PDA

View Full Version : Surge Conversion EOH

HPBoats83
10-21-2008, 03:12 AM
I currently have a tri-axle trailer with 4 SS surge breaks. I just bought a 2500 which has the built in module for electric brakes, so I would like to convert the trailer to electric over hydraulic. Any idea what this costs, I have already gotten a quote of $1,500 and thought it was kinda high, is it?
James

Chris
10-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I believe the built-in module is for electric brakes- that's full-electric- solenoids grab the drum face and actuate the lever arms which engage the shoes to the drum. Common on camper trailers. You will probably want a proper inertia-style controller.

Good source for all the components- http://www.trailerpart.com/brakerite.htm

Actually, they make this- http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-3859-ford-chevy-brakerite-sd-adapter.aspx

Tony
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Why not just go full electric? I think you will find the parts are suprisingly cheap.

Chris
10-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Straight electric doesn't like to be dunked- especially in salt water. Plus, Rob's trailer already has discs on it.

HPBoats83
10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Straight electric doesn't like to be dunked- especially in salt water. Plus, Rob's trailer already has discs on it.

Whose Rob?

Chris
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Sorry - carrying on two conversations about the same topic with two different people at the same time.

Quinlan
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I am looking at new trailers would you guys recomend elec over hyd or full elec ? Should not see to much salt as mostly freash water boating.
Quinlan

Chris
11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
You can't get electric discs and discs are the only way to go. Get them on all axles- required by law in many states now. EOH is the only way to go- unless you have air. The power and controllability is unmatched. Worth every penny.

Audiofn
11-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I would want to know what size trailer and what are you towing it with to know if you should have electric over hydrolic or just the mechanical actuator. Smaller boats (30 and under) can ussually do the mechanical with very good results. Once you start to get up over 30 (of course the weight is the bigest factor) then EOH is very nice to have.

Chris
11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Depending on where you live, some people may not be aware or recognize this...

Surge brakes need tow rig braking to actuate them. I've been in larger trucks that overheated brakes on long downhills and it's a scary, desperate feeling. One minute they're there, the next you have nothing- or next to nothing. No truck brakes, no "surge". EOH gives you that margin of safety- even in the event of a popped line or other failure as well.

scottc
11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I have done a few EOH converisions and that's about the right price. In Maryland, all trailers 10001lbs and over require brakes on all axles. Disc are IMO the best over drum and EOH is the best over surge. Full electric brakes will work for at the most i season or untill the rust factor sets in. And you can only get full electric in drum brakes only. If you are doing lots of towing go EOH with the disc. One other nice thing about EOH is when backing down a ramp and the boat starts to pull the rig down you can hit the controller in the rig and stop the trailer with ease.
Brake Rite has a very nice system all the way to a remote control system.

Quinlan
11-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Will be ordering a new trailer for a TG VERY VERY Soon!!! I know MYCO is the best, What do you guys think about Mannings?
Sorry about hijack maybe I should start another thread.
Quinlan

US1Fountain
11-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I have EOH and LOVE it! Once you tow with EOH, you'll never have anything else.

Install the Maxbrake controller. It doesn't use inertial like the other controllers do. It operates off brake line pressure. The harder you push, the more trailer braking you have. When backing down a ramp, you don't need to manually activate it to engage your trailer brakes. Just push on your brake pedal. Makes the much raved about P3 controllers seem......old tech. Nuff said. :)

Chart
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
When working, the EOH Disc is the best. But keep in mind you are trading a time-tested reliable braking system (surge) for something dependent upon electronics, wiring, and a good connection between the truck and trailer plug. You've just added a lot of places for the system to fail, and probably with an EOH, when it fails it will stop working completely.

We're all motivated by our own scary experience, and mine was an electric braking system that failed, and took fuses with it, on the Interstate. EOH is a nice system, and one of my trailers has it. The other has surge. In the mountains I prefer the EOH, because the gearing down of the TV does not cause the surge to lightly drag the trailer brakes, and cause trailer brake fade. (If you ride the TV brakes going down hills, causing them to fade and therefore lose surge brakes, well, that's operator error).

I'm not claiming one brake system is better than the other, just trying to point out that surge does have some advantages others often overlook. No matter what though, Disc is the way to go!