PDA

View Full Version : New Hand Gun for Wife, Opinions Wanted.....

Sea-Dated
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I have narrowed it down to 3. Which one would you choose?

She is still learning to shoot and just trying to get down the fundamentals. She is not going for expert marksman or anything like that.

Sig Sauer .22
Walther .22
Baretta .22

stainless
01-28-2009, 03:43 PM
walther

Chris
01-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I just saw somewhere they're blowing the Walthers out. really cheap. They're decent pistols.

It may have been CDNN Investments.

gerritm
01-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I would take her to the local gun show and see which one fits her hand and feels comfortable. That's what I did with my wife and she is very happy with the Beretta. They are all good quality firearms. I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. The Sig and the Walther are more like standard semi auto firearms. If you are going to try and get her to shoot higher calibers, they might give her a better feel for the typical semi. If you are shooting target, I would go with the Beretta. Very accurate with longer barrel and you have the weaver rail on top so you can add a scope or red dot sight.

jet
01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
I own a Baretta 22...nice gun very accurate

Audiofn
01-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Is this to carry/protection or shoot at the range? If it is to just shoot at the range then they are all good guns and have her hold them all and see what fits her. It is a fairly personal thing. If it is to cary then I would go more towards a revolver, less moving parts/risk for failure and you can just grab and fire. You grab a semi to high and the cycle of the gun can leave some nasty tracks.

getchasum111
01-29-2009, 08:57 AM
i would go with the sig or walther...but i would go with plain blued gun....if she needs to use it and hide in the dark you don't need that hot pink glowing and giving up her position....

Sea-Dated
01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
This is for the range to try to get her used to guns and eventually get her shooing hight calibers. She will not be carrying this gun at all. Just range practice. I will take her to the gun shop and let her feel them and see which one she likes the best.

I would rather have a blue one than the pink but sheis excited about the pink (girly) and I doubt I would be able to change her mind.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

getchasum111
01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
This is for the range to try to get her used to guns and eventually get her shooing hight calibers. She will not be carrying this gun at all. Just range practice. I will take her to the gun shop and let her feel them and see which one she likes the best.

I would rather have a blue one than the pink but sheis excited about the pink (girly) and I doubt I would be able to change her mind.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

i understand totally....if we don't make them happy.....somehow they make sure were not happy.....funny how that works huh....

HiZ
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
All 3 of these are good guns
I have shot the Walther and Beretta
She needs to see what is the most comfortable in her hand
Beretta has a very small grip and if she has a small frame/hands there you go
As far a reliability accuracy etc.
I'm not positive I could give valued feedback from a personal point
But on reviews from editors online - it seems they are all in the same caliber!

Wardey
02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
My wife has and carries a Smith & Wesson Airweight J-Frame. No hammer to get caught up in things. If she leaves her business or a mall, etc. she can have it in her hand inside her purse. If something goes down, she can fire 5 rounds through her purse without any hang ups. Dave

Madcow
02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Another gun you may want to consider is a Ruger Standard. May be easier to shoot. I have found some people have a harder time with the balance of a composite framed gun to start off with. And this is a nice reliable target gun.

Uncle Dave
02-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I have narrowed it down to 3. Which one would you choose?

She is still learning to shoot and just trying to get down the fundamentals. She is not going for expert marksman or anything like that.

Sig Sauer .22
Walther .22
Baretta .22

Of these three- the sig. Nothing like german ordinance.

I teach women beginners on a small frame Smith and Wesson 22 Revolver- less hassle than a clip, easier yet to shoot, and zero stovepiping or failures.
This way they also learn single and double action shooting right off the bat.

After this we explore automatics and larger revolvers.

The Ruger madcow is showing (MkII?) us a GREAT gun.
the browning buckmark is superb and cheap.

The advice about fitting her hand is excellent advice- I would take her to a gun store ( as a "favor for her"- but its really for you!!! like a maid)

Most ranges rent small handguns of all types- this is the best way to learn what she gravitates to.

She got a sister?

Uncle Dave

tunnelvision69
02-04-2009, 12:03 AM
a friend of mine who is a cop just bought a kel-tec .380 for his wife & it will fit in your back pocket. sweet gun

Never Enuff
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
If you plan on buying an semi-auto for your wife or girlfriend to carry make sure you have her shoot one exactly like the one your are thinking about purchasing. I bought "the boss" a .380 Walther for her to carry gun and then found out later at the range she had "limp wrist".(the problem has been cured after 100's and 100's of rounds). In my experience this is fairly common among women. Just something to consider before the purchase.
Jay

X-Rated30
02-04-2009, 03:53 AM
The Walther - I bought my did one and he loves it! They make a barrel extension that his came with and it is worth the extra 80 bucks. Very accurate and fun to shoot. he liked it so much, I gave another one to a buddy. He loves it too.

Sea-Dated
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Finally got her to range on Saturday and ended up buying the Walther. Luckily they were out of the pink ones and they had no idea when they would get more in so I got her to go with the black/nickel one.

Sea-Dated
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
My wife has and carries a Smith & Wesson Airweight J-Frame. No hammer to get caught up in things. If she leaves her business or a mall, etc. she can have it in her hand inside her purse. If something goes down, she can fire 5 rounds through her purse without any hang ups. Dave

My Mom carries this gun and loves it. A little too light for my taste though. Nice piece though.

Sea-Dated
02-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Of these three- the sig. Nothing like german ordinance.

I teach women beginners on a small frame Smith and Wesson 22 Revolver- less hassle than a clip, easier yet to shoot, and zero stovepiping or failures.
This way they also learn single and double action shooting right off the bat.

After this we explore automatics and larger revolvers.

The Ruger madcow is showing (MkII?) us a GREAT gun.
the browning buckmark is superb and cheap.

The advice about fitting her hand is excellent advice- I would take her to a gun store ( as a "favor for her"- but its really for you!!! like a maid)

Most ranges rent small handguns of all types- this is the best way to learn what she gravitates to.

She got a sister?

Uncle Dave

Sorry Uncle Dave, she is a spoiled only child......:biggrinjester:

Slandrew
02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Sig:)1st shot goes off easy:ack2:

KENNYO
02-18-2009, 10:52 AM

What did you pay for that. My wife wants one.

I see a bullet in my future!

Tony
02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
You can find the airweights in 3 to 400 range. I highly reccomend the concealed hammer version. I have the DAO model and the long stiff trigger pull takes a while to master. Add to that the 1-3/8" barrel with +P defense ammo and putting all 5 shots in the pie plate at 15' is harder than you might think.

Slick02
02-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I agree with Wardey, J frame Smith airweight with a shrouded hammer,,pretty much a goof proof weapon for a woman, not meaning to knock women, but with an automatic once it's cocked they won't know what to do if they don't have to fire and if it does jam they won't know how to clear it....But like anything else, their ARE exceptions to the woman thing. When I was married my wife at the time got a concealed weapons permit and when we went to the range and I let her try a couple of my automatics she wasn't comfortable with them(and I wasn't comfortable watching the way she handled an automatic) so she ended up with the J frame airweight Smith as pictured in Wardey's post(except without the pink grips,,,sheesh)

Uncle Dave
02-19-2009, 11:59 PM
You can find the airweights in 3 to 400 range. I highly reccomend the concealed hammer version. I have the DAO model and the long stiff trigger pull takes a while to master. Add to that the 1-3/8" barrel with +P defense ammo and putting all 5 shots in the pie plate at 15' is harder than you might think.

definitely a cool piece, but as you said- pretty hard to group with a small handgun and a double action only style shooting. Women are usually down a little hand strength on guys and the double action squeeze makes it even harder for them to shoot this way than us.

My babe decided rather than risk the % of a small hammer snagging in a handbag scene - she would gladly give up a few % chance of success in that arena - for much better acuracy in a single action draw down situation.

She settled on a Ruger sp-101 357Magnum with a trigger/spring kit loaded with +P glasers as the "carry piece".

Arent firearms just awesome!

Uncle Dave

Slick02
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I didn't buy my ex'es gun for her to target practice,I bought it for self defense(20ft or so) we spent enough time at the range to make sure she could hit a man sized target at the 20 to 25 ft mark,and I opted for her safety(and those innocent bystanders around her if she ever did have to pull it, hence no automatic)

Wardey
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
What did you pay for that. My wife wants one.

I see a bullet in my future!

I think I paid around $375.00 and hers doesn't have pink grips either. I can shoot it with a close grouping at 30 yards and she has no problem hitting the "kill zone" with it also. I wouldn't want her to have an semi-auto. It also makes a great ankle gun. Dave

Tommy Gun
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
My wife completed her CC class Sunday; first time ever shooting a hand gun; she shot 50 rounds with a 22 revolver and 50 with the Glock 19 9mm; then qualified with the Glock. Her accuracy with the Glock was significantly better. When qualifiying, not a single shot was outside the 8...the requirement for LE. all without a single limp wrist issue...I was impressed.

baywatch
03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
My wife completed her CC class Sunday; first time ever shooting a hand gun; she shot 50 rounds with a 22 revolver and 50 with the Glock 19 9mm; then qualified with the Glock. Her accuracy with the Glock was significantly better. When qualifiying, not a single shot was outside the 8...the requirement for LE. all without a single limp wrist issue...I was impressed.

tell her congrats!!!

Sea-Dated
03-09-2009, 11:31 PM

Congrats to her!!!! Now just don't piss her off!!!!:sifone:

Wardey
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Congrats to her !!! Dave

Need-the-Speed
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Glock 26 with Glock 17 +2 Clip.

gerritm
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Congrats, I wish I could get my wife to go. She likes to shoot, but doesn't want to carry.

Wardey
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Congrats, I wish I could get my wife to go. She likes to shoot, but doesn't want to carry.

Tell her she should get it anyhow, even if she doesn't want to carry. This is one of our rights that the obamotics is trying to stop. Tell her to get it while she can. Dave

Slick02
03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I think I paid around $375.00 and hers doesn't have pink grips either. I can shoot it with a close grouping at 30 yards and she has no problem hitting the "kill zone" with it also. I wouldn't want her to have an semi-auto. It also makes a great ankle gun. Dave

I see you opted for the no hammer version for your backup..The ankle holster thing doesn't work for me, I wear boots 15hrs a day.

Tony
03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I see you opted for the no hammer version for your backup..The ankle holster thing doesn't work for me, I wear boots 15hrs a day.

Uncle Mikes makes a cheap IWB (inside the waistband) holster for the J frame that works great. You can hardly feel it, let alone see it.

Wardey
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM

I usually don't ankle carry either, only if i'm in dress clothes and have a nice shirt tucked in, and the gun "prints" badly. I like the inside the wiasteband "super tuck" holsters from Crossbreed (http://crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html ) , and with that I either carry a Kahr CW.45 or a Springfield XD.40M. Dave

Sea-Dated
03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I usually don't ankle carry either, only if i'm in dress clothes and have a nice shirt tucked in, and the gun "prints" badly. I like the inside the wiasteband "super tuck" holsters from Crossbreed (http://crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html ) , and with that I either carry a Kahr CW.45 or a Springfield XD.40M. Dave

I like the Crossbreed hoslters alot but I found the Com-Tac to be more comfortable with the wide body of my XD .40.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=89ldj6e6lb3o304kpq7nd1g7u3

They are both very similar but the Comp-Tac you can change out the kydex piece depending on what gun you want to carry so you only have 1 holster with different bodies if you want.

WMF
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
a friend of mine who is a cop just bought a kel-tec .380 for his wife & it will fit in your back pocket. sweet gun

I have 2 of these guns and love them, small, compact and easy to conceal, but they have a lot of kick back and are loud!!! I think they make them in pink!!

Slick02
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
In t-shirts I carry a Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380 in a Galco inside the waistband in the small of my back, and when wearing a jacket I carry a Kimber Ultra Ten II in a High Noon Closing Argument holster, and then carry a Freedom Arms 22lr pocket revolver(fits in the palm of your hand for those "just in case moments") all of the time.