PDA

View Full Version : GMC heated seat isn't working

sledge
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
'02 Denali XL. Used to work fine. Button still lights, no fuses blown, seat otherwise works fine. Haven't put a meter on the connection yet to confirm power. Anybody ever replace a heating element in one of these?

Sea-Dated
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I had one go out on a Grand Cherokee but it was replaced under warranty. Don't know if they replaced the seat or the element though.

Airpacker
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
9 x out of 10 the element breaks right where the wiring attaches to the printed circuit under the upholestry

Ted
01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
And it is usually the bottom element from "Biggus Toukas" .

sledge
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
And it is usually the bottom element from "Biggus Toukas" .

You speak from experience? :26: Have you run the Formula since all the work?

20k miles/year means my @ss has been planted in that seat way more than it should.

It's been in the 60s here in FL at night and this week we'll see lows in the 40s. I'm gonna die without my heated seats. :03:

Chris
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I've repaired a couple. No big deal.

You should be able to unplug the seat and measure for continuity- unless you have back heat and that's still operating. If it's open you need to replace it.

Pull the seat out and open up the d-ring clips that hold the cover to the frame. Some also have a plastic U-channel that grips the frame as well. They're easier to take off than put back on- do it in a warm place- makes it much easier. You don't have to take the cover completely off- usually if you get the front and sides loose you can do the repair.

Anyway, the elements are typically under a spun fiber pad but on top of (or slightly embedded in) the foam of the cushion. Pull it out, Use 3M General Trim Adhesive (make sure to follow the instructions or it'll slip)to secure the new element and replace the pad, then put it back together and reassemble.

Ted
01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
You speak from experience? :26: Have you run the Formula since all the work?

20k miles/year means my @ss has been planted in that seat way more than it should.

It's been in the 60s here in FL at night and this week we'll see lows in the 40s. I'm gonna die without my heated seats. :03:

Although I have a pretty fair case of Biggus Toukas, I am in the business so I know these things. Formula ran great till the last day of the season, then I lost a starter.

I hear ya about the weather, we pulled into Tampa on Saturday and it was 40 :ack2: Still beats 20 up here.

sledge
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Neither back nor bottom is working. So can I get away with just swapping the bottom due to the broken connection? Without having it in front of me, not sure if there's seperate wiring...

Chris
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
If neither are working, my guess is that the units are OK and you either have a broken feed wire or another problem. Those units operate off of a relay- just because you have a pilot lamp on doesn't mean you're getting current to the seat. in fact, your switch current is likely in another circuit separate from what's feeding the heater power relay.

sledge
01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I was thinking bad relay, but the owner's manual doesn't show an exclusive relay and nothing else is NOT working. Passenger side working fine. I just gotta stick it with a meter already...

Chris
01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I was thinking bad relay, but the owner's manual doesn't show an exclusive relay and nothing else is NOT working. Passenger side working fine. I just gotta stick it with a meter already...

Could be as simple as your snow brush got jammed under the seat and pulled the plug out.

Ted
01-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Those have a door module that controls the system. If you aren't getting power to the seat connectors and the lights are lit you most likely have a bad module.

sledge
01-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Could be as simple as your snow brush got jammed under the seat and pulled the plug out.

What's a snow brush? What's snow for that matter? :sifone: Brrrrr....wind chills in the 30s here in south Florida.

Main connector good, I've got to take the seat out to get a good look at what else is underneath. Seat cover is gonna be a bit more involved it looks like also.

Getting juice at the connector (little blue wire if somebody has a wiring diagram and can confirm; not the SRS blue wire BTW). Pass side is blue/blk stripe it appears.

Can't wait to hook up the 2nd row heated seats on this puppy...I hope they work.

sledge
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Ted, any insight as to the difference between '01-02 and '03-07? Found these on fleabay:
For the seat back, '01-02: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200293396644

For the seat bottom, '03-07: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200293708765

Ted
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't know for sure, but I would guess they have differemt resistances and should not be mixed.