me. But I hear the water color is closer to blue than brown!!!

Racegirl3
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Believe it or not this is where my job took me. But I hear the water color is closer to blue than brown!!!

True ... in the town of St Clair which is on the St Clair river.. ... and thats different than Lake St Clair :D

J-Bonz
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
You gotta get down to the lake erie islands!! It is the best!!
Jr.

torrent
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Looks like fun, I will have to check it out. We should get together and do some boating.

Offshore Ginger
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Just moved to the area and I was wondering the best places to go boating and meet new people that enjoy boating.
Any info on where the typical boater hangouts on and off the water in the area would be great. Dude i grew up in Saginaw worked at Thompson Boats and worked at the marina on Lee street which Mell now owns and have stayed in the business doing fiberglass repair working at S 2 YACHTS ,Powerquest , and Skater for over thirty years and now a privateer doing fiberglas repair . I have to say that i have always loved boating on the Saginaw bay and the Tawas area very good times . I have a friend who lives and boats in that area and he is always telling me how much fun he has on the weekend's in the Metro /St,Clair area . I have to say you will most likely get a ton of feed back on your question :rofl::rofl::rofl::biggrinjester: Artie

torrent
01-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Dude i grew up in Saginaw worked at Thompson Boats and worked at the marina on Lee street which Mell now owns and have stayed in the business doing fiberglass repair working at S 2 YACHTS ,Powerquest , and Skater for over thirty years and now a privateer doing fiberglas repair . I have to say that i have always loved boating on the Saginaw bay and the Tawas area very good times . I have a friend who lives and boats in that area and he is always telling me how much fun he has on the weekend's in the Metro /St,Clair area . I have to say you will most likely get a ton of feed back on your question :rofl::rofl::rofl::biggrinjester: Artie

I know Mel personally he helped get some parts for my boat on a Sunday. He was the only place that had them.

fund razor
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Detroit is actually a great place to boat from. You have Lake St. Clair and Huron. You can come down the Detroit River past Belle Isle, Grosse Pointe and Grosse Ile. There are several restaurant/bars with dockage. The Detroit Yacht Club is very cool. There are yacht clubs around that are AYC affiliated with reciprocal guest priviledges. Heading south you have Sterling State Park with swimming, Clammdiggers up the River Raisin in Monroe. From there... an east-southeasterly line connects you with the Erie Islands maybe 20ish miles out. Put in Bay and Kelley's.

Wrinkleface
01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Metro beach(16 mile) is a big hang out, Gull island just southeast across St. Clair is a big party place. Like Fund said, Jacks & The Beach Grill eateries down in the 9 mile area R very popular!! Have fun! Tracy

baronmarine
01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Dude i grew up in Saginaw worked at Thompson Boats and worked at the marina on Lee street which Mell now owns and have stayed in the business doing fiberglass repair working at S 2 YACHTS ,Powerquest , and Skater for over thirty years and now a privateer doing fiberglas repair . I have to say that i have always loved boating on the Saginaw bay and the Tawas area very good times . I have a friend who lives and boats in that area and he is always telling me how much fun he has on the weekend's in the Metro /St,Clair area . I have to say you will most likely get a ton of feed back on your question :rofl::rofl::rofl::biggrinjester: Artie

30 years in the glass bizz. thats a lot of candles on the cake art. lol. i kill myself

torrent: lake st clair is a great time we have been there a few times and always enjoyed our selfs. stop by the west coast sometime.
btw boyne rules!!

grey haired todd

torrent
01-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Baron
I am planning on runnin up to boyne this year for the pr but my exhaust is a bit loud for the Grand Haven area.

RLJ676
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Welcome to Detroit, it's not that bad, and Birmingham is a very cool area. I'm in Royal Oak and moved here from out of town just under 3 years ago.

I don't have much on the water advice, as I'm buying my first boat to put on St Clair this spring.:sifone:

What kind of "hangout" are you looking for? The "moot" (muscamoot bay) is the local party cove, and the bars mentioned are all pretty cool.

Also, check the http://www.lakestclair.net/ for lots of local info.

Glad to hear there's still some jobs here.:)

MattBMiller
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
There's a group of us that usually hang out on the seawall at Jacks on Friday nights in the summer. Usually a run up the river or to Muscamoot the next day.

Are you going to be trailering or at a marina?

2TR
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Any info on where the typical boater hangouts on and off the water in the area would be great.

Well welcome to the area.. Muscamoot bay or "The Moot" is the place (party) to be at each and every weekend. To put it mildly "it's like Havasu on Labor Day" .. so dont bring the kids unless you stay far away..

We have 2 great local site for bay info.

www.lakestclair.net ; Great site, but they even describe it as "G Rated"

www.themoot.net ; this site is a Little crazy, older group but hard core boaters and good people that enjoy a good time. (I'm a admin) we are a tight group were everyone knows everyone.. definitely not a G rated site.. maybe R rated.. :biggrinjester:

Good weekend water bars :

Browns; They have a sour dough Burger that is great, but in all honestly I only eat them after I spent the day in the bay drinking. You could deep fry and feed me my shoe and I would love it.

Decker's: Great food, lots of over night free docking, strong drinks and cheap prices.

couple pictures from a "normal day in the bay" hope this help..

torrent
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
There's a group of us that usually hang out on the seawall at Jacks on Friday nights in the summer. Usually a run up the river or to Muscamoot the next day.

Are you going to be trailering or at a marina?

I will be trailering. Sounds good, we will have to get together.

Ms PatriYacht
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
What type of boat and lenght do you have?

olredalert
04-19-2009, 11:14 AM
------The small harbor in St.Clair on the river (not St.Clair Shores) is great! They host the BWORA races every summer and Pepper Jacks restaurant has some good grub and suds. You can also go a bit further up the river to Port Huron and there are several good holes on the Black River. Also, need to check out some of the great places in Sarnia. All the above are actually pretty close and make for a great day on the water.........Bill S

MattBMiller
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
------The small harbor in St.Clair on the river (not St.Clair Shores) is great! They host the BWORA races every summer and Pepper Jacks restaurant has some good grub and suds. You can also go a bit further up the river to Port Huron and there are several good holes on the Black River. Also, need to check out some of the great places in Sarnia. All the above are actually pretty close and make for a great day on the water.........Bill S

RumRunners in Port Huron is a good run from St Clair.