PDA

View Full Version : GM power steering issue

catmando
01-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Power goes away during low-speed turns. Affects the Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado trucks; GMC Sierra and Yukon; Escalade and Hummer H2.

GM says it's a "non-issue" but lawsuits have been filed. Anybody on here having this problem? I have a Dodge so it doesn't affect me.

go4broke
01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I haven't run into it.

Expensive Date
01-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Never heard any thing about this and I am in GM dealerships alll the time.Curious what are you looking for?

inbetween
01-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm a GM dealer tech. Nothing here either. What's up?

cig1988
01-17-2009, 06:31 AM
I have that problem on my '99 Chevy dually. While it was under warranty the dealer told me it was normal.

searaycer
01-17-2009, 08:15 AM
My 03 Silverado SS acts this way, feels real funny in a parking lot, wheel kind of hunts from side to side. I was getting ready to have the dealer look at it, I will let you know what they say

inbetween
01-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Some one try a steering wheel position sensor. It's at the bottom of the steering column inside near where the shaft from the outside bolts on. should have an electrical connector on it. When those go bad, they cause some strange issues with low speed steering. Not a big problem with the trucks, but one that can be difficult verify without changing the part.

Pete
01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Some one try a steering wheel position sensor. It's at the bottom of the steering column inside near where the shaft from the outside bolts on. should have an electrical connector on it. When those go bad, they cause some strange issues with low speed steering. Not a big problem with the trucks, but one that can be difficult verify without changing the part.

Bingo. Have changed a few.

sledge
01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Is this a winter only thing? Is there still two part numbers for fluid, one for the colder climates?

It could also be drivers complaining about PS issues when it's actually a low idle not providing enough "power" to turn the pump. Once in a while mine will die when shifting from R to D and trying to turn the wheel at the same time.

Buoy
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
No problems with my 04 Avalanche. Although, it feels like it doesn't like having the wheel cranked to the max.

catmando
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Some one try a steering wheel position sensor. It's at the bottom of the steering column inside near where the shaft from the outside bolts on. should have an electrical connector on it. When those go bad, they cause some strange issues with low speed steering. Not a big problem with the trucks, but one that can be difficult verify without changing the part.GM says the problem is caused by a "lack of pressure in the power steering system" and can be "aggravated by low tire pressure, worn tires and tires larger than stock size". GM says it happens when "brakes are applied at the same time the wheels are turned" as in parking and low-speed maneuvering. Some drivers say they end up occupying two spots because of the lack of power to the steering, making it very difficult to turn the vehicle.

In November a Wisconsin jury awarded $120,000 to a contractor who said he was often unable to steer his GMC pickup in parking maneuvers and was denied a refund or a new vehicle when he complained to the dealer and GM.

This article was in my Friday paper, I guess because Arlington is home to what will probably be the last plant building GM SUVs.

Buoy
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
GM says the problem is caused by a "lack of pressure in the power steering system" and can be "aggravated by low tire pressure, worn tires and tires larger than stock size". GM says it happens when "brakes are applied at the same time the wheels are turned" as in parking and low-speed maneuvering. Some drivers say they end up occupying two spots because of the lack of power to the steering, making it very difficult to turn the vehicle.

In November a Wisconsin jury awarded $120,000 to a contractor who said he was often unable to steer his GMC pickup in parking maneuvers and was denied a refund or a new vehicle when he complained to the dealer and GM.

This article was in my Friday paper, I guess because Arlington is home to what will probably be the last plant building GM SUVs.

Good Lord!!!
$120K hand out because the guy can't learn how to drive his own truck???
In my best Jeff Foxworthy voice "You might be a Democrat"

It's no different than learning how to drive YOUR boat. They all act a bit different.
My Avalanche has a much better turn radius than my 96' 1500 that I moved out of. Looking for someone to cut you a check because you don't know how to park the thing...
Give me a fruckin break.

I don't see where this is a safety issue, it is stated this is during low speed (parking lot) turning while also on the brakes.
Learn how to drive your truck.

catmando
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Good Lord!!!
$120K hand out because the guy can't learn how to drive his own truck???
In my best Jeff Foxworthy voice "You might be a Democrat"

It's no different than learning how to drive YOUR boat. They all act a bit different.
My Avalanche has a much better turn radius than my 96' 1500 that I moved out of. Looking for someone to cut you a check because you don't know how to park the thing...
Give me a fruckin break.

I don't see where this is a safety issue, it is stated this is during low speed (parking lot) turning while also on the brakes.
Learn how to drive your truck.Your power steering is not supposed to go away under any circumstances. The fact that several people posting here have the problem should indicate to you that it's not a driving problem but a mechanical issue.

If I had this problem I would definitely be at the dealer every day until it was fixed.

BUIZILLA
03-18-2009, 05:40 AM
whats the purpose of power steering if it doesn't power?

sledge
03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
If I had this problem I would definitely be at the dealer every day until it was fixed.

Sitting around waiting for somebody else to do something for you. Sounds typical...

There's nothing wrong with the power steering system. More like "operator error." :seeya:

torrent
03-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Does this truck have a hydro boost brake system? If it does, the steering will seem stiffer when you're applying the brakes. The reason for this is the power steering pump is also the pump that provides assist for the brake system. This system is typically in 1500HD,2500, and 2500HD.

John P
03-23-2009, 08:02 AM
There is also a pressure control valve on the back of the pump GM has done away with and the SWPS was a big problem.

Chris
03-23-2009, 09:11 AM
There were/are two flaws in the GM system. The first as described was the sudden loss. The second is a sticking of an internal valve that causes over-pressurization. This makes for odd, twitchy steering. it almost feels like the coupler has broken off and the wheel is able to spin freely.

My Excursions don't have great power steering at slow speeds with the engine idling. But I know that as it acts like that 100% of the time. I can't spin the wheel with my palm and scoot into a parking space ever. I have to grab the wheel and turn. With the GM issue, you can make that same turn effortlessly 99% of the time. Every once in a while, it's like the pump tossed the belt. And at 2 MPH pull-into-the-space speeds, you're not going to finish the turn without 2 hands and a firm tug on the wheel. To me, that's a dangerous flaw.

The week between Christmas and New Years, my son was working for my sister on his break. He had just pulled into a parking space, popped the door and was getting ready to step out. One of my sister's other employees was pulling into the space next to him and this happened to her car. She hit his car in the slightly open driver's door and slammed it shut. 5 seconds later, he'd have lost a leg- at a bare minimum.

I still remember Ford's cost-benefit analysis on having school bus fuel tanks located right below and behind the entrance door on the ouboard of the frame. The calculated that the cost of incinerating a few kids was less than a recall to shield or move the tanks.