PDA

View Full Version : bilge painting

cig28
01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
guys would interlux brightside or pettit easypoxy be good to use in the bilge. i want something easy to use and a good shine, also they have the color i need which is a light blue .the bilge is light blue in a 20 cigarette.

Buoy
01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
A lot of guys here have recommended a rustoleum product, but I don't recall the details.
I used Interlux BilgeKote, and I'm not certain how happy I am with it.
I may re-do it before I put the motor back in.
I'm sure the guys with the details will chime in shortly.
Put up some pics of the 20!

fund razor
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I am interested in bilge paint too. I used bilgekote before (diff boat) and didn't love it either.

bootdaddy
01-08-2009, 08:38 PM
hear good things about awlgrip in bilge

DollaBill
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Hottest painted bilge is ASG's 39 TSG. The inside is a "mirror" of the outside graphics. OFF DA HOOK. I'll get him to post a pic

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-09-2009, 02:18 AM
I have used imron with a brush many times.

If prepped right it holds up well and resists any mess.

phragle
01-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Hottest painted bilge is ASG's 39 TSG. The inside is a "mirror" of the outside graphics. OFF DA HOOK. I'll get him to post a pic

My vote goes for the bilge in the looney tunes mti...

Offshore Ginger
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I always use Imron for painting the bilge and mostly 555-U white that Skater uses , very durable , great shine ,and cleans up very nice with no stains especially petrolum products , i would also recommend Awlgrip which is very nice when used in the bilge area . :)

Lakeside
01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
We usually use bilge coat in the basic cookie cutter stuff. But we have also used Easypoxy pettit with good success and some other products too with good success. There obviously is more than one good product to use in the bilge. It depends on what look you want & how far you want to go. :) Jamie

Chris
01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Imron is full of isocyanates and it's VERY bad for you. I wouldn't paint in a bilge without a hood.

Rustoleum Industrial 9100 with the immersion activator is very good. The white will get faint staining but the colors typically do not. It's thick enough to roll on easily without running or doing multiple coats and it's both inexpensive and readily available.

cig28
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
here you go 1975 small block

HiZ
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
What about prep for the surface to get the oil and debris, chemicals out for the new stuff to stick.
Thanks
Currently, grey - looking to go with a White

Any tips, thoughts on colors, etc
Thanks

DKerns
01-30-2009, 01:38 AM
HiZ, I am sure the pro's could give you some better info, but......

When I did my boat, I had removed carpet and the adhesive it left behind. The transom and "bilge" area under the motor were painted grey. I used greased lightning and srubbed down the entire area. After doing that, I used Acetone to remove all of the adhesive. I then lightly sanded the entire area and wiped it down with Brushing Liquid, primed with Interlux Pre-Cote, lightly sanded again, wiped it down with Brushing Liquid, then painted with Bligekote. (2 coats)

HiZ
01-30-2009, 03:39 AM
DK -

That LOOKS Exactly like what I want to do
Your Bilge is similar to what my color is now that Battleship Grey - YEAH
Anyway, looks great and a nice sheen to the finish

This Bilgecote you speak of.....and the color, how has it been with stains, chemicals, etc

I will have to check the local marine supplier

DKerns
01-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I personally have not had any issues with staining. I try to keep everything neat and clean though. I don't let anything lay in the bilge that might stain it!

I purchased all of my stuff from Jamestown Distributors

www.jamestowndistributors.com

FCMarine
02-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I have no personal experience with this product but I hear people talk about it all the time. Awlgrip is the name of it and most seem to like the ease of applying and the finish it gives.

Tony
03-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I used Rustoleum DTM with the Imersion activator, its tough, real tough. Its not the most pristine finish, but most old Cigs have too much texture in the bilge to matter. Just for chits and giggles, I threw the stirring stick into my parts cleaning tank, and 3 days later pulled it out with no Ill effects to the paint on the stick.

03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I used awlgrip with rollers. 3 coats with sanding in between. Even the high $ non-lint rollers left some lint. Second picture is before 3rd coat.

They also have non-slip texture you can add as well as gloss reducers.

Dries slow. Gnarly stuff but maybe not as bad as Imron. Use ventilated mask IMHO. They aren't that much $.

Buoy
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I used awlgrip with rollers. 3 coats with sanding in between. Even the high $ non-lint rollers left some lint.

They also have non-slip texture you can add as well as gloss reducers.

Dries slow. Gnarly stuff but maybe not as bad as Imron. Use ventilated mask IMHO. They aren't that much $.

That looks great!

Offshore Ginger
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I know this might sound bad but ..................... i have found that the product that can harm you the most ,work's the best or the more poison the better . :rofl::rofl: 2112 I have used both Imron & Awlgrip and never sand inbetween coats and usally paint a bilge with a brush . 2112 My step's are as follow's -never use reducer just activator & excelerator -paint -let tack -paint -let tack-paint - untill fully covered & let dry. I have to say that most of the time it will be covered in three coat's and not to mention how nice your bilge l@@ks , hey :)

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Yep, The thick paint lays out and the brush strokes disappear.

03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I know this might sound bad but ..................... i have found that the product that can harm you the most ,work's the best or the more poison the better . :rofl::rofl: 2112 I have used both Imron & Awlgrip and never sand inbetween coats and usally paint a bilge with a brush . 2112 My step's are as follow's -never use reducer just activator & excelerator -paint -let tack -paint -let tack-paint - untill fully covered & let dry. I have to say that most of the time it will be covered in three coat's and not to mention how nice your bilge l@@ks , hey :)

Well, I was sanding to get rid of the lint and tits left by the roller.

I will remember this for the next bilge paint job I do. :sifone: And Thanks. :)

PS; I do everything the hard way.:blush5:

DKerns
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
2112, not to get off topic, but.........Nice FORD power!! What CI and what HP? My cousin has a 41 Thoroughbred with 600 CI SVO FORD motors in it...... Don't see that everyday!!

03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
2112, not to get off topic, but.........Nice FORD power!! What CI and what HP? My cousin has a 41 Thoroughbred with 600 CI SVO FORD motors in it...... Don't see that everyday!!

That boat (41 Velocity) made the pages of Superford magazine back around 1989/90. ....If it is the same boat, I would think so. I thought Steve Step was a Ford guy but now I just think he was a little anti-merc power.

I have 605 inches, 8.9 to 1 compression and 1250 Dominators. Pushes the gladiator past 113mph (@6000rpm) although I am playing with Props now. :sifone: Peak power is at 6500.

DKerns
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
That boat (41 Velocity) made the pages of Superford magazine back around 1989/90. ....If it is the same boat, I would think so. I thought Steve Step was a Ford guy but now I just think he was a little anti-merc power.

I have 605 inches, 8.9 to 1 compression and 1250 Dominators. Pushes the gladiator past 113mph (@6000rpm) although I am playing with Props now. :sifone: Peak power is at 6500.

It was in a couple of Mags. I Know it was featured in Powerboat, don't know what others. It would have been in the early 90's. It is actually a Thoroughbred "41 Bold Ruler", Excess Energy.

While we are on the Bilge Paint thread, it's bilge was painted with Bilgecoat........

03-12-2009, 09:07 PM
That is the boat I was thinking of.

What is the difference between a Velocity and Thorougbred? I thought it like calling a Cadillac a GM ??

I think those engines were originally built by a guy named Barry something out of Wisconsin, Right? He built some for Ross Perot too.

old377guy
03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Well, I was sanding to get rid of the lint and tits left by the roller.

I will remember this for the next bilge paint job I do. :sifone: And Thanks. :)

PS; I do everything the hard way.:blush5:

but DAMN it looks good; that engine compartment may be the best I've ever seen - it's exactly my taste. at some point there may be an old 377 running around the west coast with a copycat engine room - jeff

DKerns
03-12-2009, 09:40 PM
2112, The Thoroughbred name was the name that Steve built boat's under until he got the Velocity name back from Regal.

And yes, I am pretty sure the motors are from Michigan. They have been "freshened" up since then!!!!:sifone:

03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
but DAMN it looks good; that engine compartment may be the best I've ever seen - it's exactly my taste. at some point there may be an old 377 running around the west coast with a copycat engine room - jeff

Thanks! I need to be educated though on what is an old 377.

old377guy
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks! I need to be educated though on what is an old 377.

377 Scarab. Again, congratulations on the the platinum scheme. - Jeff

03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
377 Scarab.. - Jeff

Ha, I was thinking a Talon!!

Is it the same as the infamous 38' Scarab? You probably deduced I am a friend of Drew Backlund's (Drew Marine in Spokane). He had a great 38KV with engines like mine. :26:

old377guy
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Ha, I was thinking a Talon!!

Is it the same as the infamous 38' Scarab? You probably deduced I am a friend of Drew Backlund's (Drew Marine in Spokane). He had a great 38KV with engines like mine. :26:

I don't know Drew and didn't realize that there were other 38's up in the Puget Sound area. I went to Seafair for a number of years but missed last year. Sounds like I'll see you sooner or later around the area. Happy boating - Jeff

03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Here is Drew's Scarab. He sold it to a friend who comes over from Spokane occasionally and visits me here on Fox Island.

There is a rumor it might be up for sale again soon. :26:

old377guy
03-13-2009, 10:11 PM
that a sharp Scarab - thanks for posting the pix - jeff

fund razor
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I think that I am about to use Petit Easypoxy.

No way I am springing for imron.

Tony
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
The easiest method would be to put the can in the center of the bilge with the lid off, drop in 2 long fused M-80s or equivilant, close the hatch and ignite the charge. Saves several hours of valuable labor.