PDA

View Full Version : Dually Question/Opinion

Warlock28SXT
01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I have been considering a 06 RAM 3500 DRW with the 5.9 Cummins. I had a 06 2500 w/5.9. I loved the way it pulled my 28 Warlock. Here is the question. I did not think the ride was that much different from my 2500 than my current 08 1500 HEMI RAM (I did not want to buy a new truck with the 6.7) How are duallys as a daily driver? I really don't want to pull the boat this summer with my curent truck. It pulls it but I was much more comfortable in my 2500. Thanks in advance
Jason

jeff1000man
01-14-2009, 12:01 AM
I have been considering a 06 RAM 3500 DRW with the 5.9 Cummins. I had a 06 2500 w/5.9. I loved the way it pulled my 28 Warlock. Here is the question. I did not think the ride was that much different from my 2500 than my current 08 1500 HEMI RAM (I did not want to buy a new truck with the 6.7) How are duallys as a daily driver? I really don't want to pull the boat this summer with my curent truck. It pulls it but I was much more comfortable in my 2500. Thanks in advance
Jason

A powerboat owner should always own an extra dually just for pulling the boat. Buy a nice one and use it for just the boat, and it will be the last one you ever buy.

Now to the question at hand. It depends on where you live. If you have to go into the city, drivethroughs, toll booths, anywhere that women park, malls, restrunts. You will never get to park close to the door ever again. Mileage sucks, They ride like cadilacs on the freeway, but speedbumps will spill your beer. I guess you can get used to it. I drive mine everyonce in a while for errands and such, but it gets old after a while, and I go back to my 1500 that is my work truck. It is just less hassle, but driving a dually is still driving a dually, and they are almost the king of the road.

2004&2005 were the best years for the Dodge 3500 truck. Just hard to find them with low miles. In 04 the HO engine came out late in the year. In 05 it ran all year. Those are the ones to buy. Stay away from the transition year 2003, and for some reasons the new ones just don't seem to have a good reputation. Something to do with the new diesel and the emision crap that they put on them.

Good choice going with the cummins though.

catmando
01-14-2009, 12:18 AM
JasonI have a 2006 dually. The ride really sucks unless you put airbags on it, which I have done. My wife hates to ride in it. My truck is for sale with only 59,000 miles on it. It is set up to tow heavy but I only towed one car trailers with it. PM me for more information if you're interested.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the reply jeff, but I currently can't afford one of each, soon I hope. I'm not real worried about spilling my beer over a speed bump. A little JD in a coke bottle. It's like a sippie cup for big kids. The store thing is not really a factor if we have to run errands we take my fiances car. I have been looking for an 06 w5.9 like my old 2500 because I have the edge juice with attitude and a cold air kit for it. I know it sounds funny/cheap but I can come home install it w/no waiting. I hate ordering stuff and waiting for it to arrive. I got 20 MPG in my 2500 and about 14 MPG in my HEMI truck. If I got about then same as now I'd be fine with that with all the extra power/towing. I drive about 50/50 highway/city and just was wondering if I'm gonna have my teeth rattled out of my head.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 12:25 AM
I have a 2006 dually. The ride really sucks unless you put airbags on it, which I have done. My wife hates to ride in it. My truck is for sale with only 59,000 miles on it. It is set up to tow heavy but I only towed one car trailers with it. PM me for more information if you're interested.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear "the ride really sucks" I'll keep you in mind about your truck. Why are you selling it?

catmando
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Well that's not what I wanted to hear "the ride really sucks" I'll keep you in mind about your truck. Why are you selling it?Well duallys have more leafs and heavier spring rates than 2500s, just a fact of what they're designed to do, plus the two extra tires don't help ride quality either. The bags do help somewhat if you keep them over 10psi.

I'm retired from the road. I'm 65 years old, plus my wife doesn't want me out there now.

Truck is in great shape except for some minor damage to the right rear fender where some jerkoff did a hit and run last year. :mad: :mad: I like to keep my stuff looking good.

catmando
01-14-2009, 01:13 AM
My truck gets 21-22mpg@64mph(2000rpms) and 19-20@70. I'm using Opti-Lube fuel and oil additive which has raised my mileage 3 mpg.

The ride is acceptable for guys but most women don't like to ride in a dually. I have P235/80R17 Michelin LTX M&S tires on stock wheels. They ride real nice and are quiet. Rated to 80,000 miles, I have about 15,000 on them now.

old377guy
01-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Cat, I would never really want my dually as my daily driver for the reasons outlined above and they don't fit through the carwash. I keep an older low mileage dually in my warehouse just for pulling my boat. They can be bought for a song today and the small amount of mileage per year doesn't wear them out. Concept works well for me. Good luck - Jeff

catmando
01-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Cat, I would never really want my dually as my daily driver for the reasons outlined above and they don't fit through the carwash. I keep an older low mileage dually in my warehouse just for pulling my boat. They can be bought for a song today and the small amount of mileage per year doesn't wear them out. Concept works well for me. Good luck - JeffThere's a car wash near me that's wide enough but it costs twice as much as the wand-and-brush DIY wash I use. All I do after that is give the wheels and tires some extra love and it looks great. Oh and ShamWow too. :D

My truck is set up for heavy-duty towing and I just don't need it any more now that I'm off the road and boatless too. If I can't sell it by the time the 2010 models come out I'll trade for the new Dodge 1500 diesel.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. Maybe I should consider a 2500 5.9 again my boat is only about 8000lbs on the trailer(tri-axel steel). I was looking @ duallys yes for the extra comfort in towing ability and they look sweet, but if the ride is crap I may be better off with a 2500. Thanks again Jason

Slick02
01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, I just traded in my 06 F350 4x4 dually in and I loved it, (my accountant told me I needed to trade), the ride was kinda stiff with the 19.5 Michelin/Brentz wheels conversion but I bought a shortbed crew cab so parking, daily use wasn't an issue, this was my daily driver, and I'd do it again,,,the biggest thing you learn is to back in parking, it makes life alot easier.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, I just traded in my 06 F350 4x4 dually in and I loved it, (my accountant told me I needed to trade), the ride was kinda stiff with the 19.5 Michelin/Brentz wheels conversion but I bought a shortbed crew cab so parking, daily use wasn't an issue, this was my daily driver, and I'd do it again,,,the biggest thing you learn is to back in parking, it makes life alot easier.

I guess the biggest thing is that have never been in one. I loved my 2500 a bit stiff but fine in my book. I am mainly the only one in it. With the exception of going to the lake or up north with the sleds. I really need to drive/ride in one to see for myself. I can give up a bit of ride quality for ability.

MattBMiller
01-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I drive a dually every day. I took one of tha long leafs out of the packs and added airbags to make up for it. No complaints from me.

baywatch
01-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Why not a 3500 SRW? It has more towing capacity on paper and you still can get through the drive through.

I'm going through the same issue as you at the moment whether to go from the SRW to a DRW or get a newer less miles driven on it SRW.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I drive a dually every day. I took one of tha long leafs out of the packs and added airbags to make up for it. No complaints from me.

Good idea that's what I like to hear. Nice truck

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Why not a 3500 SRW? It has more towing capacity on paper and you still can get through the drive through.

I'm going through the same issue as you at the moment whether to go from the SRW to a DRW or get a newer less miles driven on it SRW.

Seeing as I am unsure when you figure it out let me know:) I thought about the SRW but if I'm going to a 1 ton I like the look of a dually. If I stop for fast food maybe walking in will counter act the crap I'm about to eat:rofl:

Quinlan
01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I like my Chevy 3500 srw. Pulls the Top Gun well too. I put Bags on it and seems to work. O and a LOUD azz horn too!!!

ZBODaytona
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Drive an 05 F350 4x4 drw every day, it is my second, won't ever be without. Speed bumps are a little rough..but i have been driving a drw everyday since 01, wife has a srw 2500 4x4 dodge, i don't notice much diference between the two. Wife doesn't mind driving mine, she just doesn't like the wide finders, so she parks in the back 40, never says anything about the ride. Heck they are trucks, they ride like trucks should...though if you add just a bit of weight they both ride better. You could always added water to the bed when empty and it will ride really nice, they make a thing that goes in there for that very reason... I don't have anything in mine..I will always have a 1 ton drw around the house, and never hesitate to drive it.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Drive an 05 F350 4x4 drw every day, it is my second, won't ever be without. Speed bumps are a little rough..but i have been driving a drw everyday since 01, wife has a srw 2500 4x4 dodge, i don't notice much diference between the two. Wife doesn't mind driving mine, she just doesn't like the wide finders, so she parks in the back 40, never says anything about the ride. Heck they are trucks, they ride like trucks should...though if you add just a bit of weight they both ride better. You could always added water to the bed when empty and it will ride really nice, they make a thing that goes in there for that very reason... I don't have anything in mine..I will always have a 1 ton drw around the house, and never hesitate to drive it.

That's a great comparison. I was wondering the diff between a 25 & 3500. If it's similar to my old 2500 I'm fine with that. I figured it would be more firm, just not a night and day difference between the two.

Seafordguy
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I daily drive my F350 dually with the loud ass 7.3 and a 6 speed Manual and love it (although I did make sure I got the lariat package). You get used to drive thrus and parking lots REAL quickly. Hell my wife and I use it when we travel despite the fact that we have an XJR jaguar sitting in the driveway - the dually is just EASY if you ask me, and I don't have to worry about putting mileage on it.

The only reason I woudl get rid of it was if I bought a bigger boat - then I would would think it time for a more "dedicated" tow vehicle (F-650, Topkick, OTR truck) and a little beater to go back and forth to work in.

MattBMiller
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Seeing as I am unsure when you figure it out let me know:) I thought about the SRW but if I'm going to a 1 ton I like the look of a dually. If I stop for fast food maybe walking in will counter act the crap I'm about to eat:rofl:

I have no problem going through a drive through. The mirrors are wider than the fenders.....

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I have no problem going through a drive through. The mirrors are wider than the fenders.....

Good to know I had/have the towing mirrors on both trucks.

catmando
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Best thing is to go to your local Dodge dealer and drive one. I was looking to buy a 4500, drove one and it rode better than my 3500. Matt is right, take a leaf out and install bags and you will see the ride improve tremendously. The water bladder in the bed is a good idea too. Duallys like weight back there.

nomomoney
01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I came from a 2006 F-250 King Ranch with air bags and all the goodies to my F-450.My 450 is my daily driver,it does ride a little stiff but it doesn't bother me.One thing that I love is the ride quality when pulling my Fountain.It never seems to be under any load.The 450 also turns sharper than my 250.

baywatch
01-14-2009, 12:59 PM

That is funny, maybe I should go DRW for some extra exercise as well.

I should make up my mind by the end February. The current SRW 3500 I use tows fine and is fine around town but when shopping there is virtually zero price difference between the SRW and DRW, so that why I was thinking maybe I should take the leap to the DRW.

Keep us updated on what you end up with as well.

-Josh

catmando
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I have no problem going through a drive through. The mirrors are wider than the fenders.....I have not found a drive-thru I couldn't drive through. Dodge duallys make great daily drivers. They are fast, easy to drive, the steering input is very quick, and mine has a U turn radius almost as tight as my Ranger Supercab's. When I park I like to take up at least two spaces, preferably four lol.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I do believe I will stop in at a dealer and take one for a ride. It's good to hear all the positives which pretty much solidifies my thoughts. I'll let you know If when I find what I'm looking for. Thanks again
Jason

Beak Boater
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
One other point that you should consider. If(and everyone says never will) the need arises that you want a bigger boat. You will have enough truck, and you wont be out shopping for a truck again.

Warlock28SXT
01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
One other point that you should consider. If(and everyone says never will) the need arises that you want a bigger boat. You will have enough truck, and you wont be out shopping for a truck again.

Good point. One more reason to go with a dually. Thanks

Slick02
01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Dodge has what they call a MegaCab SWB dually, maybe you should test drive one for a day or so, I personally liked the SWB as a daily driver, it had a decent turning radius and would fit into a parking place without hanging out into the middle of the lot unlike the longbed trucks and if your only going to tow on a partime basis, I see no reason for the eight foot bed(unless your planning on hauling alot of plywood etc). And I have had mine hung up in the drive through at the local bank right after I bought it, truck was to wide and I had both outside wheels up over the curb.

Warlock28SXT
01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Dodge has what they call a MegaCab SWB dually, maybe you should test drive one for a day or so, I personally liked the SWB as a daily driver, it had a decent turning radius and would fit into a parking place without hanging out into the middle of the lot unlike the longbed trucks and if your only going to tow on a partime basis, I see no reason for the eight foot bed(unless your planning on hauling alot of plywood etc). And I have had mine hung up in the drive through at the local bank right after I bought it, truck was to wide and I had both outside wheels up over the curb.

Is the MegaCab SWB just about as long as a LWB Crew Cab? The short box is 6'6" going to an 8' box being only 18" longer. The MegaCab is huge and I really don't have a need for that much cab space. The 8' box would be alright for snowmobiles my banshee and yes lumber at times. That is just what I was thinking. I have not had an issue with the short box with the above mentioned, but 18" more room back there couldnt hurt I guess. Thanks for a different angle to look at though. Good stuff here guys.

Chris
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I know that with me being the resident tow nazi, this will sound funny coming from me... If you're not planning on going up much from the 8500 lb load you're towing anytime in the near future, I'd forget the dually.

I tow weights in that range all the time with an Excursion. It's got F250 springs, airbags, good shocks, dual swaybars and a steering damper. I can tow like that load isn't even back there. And when I'm done, it rides better an average 1/2 ton pickup. I can load it full of stuff in the back or I can stick seven of my friends in it comfortably.

If you were shopping for Top Guns, the dually would be a great idea. For what you have, why put up with the hassle? I'll give you this- the duals will give you more stability in a panic maneuver and you won't get tugged around in 30MPH crosswinds, but how often is it that windy?

Warlock28SXT
01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I know that with me being the resident tow nazi, this will sound funny coming from me... If you're not planning on going up much from the 8500 lb load you're towing anytime in the near future, I'd forget the dually.

I tow weights in that range all the time with an Excursion. It's got F250 springs, airbags, good shocks, dual swaybars and a steering damper. I can tow like that load isn't even back there. And when I'm done, it rides better an average 1/2 ton pickup. I can load it full of stuff in the back or I can stick seven of my friends in it comfortably.

If you were shopping for Top Guns, the dually would be a great idea. For what you have, why put up with the hassle? I'll give you this- the duals will give you more stability in a panic maneuver and you won't get tugged around in 30MPH crosswinds, but how often is it that windy?

Another good point. I could beef up my current truck. I'd say about 90% of the time I'm just driving the truck. I'm in sales so I'm always driving somewhere. Towing the other 10% boat and snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are not an issue just something to tow. I had thought of moving to a 35 Fountain, but I like what I have so I plan on keeping it for a while. I boat mostly locally so I'm not towing far ~30miles with the occational ~60 mile trip. Oh what to do? I do appreciate the comments. I'm getting a better feel for the dually avenue. It might be too much truck for what I really need. Maybe I should consider going back to a 2500 w/5.9 cummis. Kind of a meeting in the middle. More capable than the current truck yet not the ride or size issues of the dually. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons and see what happens. Thanks Jason

Expensive Date
01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I drove an 07 Dodge dually and I thought it rode ok I would have bought it but we could not get together on price.I ended up buying a GMC 3500 dually
its no big deal driving around but I am in an 4300 International with a 26 ft box all day so a dually is a toy.It is overkill for the boat I have now but I want to go bigger and only want to do this once.You have to go drive on they are nice but I liked the GMC a little better and the deal was to good to pass

Slick02
01-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Ya can never have to much truck, cause ya never know when your gonna get the itch for a bigger boat.
And the Megacab swb is still shorter than the crewcab lwb,,,the only thing I had against the Megacab swb I looked at was that it had the most BUTT UGLY rear fenders in existence, they looked like someone designed and built a truck and then said,,,oh we forgot to put rear fenders on it,,what can we do,,,CHEAPLY. lol

catmando
01-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Another good point. I could beef up my current truck. I'd say about 90% of the time I'm just driving the truck. I'm in sales so I'm always driving somewhere. Towing the other 10% boat and snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are not an issue just something to tow. I had thought of moving to a 35 Fountain, but I like what I have so I plan on keeping it for a while. I boat mostly locally so I'm not towing far ~30miles with the occational ~60 mile trip. Oh what to do? I do appreciate the comments. I'm getting a better feel for the dually avenue. It might be too much truck for what I really need. Maybe I should consider going back to a 2500 w/5.9 cummis. Kind of a meeting in the middle. More capable than the current truck yet not the ride or size issues of the dually. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons and see what happens. Thanks JasonI suggest trading up to a Dodge 2500. You'll get 4-5mpg better towing your boat and 23-24mpg in your sales job. If you buy that Fountain it will still tow it fine.

Activeshack
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I've got a 07 Mega-cab 3500. The wheel base is the same on the Mega and the crew cab. They use the same frame one just has more cab and less bed than the other.

Magnum Mark
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
A powerboat owner should always own an extra dually just for pulling the boat. Buy a nice one and use it for just the boat, and it will be the last one you ever buy.

what he said.
living proof.My pal MM 1980 GMC dually.

Dan The Man
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
I use this truck all year. 05' Dodge and I can't complain about anything. It's been great towing, pushing and everyday driving.

nomomoney
01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I use this truck all year. 05' Dodge and I can't complain about anything. It's been great towing, pushing and everyday driving.
Whats all that white stuff??

ImaPoser
01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Whats all that white stuff??

With that plow hanging off the front, it's called mo money. :sifone:

Warlock28SXT
01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Ya can never have to much truck, cause ya never know when your gonna get the itch for a bigger boat.
And the Megacab swb is still shorter than the crewcab lwb,,,the only thing I had against the Megacab swb I looked at was that it had the most BUTT UGLY rear fenders in existence, they looked like someone designed and built a truck and then said,,,oh we forgot to put rear fenders on it,,what can we do,,,CHEAPLY. lol

I agree you can never have too much truck. That's why I bought the original 2500 I had. It got destroyed. I also agree with the short box flares on a dually. They look like they are off of a jeep, but I still like the trucks.

Warlock28SXT
01-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I drove an 07 Dodge dually and I thought it rode ok I would have bought it but we could not get together on price.I ended up buying a GMC 3500 dually
its no big deal driving around but I am in an 4300 International with a 26 ft box all day so a dually is a toy.It is overkill for the boat I have now but I want to go bigger and only want to do this once.You have to go drive on they are nice but I liked the GMC a little better and the deal was to good to pass

Thanks for the input and by the way congrats on the new truck.

Warlock28SXT
01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I've got a 07 Mega-cab 3500. The wheel base is the same on the Mega and the crew cab. They use the same frame one just has more cab and less bed than the other.

Thanks that's what I thought but never really looked into it.

Warlock28SXT
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I suggest trading up to a Dodge 2500. You'll get 4-5mpg better towing your boat and 23-24mpg in your sales job. If you buy that Fountain it will still tow it fine.

A 2500 is still on the table as that was my last truck. I have always liked the way duallys look and figured I'd toss the idea around and get some thoughts from those of you that have/drive them. If my 2500 pulled the boat as good as it did then the 3500 DRW has to be better. I'm just not sure about daily. With all the feedback I have gotten it is very helpful. I'm trying to find the time to go out and drive one and see.
Jason

Slick02
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
A 2500 is still on the table as that was my last truck. I have always liked the way duallys look. With all the feedback I have gotten it is very helpful. I'm trying to find the time to go out and drive one and see.
Jason

See if you can find a dealer, that will let you keep it overnight and actually live with it to see if you'll actually want one. When I test drove a LWB Ford I swore I wouldn't own a dually,,after driving the SWB truck for a day or so, I was sold.

catmando
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
A 2500 is still on the table as that was my last truck. I have always liked the way duallys look and figured I'd toss the idea around and get some thoughts from those of you that have/drive them. If my 2500 pulled the boat as good as it did then the 3500 DRW has to be better. I'm just not sure about daily. With all the feedback I have gotten it is very helpful. I'm trying to find the time to go out and drive one and see.
JasonAll you really have to do with a dually is watch the outside wheels. It will become second nature to you quickly as you drive it. It must be said though that than 2500 is much lighter than the dually so your fuel mileage will be better. I use Opti-Lube in my truck and get 20-21mpg@2000rpm so that's pretty decent for a heavy(7400lbs) truck with a non-chipped motor.

I agree with Slick, try to get a demo for a couple days and hook your boat up. One other problem with a dually is you can't see your trailer tires so that may or may not be a deal-breaker for you. I hauled cars last year and couldn't see the trailer tires so I made sure I stopped often to check the straps and tires.

Nykamp
01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Duallys are awsome tow trucks, mines for sale here and on OSO.

Warlock28SXT
01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
All you really have to do with a dually is watch the outside wheels. It will become second nature to you quickly as you drive it. It must be said though that than 2500 is much lighter than the dually so your fuel mileage will be better. I use Opti-Lube in my truck and get 20-21mpg@2000rpm so that's pretty decent for a heavy(7400lbs) truck with a non-chipped motor.

I agree with Slick, try to get a demo for a couple days and hook your boat up. One other problem with a dually is you can't see your trailer tires so that may or may not be a deal-breaker for you. I hauled cars last year and couldn't see the trailer tires so I made sure I stopped often to check the straps and tires.

That's the kind of MPG I was seeing with my 2500. I never considered not being able to see the trailer tires. Can't even see them with the little fish eye mirror?

Nykamp: Thanks for the offer but I'm still undecided. I'll keep you in mind when I figure this out. I probably will make a decision closer to spring time.

ZBODaytona
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
That's the kind of MPG I was seeing with my 2500. I never considered not being able to see the trailer tires. Can't even see them with the little fish eye mirror?

Nykamp: Thanks for the offer but I'm still undecided. I'll keep you in mind when I figure this out. I probably will make a decision closer to spring time.

Uhh my ford you can see the trailer tires just fine on anything longer than a 10' trailer. But the fords do have the best mirrors around. Though on my buddies dodge drw his mirros flip up and are decent and you can see the tires even on his little 15' fourwheeler trailer. Not as good as the fords..but still good.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I've had a couple duallys and drove a few others with race teams. They are great on the hi ways when towing 10k and more. You easily get used to the width. I like the ride.

Around town as an only vehicle. I would choose not. Just too big. Very limited where you can park. In a city it can be a night mare to find parking. IMO

Warlock28SXT
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I've had a couple duallys and drove a few others with race teams. They are great on the hi ways when towing 10k and more. You easily get used to the width. I like the ride.

Around town as an only vehicle. I would choose not. Just too big. Very limited where you can park. In a city it can be a night mare to find parking. IMO

Everybody seems to agree that they ride nice on the hiway. It's about a 50/50 mix for me city/hiway driving. I have been paying more attention to them, all of them. Seeing where they are parked, driven and overall how they fit into the city scene. I also been considering if I were in a dually in some of the driving situations I am currently in. I have never put this much thought into a vehicle purchase before. When it was time to buy I looked I saw I liked I bought. This is good though I kind of jumped into the current truck as I did not have a vehicle after the wreck and now I'm here. Anyway Thanks for your thoughts.

catmando
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Nykamp: Thanks for the offer but I'm still undecided. I'll keep you in mind when I figure this out. I probably will make a decision closer to spring time.Dodge mirrors are not extendable like Ford's are. You can turn them vertical but you still can't see the trailer wheels even with the big fisheyes. I think Dodge has the biggest fisheyes and they are really great.

nomomoney
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I can see my trailer wheels just fine in my 450.I don't even have to extend the mirrors out.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
If you are around toll roads. The tolls may be more than double. Varies from state to state.

MarylandMark
01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I toss around the same idea. I figured a SRW would be cheaper in the long run with better MPG, 2 less tires to worry about, is my daily driver, etc.

Got a longbed so I'd think a DRW may be easier to daily drive but love the truck none the less.

Chris
01-22-2009, 10:06 AM
If you are around toll roads. The tolls may be more than double. Varies from state to state.

That always pissed me off. It should be by weigh, not # of tires.

Expensive Date
01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Yup,My dually is the same toll rate as my International that is 3 times The GVW

Warlock28SXT
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
The only tolls I go thru are in Ill.. I'll never for get the day I bought it(in Ill). Drove down $1 toll (two axels) and on the way home $8.50 (five axels). No toll roads here.

baywatch
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
This might be slightly off topic. But, What is the difference between a 2500 and a 3500SRW? Is just extra springs are there bigger brakes and stuff as well?

I am actually now considering going the 3/4ton route and just adding airbags in the back.

Pachanga
01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
This might be slightly off topic. But, What is the difference between a 2500 and a 3500SRW? Is just extra springs are there bigger brakes and stuff as well?

I am actually now considering going the 3/4ton route and just adding airbags in the back.

At the least a 3500 is going to have a stonger rear axle, and possibly transmission. Suspension is defiantely stronger as well as the brakes.

ZBODaytona
01-23-2009, 11:26 AM

As pachanga said..but the trannies are the same...usually a bigger front axle, well on the 4x4's....Sometimes the frames are bigger, but i think with the modern ones they are the same..just the springs and axles are different.

Quinlan
01-23-2009, 11:32 AM

I moved from a 2500 to a 3500 SRW Chevy and the only diff I can tell is 1 more leaf in the springs. Added Air bags and it tows the 38 quite well.
Not sure about Trany and rear should be the same. OH and the DURAMAX helps out TOO!! over the 8100

I put well over 100k miles on the 2500 w the factory brakes.

Birdog
01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
On SRW trucks it is only springs...Duallys have bigger brakes and Diffs.

NOMOGOFAST
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I have an 04 Dodge 3500 SRW w/ 55k on it. I went through the same dilemma. I ended up with the SRW for my daily driver. The only difference between the dually and the SRW when I bought mine was the rear axle ratio. Same size brakes, tranny etc. I get 15-6 mpg city and about 20 hwy. Towing 10k I get 10-14 mpg hwy depending on the terrain. I have had not one complaint about my 04 3500 SRW. Changed all the fluids to synthetic and put front brakes on once and tires. I went with 20" tires w/ 35's with just the leveler kit. Towed 388 Slingshot and now 36' Concept....no problem anywhere. My wife drives my truck once in a while and would never put her in a dually. She already scuffed both mirrors just going in my garage.:ack2:

jmoore32fever
01-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Warlock if you don't need to be in the truck everyday just get you a dually & buy yourself a Lil Honda civic or a car of that nature that's what I did, eventually pays for it's self, thing I've also noticed the fords take a 40 acre field to turn around n my doodge does it n prolly half of what my buddies ford does

catmando
03-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Warlock if you don't need to be in the truck everyday just get you a dually & buy yourself a Lil Honda civic or a car of that nature that's what I did, eventually pays for it's self, thing I've also noticed the fords take a 40 acre field to turn around n my doodge does it n prolly half of what my buddies ford doesdoodge :D I agree with the small car you used to be able to buy one pretty cheap but with the Big 3 on the ropes used car prices are skyrocketing.

Warlock how goes the battle? Have you bought something yet? Like I said mine is for sale with less than 60k miles. I drive it every day and love the power of the 325/610 motor. I let my sister drive it(she drives a 15 year old Cherokee 5 speed manual) and she was blown away by the power and ease of driving around Raleigh. We got on the Loop and she took it up to 2500rpm in 5th gear. The look on her face and her smile was priceless! :)

catmando
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
With that plow hanging off the front, it's called mo money. :sifone:Haha snappy comeback! :biggrinjester:

Warlock28SXT
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
doodge :D I agree with the small car you used to be able to buy one pretty cheap but with the Big 3 on the ropes used car prices are skyrocketing.

Warlock how goes the battle? Have you bought something yet? Like I said mine is for sale with less than 60k miles. I drive it every day and love the power of the 325/610 motor. I let my sister drive it(she drives a 15 year old Cherokee 5 speed manual) and she was blown away by the power and ease of driving around Raleigh. We got on the Loop and she took it up to 2500rpm in 5th gear. The look on her face and her smile was priceless! :)

Catmando I'm still looking. It would be nice if you could order the used truck you want.:) I thought I was going to have an answer for you guys this week. I found a truck, I saw it in the internet monday, I called tuesday moring to find out it sold monday night. Oh well. I'll keep looking. I decided I'm going to go back to what I had, a 2500, possibly a 3500 SRW. The 2500 is more than enogh truck for what I need. I thought about the dually/car approach and would probably end up driving the truck all the time anyway. The search continues...I will let you guys know when I find something.

catmando
03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
If you can find a quad cab 3500 SRW take the overload springs off and put Firestone air bags on it. Perfect truck. :)

catastrophe
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
My new 08 F350 Diesel was stolen 2 days ago. Ford doesnt make shortbox duallys anymore so I have to go Dodge to get the 6.5 ft box 4 door.

Can anyone help with comparison of the 2 vehicles? I've never owned a Dodge.

baywatch
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Catmando I'm still looking. It would be nice if you could order the used truck you want.:) I thought I was going to have an answer for you guys this week. I found a truck, I saw it in the internet monday, I called tuesday moring to find out it sold monday night. Oh well. I'll keep looking. I decided I'm going to go back to what I had, a 2500, possibly a 3500 SRW. The 2500 is more than enogh truck for what I need. I thought about the dually/car approach and would probably end up driving the truck all the time anyway. The search continues...I will let you guys know when I find something.

I had two different trucks that were sold before I could get there to look at them. One of them I talked to the sales guy at 9:00 AM and when I showed up at 10:30 the guy that walked in before me and bought the truck was still there filling out the paperwork.

The one thing I determined was that a low mile 05-06 was selling for nearly the same price as a barely used 08. I ended up getting an 08 Laramie with
5k miles on it for $3k more than an 06 SLT with 27kmiles on it. Needless to say the sunroof, electric running boards, heated leather, navigation, Infinity sound, etc. etc. made it an easy decision to take the leep to the 6.7litre Diesel.

Best of luck with your search. I am glad I am done shopping :03:

smittyseng
03-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I guess the biggest thing is that have never been in one. I loved my 2500 a bit stiff but fine in my book. I am mainly the only one in it. With the exception of going to the lake or up north with the sleds. I really need to drive/ride in one to see for myself. I can give up a bit of ride quality for ability.

Something to keep in mind as I see you mentioning going up north with the sleds,duallys are about the worse thing to drive on snowy highways especially towing. I tow sleds about just as much as I tow my boat and one dually was enough,it was unnerving when the rear tires would climb up on the snow rut edges and throw you around,you had to keep it in 4wd and keep the speed down plus put super aggressive tires on it. I know a few guys who are dyed in the wool dually guys who claim they ride as good on snow covered roads but they don't travel north in the bad stuff either.I been more than happy with a srw hd truck,Smitty

Warlock28SXT
03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I had two different trucks that were sold before I could get there to look at them. One of them I talked to the sales guy at 9:00 AM and when I showed up at 10:30 the guy that walked in before me and bought the truck was still there filling out the paperwork.

The one thing I determined was that a low mile 05-06 was selling for nearly the same price as a barely used 08. I ended up getting an 08 Laramie with
5k miles on it for $3k more than an 06 SLT with 27kmiles on it. Needless to say the sunroof, electric running boards, heated leather, navigation, Infinity sound, etc. etc. made it an easy decision to take the leep to the 6.7litre Diesel.

Best of luck with your search. I am glad I am done shopping :03:

Well that sucks. I guess I've got at least one more to slip between my fingers to look forwaed to:sifone: I really havent looked at the price diff between the two but I do belive I will. Glad to hear you found/bought something you like. Thanks Jason

Warlock28SXT
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Something to keep in mind as I see you mentioning going up north with the sleds,duallys are about the worse thing to drive on snowy highways especially towing. I tow sleds about just as much as I tow my boat and one dually was enough,it was unnerving when the rear tires would climb up on the snow rut edges and throw you around,you had to keep it in 4wd and keep the speed down plus put super aggressive tires on it. I know a few guys who are dyed in the wool dually guys who claim they ride as good on snow covered roads but they don't travel north in the bad stuff either.I been more than happy with a srw hd truck,Smitty

Smitty I never even considered the snow rutted roads being an issue. I have narrowed it down to a SWR truck just not having any luck as of yet finding one, well finding yes looking at no. Thanks for the input Jason

Warlock28SXT
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
If you can find a quad cab 3500 SRW take the overload springs off and put Firestone air bags on it. Perfect truck. :)

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks catmando

Sydwayz
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
You can always take the outer two dually wheels off if the deep snow ruts are a problem.

One of the biggest issues with the 3/4 and 1-ton SRW offerings is the poor wheels/tires that they ship with when new. Ford has a bit of an edge with optional big tire packages. Dodge is a little better as they have 17" offerings, but GM is terrible--245/16 E rated tires on 6.5" wide steel wheels! The GM factory SRW "HD" setup is terrible for towing stability! It's like towing with 4 pizza cutters.

You can drastically, and I mean DRASTICALLY improve the towing stability of a SRW anything by moving to an E-rated 16, 17, 18" diameter/8, 9, 10" wide wheel; and an E-rated 265/285 width tire. You are NOT going to increase towing CAPACITY, buy you will increase towing STABILITY.

If you do the aforementioned, and add separate air chamber Air-Bags to a SRW truck, it is my humble opinion that you have drastically improved the towing stability of said truck; but it's still not as good as a dually.

smittyseng
03-22-2009, 01:03 AM
You can always take the outer two dually wheels off if the deep snow ruts are a problem.

One of the biggest issues with the 3/4 and 1-ton SRW offerings is the poor wheels/tires that they ship with when new. Ford has a bit of an edge with optional big tire packages. Dodge is a little better as they have 17" offerings, but GM is terrible--245/16 E rated tires on 6.5" wide steel wheels! The GM factory SRW "HD" setup is terrible for towing stability! It's like towing with 4 pizza cutters.

You can drastically, and I mean DRASTICALLY improve the towing stability of a SRW anything by moving to an E-rated 16, 17, 18" diameter/8, 9, 10" wide wheel; and an E-rated 265/285 width tire. You are NOT going to increase towing CAPACITY, buy you will increase towing STABILITY.

If you do the aforementioned, and add separate air chamber Air-Bags to a SRW truck, it is my humble opinion that you have drastically improved the towing stability of said truck; but it's still not as good as a dually.

gm is finally getting away from the small tire combos though,my 08 2500 hd came factory w 265/70/r17's,the new gm 3500 srw comes with lt265/75/r16's,Smitty

catmando
03-22-2009, 02:46 AM

If you do the aforementioned, and add separate air chamber Air-Bags to a SRW truck, it is my humble opinion that you have drastically improved the towing stability of said truck; but it's still not as good as a dually.My Dodge came with 17x8 wheels and General tires. The Generals made lots of noise and were toast at 40,000, at which point I changed to Michelin LTX M&S rated at 75,000 miles and VERY quiet, great handling tires. If I could find steady work hauling cars again I would switch to 19.5 rims and 150,000 mile Hankook tires.

BTW Brian thank you for mentioning my boat on OSO. The handling between 50-90mph was simply phenomenal. Nothing I ever did made any difference in its stability in turns. It was like driving an F1 car. You had to drive it to understand.

Warlock28SXT
04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Well it's been a long time but it is what is. Being out of work for over two years puts a damper on a new truck,anyway, I bought an 06 Ram Mega cab 2500 with the 5.9 cummins. Thanks to everyone for their input. Pics to follow.

Jason

fund razor
05-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Congrats on the new truck.

sonic
05-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice truck.I have a 06 dually quad cab with the 5.9 on 35 12.50s with a 4 inch lift.I have a few mods done to mine and now she has no problem smokin all 4 rear tires.

Warlock28SXT
05-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Congrats on the new truck.

Nice truck.I have a 06 dually quad cab with the 5.9 on 35 12.50s with a 4 inch lift.I have a few mods done to mine and now she has no problem smokin all 4 rear tires.

Thanks fund

Nice sonic. I installed my Edge and intake over the weekend. I ordered rims and tires before I picked it up. Went with 33X12.50's and 2" lift. I did not wanna take too much of the gear away from the truck. The 2" lift just to give a bit of altitude. I'll post pics when the lift and rims are on and done.

sonic
05-02-2010, 11:44 PM
cant wait to see.I will post some pics of mine.When you get a chance check out cumminsfourm.com is a great site lots of info.Pete

Warlock28SXT
05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
cant wait to see.I will post some pics of mine.When you get a chance check out cumminsfourm.com is a great site lots of info.Pete

Well here it is.

Magic Medicine
06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Jay,

New truck looks great!!!!!

Warlock28SXT
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Jay,

New truck looks great!!!!!

Thanks Andy, I love it.

Next will be the sport bumpers and grill, too much chrome for me.

offshoreexcursion
06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Awesome Truck. You made the right choice. Good plan on the lift and tires. I would aslo rec some firestone ride rite air bags in the rear. If you need any advice pm me any time I have modified lots of these. I have had 3 Dodge cummins and love them. My current 03 running strong with 355000 98% towing miles. I have a 08 black grill with billit inserts for sale if you are interested. Thanks, enjoy.

Warlock28SXT
06-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Awesome Truck. You made the right choice. Good plan on the lift and tires. I would aslo rec some firestone ride rite air bags in the rear. If you need any advice pm me any time I have modified lots of these. I have had 3 Dodge cummins and love them. My current 03 running strong with 355000 98% towing miles. I have a 08 black grill with billit inserts for sale if you are interested. Thanks, enjoy.

Thank you. I'm very happy with it. Don't really think I need bags. The truck sits nice and level with the boat on it and tows great. The pic is in a parking lot and the truck is on a hill so it looks a bit low in the ass. If you want, PM me with what you want for the grill. Thanks again for the complements on the truck.