PDA

View Full Version : Push button start

BY U BOY
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Who has it? how did you do it and have you had any problems with it? I have been thinking about this for some time but haven't found anything cool.

Tommy Gun
10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
The Cig has it...works great.

BY U BOY
10-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Did you put it in? Does it have a toggle for Ignition? How do you turn it off?

Tommy Gun
10-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Standard on the 39. Turn the key on, push the button to start, turn key to shut off. Remove key or key off deactivates push button.

Red start button is to the right of each key.

clayinaustin
10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Standard on the 39. Turn the key on, push the button to start, turn key to shut off. Remove key or key off deactivates push button.

Ditto on my 1990 Bullet.

HPBoats83
10-21-2008, 03:15 AM
I believe Laveycraft does it on all of their boats. The one I used had a toggle for the ignition, then a button for the starter. I am going to convert my Fountain this winter amongst many other things.

glassdave
10-21-2008, 06:55 AM
we have them in all the Batboats. I always thought they were cool. I did the one in the twenty eight with a Standard key switch and a push button fopr the starter.

Tom A.
10-21-2008, 07:22 AM
I have dual toggles for each motor in the competition. Flip the ignition switch to on and the second push to start. Turn off by switching the ignition off.

DonziGirl
10-21-2008, 07:47 AM
I know Tony is planning on putting them in his Cig when he finishes the dash

Tony
10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Im doing toggles for ignition switches and momentary toggles for starters with those cool flip up safety covers.

cigdaze
10-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Ditto. Turn the key to "run," then push a momentary rocker switch to start.
Love it.

ChiefApache
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
We have the toggles. Love 'em!

Geronimo36
10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I have a toggle switch to turn on the ignition and a momentary toggle to start it. To turn off you pull up on the toggle to release the lock and flip it off.

I've had keys and toggles and I think I like toggles better! Don't need no darn keys no more!

Wrinkleface
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
My NT has it, it was an option but I like it!

NORTECHJ
10-21-2008, 10:17 AM
the NT has Toggles on then push the red button to start... works great... would never go back to keys

44MTI
10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I have a single key for security and easier to keep up with than two keys. Then a Toggle and puch to start for each motor. Love it.

HPBoats83
10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Are you guys doing anything to lock people out, like a perko with a key in it, or can anybody at any time just come and flip the switch and push the button?

The other thing that I have seen (kinda expensive) is Livorsi has a "Gauge" that has a keypad that you enter a code in to start the boat. I believe it's like 3" round. I was talking to the guy from Livorsi about them and he said it was like $350 for one of them, one for each engine. I like it though because it's a little more "vandal resistant" then just a standard toggle and button.

Tony
10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Are you guys doing anything to lock people out, like a perko with a key in it, or can anybody at any time just come and flip the switch and push the button?

The other thing that I have seen (kinda expensive) is Livorsi has a "Gauge" that has a keypad that you enter a code in to start the boat. I believe it's like 3" round. I was talking to the guy from Livorsi about them and he said it was like $350 for one of them, one for each engine. I like it though because it's a little more "vandal resistant" then just a standard toggle and button.

Im labeling the bilge pump switches "PORT IGN" AND "STBD IGN" ;)

Sea-Dated
10-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Keys for ignition and switches for the starters on the 1991 Cig. Turn the key off to shut off engine.

Audiofn
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
If you need me to I can draw up a diagram for you.

BY U BOY
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
If you need me to I can draw up a diagram for you.

That would be good.I'm sure I could figure it out. I think I am going to go with the toggle.Now I just need to find a nice starter button.

BY U BOY
10-21-2008, 08:07 PM

In3 years I have never taken the key out of the ignition.I guess I am a trusting person.

Bad Idea Baja
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
What car mfg has the "go" buttons? That is what I want!!

BY U BOY
10-21-2008, 09:04 PM

If you find them let me know. Have you talked to Walter?

Bad Idea Baja
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
If you find them let me know. Have you talked to Walter?
Last I talked to him he was going to Dubai. I sent him an email the other day & havn't heard back yet.
My motors are coming out soon so he better get his ass in gear!:drool5:

DonziGirl
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
In3 years I have never taken the key out of the ignition.I guess I am a trusting person.

I always was until I came back from the bar one night to find my boat docked backwards (stern to bow) and I didn't leave it that way. I found out some drunk guy had needed to get his boat out so he got in mine and drove it around through the rocks while his buddy moved his boat. It took me a LONG time to find the keys. I thought he stole them at first. Luckily there was no damage to my boat. Long story short, I only leave the keys in the boat at certain places now

Audiofn
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
You should get the huge buttons from Staples that say "that was easy" :D

Audiofn
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
These are some cool buttons that I had seen in the past.

http://www.bbtcustoms.com/enstpubu.html

If you need a better drawing let me know.

Jon

BY U BOY
10-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Last I talked to him he was going to Dubai. I sent him an email the other day & havn't heard back yet.
My motors are coming out soon so he better get his ass in gear!:drool5:

I think he is scheduled to come back in December and has very limited internet.He called me the otherday I'll se if i can find the number he called me from.

bootdaddy
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM

I guess you don't boat near Canada :biggrinjester:

BY U BOY
10-21-2008, 10:31 PM
These are some cool buttons that I had seen in the past.

http://www.bbtcustoms.com/enstpubu.html

If you need a better drawing let me know.

Jon

Thanks I can figure oit out from that.:biggrinjester:

Uncle Dave
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
I believe Laveycraft does it on all of their boats. The one I used had a toggle for the ignition, then a button for the starter. I am going to convert my Fountain this winter amongst many other things.

Heres what Lavey just installed in my boat.

I still have a perko with a lock.

"Uncle Dave"

Sydwayz
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Just be aware that the BUI/BWI laws are written JUST like the automobile laws. If the KEY is IN the INGITION, this can qualify as a BUI/BWI.

I've seen it written up here in Virginia due to such.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the law(s), as in what if no one is in the driver's seat, or if you are beached vs. at anchor vs. drifting, or challenging the law based on push-button start.

But I do know that I like being able to pull my key(s) out of the ignition when needed.

Bertram38
02-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Push button for start of each engine, Toggle switch for both ignitions.

Jassman
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
works good, very simple, looks great.. turn key, flip toggle, push for activation..no issue's to date, it is great cause there a are a few steps in starting it where someone if not knowing what to do just pushes buttons, motor won't start..excellent safety feature. Jeff

cigracing1
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Got it on my 24 Cig.

OneBadInjun
02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
It can also be set-up with just pushbuttons. No key(s). Very simple.

KENNYO
02-03-2009, 11:52 AM

The new Maximas and Altimas have them. I didn't like them at first but they grow on you.
By the way the Maxima is a BADASS sedan for the money!

Geronimo36
02-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Hidden battery switches over here...

If I'm not around the boat the battery switches are turned off... I also view it as a safety and battery power concern to have them turned off whenever not in use. Bildge pumps are run off seperate power so no reason to keep the switches on.. Even on my "keyed" boats the switches were turned off if I wasn't around... IMHO boats are easy to steal, key or no key.

Wrinkleface
02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
works good, very simple, looks great.. turn key, flip toggle, push for activation..no issue's to date, it is great cause there a are a few steps in starting it where someone if not knowing what to do just pushes buttons, motor won't start..excellent safety feature. Jeff

Jazz, mine does not have the togs!! Just turn keys & push red buttons!!:)

I guess SoBo shorted me!!!!!:26:

Knot 4 Me
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The new Maximas and Altimas have them. I didn't like them at first but they grow on you.
By the way the Maxima is a BADASS sedan for the money!Alos options on the Toyota Camary and Avalon.

Jassman
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Jazz, mine does not have the togs!! Just turn keys & push red buttons!!:)

I guess SoBo shorted me!!!!!:26:

I think you were shorted at birth:blush5::ack2:Its probably just something they added on newer models..You just need to step up and order a new one..:leaving::sifone:

DonziGirl
02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by KENNYO
By the way the Maxima is a BADASS sedan for the money!

I've always liked the Maximas. I had an older one when I first graduated college and my parents have one now. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Holy Smokes
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Heres what Lavey just installed in my boat.

I still have a perko with a lock.

"Uncle Dave"

I had the combination ignition in a prior boat. Worked perfect every time.

Never need a key.... just don't forget the combination!!

Wrinkleface
02-03-2009, 08:41 PM
..You just need to step up and order a new one..:leaving::sifone:

wish I could!!!!!:(

stecz20
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Red start button is to the right of each key.

awsome and very classy looking dash tommy.....

sy goldberg
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
He went to a 7-11,pushed the button on the owner's head button nothing happened.:26::26::26:

baywatch
02-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a toggle switch to turn on the ignition and a momentary toggle to start it. To turn off you pull up on the toggle to release the lock and flip it off.

I've had keys and toggles and I think I like toggles better! Don't need no darn keys no more!

I've got the same (imagine that lol). This isn't the best pic, but the center toggles with the silver tip are for off or on and then on each side of them is the the start toggle that you press until the engine fires.

Second pic is a little better showing the toggles in the center. If anybody knows of a locking mechanism for the horn I am all ears. Minni me will honk the horn all day long if I will let him.

With respect to safety/theft I flip the battery switches as well as flip the kill lanyard while leaving the lanyard attached so it appears not to be flipped (there has been a Saturday morning or two that I crank the boat over about five times before I remember to flip the kill lanyard to the correct postition). All else fails it is insured.

bobkatz
02-04-2009, 01:59 AM
I have two toggles for ignition and two momentary toggles for start and no keys. It's funny how many times i have been asked where the keys are and how do you start it without keys.

For security purposes the lanyards are hidden when the tether is not on them.

Geronimo36
02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
It's funny how many times i have been asked where the keys are and how do you start it without keys.

Yeah, like my wife.... First time we anchored up I asked her to shut the engines down after I set the anchor and she couldn't figure it out... Then when I told her it was the two silver switches she still couldn't figure it out because you need to lift the switch, then push it back.... lol :ack2:

HotPursuit
02-06-2009, 12:38 AM
I have two toggles for ignition and two momentary toggles for start and no keys. It's funny how many times i have been asked where the keys are and how do you start it without keys.

For security purposes the lanyards are hidden when the tether is not on them.

Ditto !!!! Plus push the throttles forward a little to break the neutral safety..
I have people that want to drive all the time,tell them if you can start it you can drive it!! Pull the lanyards,in gear,ignition switches are aircraft safety.
10 years now and even boaters can seem to get it right!!:dupe:

MarylandMark
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
(there has been a Saturday morning or two that I crank the boat over about five times before I remember to flip the kill lanyard to the correct postition).

:sifone:

I did that... 5+ hours later as my Merc Mechanic was on his way down to meet me he happened to meantion on the phone if I checked that. I can't remember if my phone skipped across the water 4 times or 5 before it sunk when I threw it.....

fast fun 2
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
We uses toggles for iginition and start in all the skaters we rig