PDA

View Full Version : Water in Forward Bilge

Floatindirty
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I had to vaccum out and water was contaminated with gas!!! Its on a 42' Lightning so theres 4 tanks, new boat to me and has never been run on main tanks (always been run on saddle tanks). Are these main tanks prone to leaking fuel? Whats the fix? Just by glancing at the boat theres not any access to main tanks except two 6" doors under rear seat, all I could tell is that they are maybe aluminum/ metal. Any tests to see IF they are indeed leaking? Im pretty bummed it looks like a nightmare if they need to be pulled :(

Davidmnc
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the site Floatin...........I am not the guy, but some one here should be able to help.

glassdave
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
be VERY careful using a shop vac on any fuel contaminated water. try to use another method of removing the water the motors are not sealed and could cause vapor explosion

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-15-2009, 12:08 AM
I had to vaccum out and water was contaminated with gas!!! Its on a 42' Lightning so theres 4 tanks, new boat to me and has never been run on main tanks (always been run on saddle tanks). Are these main tanks prone to leaking fuel? Whats the fix? Just by glancing at the boat theres not any access to main tanks except two 6" doors under rear seat, all I could tell is that they are maybe aluminum/ metal. Any tests to see IF they are indeed leaking? Im pretty bummed it looks like a nightmare if they need to be pulled :(

A aluminum fuel tank is salt areas have a life possible as short as 10 years. If the area around the tank is wet from water lying in it it makes it worse.
like Glassdave said do not use a shop vac. Be careful and ventilate the boat well with fans.

I have changed many fuel tanks over the years. It is a nasty job. The first step is to inspect all of your fuel lines,fill vent,and the ones to the motors. Fuel lines have dates on them. IMO 10 years is the max you should depend on them. The next step is to pressure check the tank. The tag will tell you at what pressure it was checked when it was new. It is located near the pick ups for the motors. Usually its round 2 or 3 pounds. If you over pressure it you will make a problem.

You should have access to all fuel hoses. If the tanks are bad it is some thing a shop should do. If you have a cockpit liner it makes so paint work necessary. Round numbers it is about a hundred hour job to replace both tanks in the floor. They are foamed in and glassed over. And the entire interior needs to be removed. Liner or floor removed and replaced.

I hope you find an easy remedy.
Good luck,

John P
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Back to the water thing where is it coming from? I have several customers with Fountains and all have water that comes into the step in the cabin. I have checked all thru-hulls and fixed all cracks in the stepped hull area. The engine compartment stays dry. From what I can tell there is not a drain from the front of the boat to the back on a stepped hull. I have looked at some to buy but they all have the same issue, some of them have added a extra pump to help keep the water out. Any Help or thoughts on where to look next!

38fountainSC
01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Floatin I had this problem with a fountain I purchased this spring. I was thinking fuel tanks too but it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. The tube was missing from the pump to the carb. If thats not the problem check the fuel sending units I have heard they leak around there.

phragle
01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
:willy_nilly::svengo:from beaks to leaks.. EEEKKKKKK!

Beak Boater
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Back to the water thing where is it coming from? I have several customers with Fountains and all have water that comes into the step in the cabin. I have checked all thru-hulls and fixed all cracks in the stepped hull area. The engine compartment stays dry. From what I can tell there is not a drain from the front of the boat to the back on a stepped hull. I have looked at some to buy but they all have the same issue, some of them have added a extra pump to help keep the water out. Any Help or thoughts on where to look next!
Some models had the cooler drain into the bilge also the anchor locker if equiped. Some drain overboard, but the hose comes off under the sink and then drain into the bilge. Fountains on the trailer are decieving. It looks like the stern is the lowest point but the bow area really sits lower than the stern. The two areas are supposed to be sealed at the fuel tanks so no water in the bilge or fuel, if you have a leak gets forward. I have found that it will get around the tanks some way and goes to the lowest point in the bow thats why Fountain puts that bilge pump under the step. Pull the drain plugs and put a bucket under the drains. Jack the bow up with a floor jack higher than you usually would and see if you get anything in that bucket.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Raw un coated fiberglass can wick and absorb water where not coated with gelcoat. If water is lying some where in the boat it will ultimately do damage.

Keep all areas as dry as possible.

In forward areas and small sections the vacuum type oil change containers work well to suck up water with out danger from spark.

Floatindirty
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I know the water came from the cover (poles in cockpit colapsed) I had to leave it outside for about a month. The boat is sitting very low in the front and I cant see how fuel from motors could travel all that way.... looks like the fuel tanks divide the front half of boat from the rear bilge.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes the tanks are in a contained area separating the engine compartment from the forward bilge area. If you dry the forward area out and ventilate it well for a day or two with a fan does the smell of fuel persist?

The fuel fills and vents are likely in the forward area. You should be able to gain access for inspection.

Floatindirty
01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
are these tanks prone to leaking?

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Prone isn't fair or accurate IMO.

Can they yes. Some last for ever, some get wet and leak.

I would not assume anything. Systematically check everything.

John P
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Some models had the cooler drain into the bilge also the anchor locker if equiped. Some drain overboard, but the hose comes off under the sink and then drain into the bilge. Fountains on the trailer are decieving. It looks like the stern is the lowest point but the bow area really sits lower than the stern. The two areas are supposed to be sealed at the fuel tanks so no water in the bilge or fuel, if you have a leak gets forward. I have found that it will get around the tanks some way and goes to the lowest point in the bow thats why Fountain puts that bilge pump under the step. Pull the drain plugs and put a bucket under the drains. Jack the bow up with a floor jack higher than you usually would and see if you get anything in that bucket.

It is not the sink drain or the anchor locker both have been checked. The water is coming from the section under the cock pit. There is a hole started in the step compartment from the water rotting the wood and you can watch it come in.You can dry it out and than put it in the water and just leave it set and in a hour or so the step in the cabin has water in it. The engine compartment is dry I have also checked the thur hull fittings as well.

Floatindirty
02-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok all the water is gone now but the fuel smell still remains, in fact very strong now I know its the tanks leaking. Im going to drain both main tanks 200 gallons :banghead: is there a way to put a liner in the tanks?

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-07-2009, 02:39 PM
If you are sure they are leaking.The foam around the tanks is saturated with fuel and that will lead to more problems.

Offshore Ginger
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
If you are sure they are leaking.The foam around the tanks is saturated with fuel and that will lead to more problems.Got that right and if you have to remove the tanks when they are encupslated around foam ,what a job and not to talk about what you might find after the tank's have been removed .

Offshore Ginger
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Just curious , what year is the boat ?