PDA

View Full Version : starter question

Euro Scott
01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I dont know where to start, but heres the story, brand new starters, some high torque racing style, new solenoid relay,ran the boat for the first time in a year last sunday and one of the breathers rubber grommets had relaxed and the breather came out while running, soaked the whole motor down with oil especially the starter side, fixed that and had many start since, yesterday while doing a long hard run 30-40 miles through 2-4fters stopped for lunch,was there about 1 1/2 hours, went to hit the starter button and the amp guage jumps a little and i hear a click. checked all wires for tightness ,all good. Normally I'd just pull the starter but this is the one on my starboard motor and you have to pull the motor to get to it.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Is it a click like a solenoid or a clunk like it hits the flywheel but doesn't move?

You can trouble shoot bad connections with your fingers sometimes. Bad contact makes heat. You can burn your fingers on a bad connection.

Euro Scott
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
its a click, sounds like the solenoid on top of the motor clicking, I did jump the wires to see if i could get it to go and it just clicked like it does with the starter button, question ? can I take a power wire directly to the starter terminal somewhere and make it go.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes, you can typically jump most starters directly. It maybe at the opposite side of solenoid or at the lug entering the starter. Be careful. I would suggest sniffing for fuel before jumping things.

You will need a wire equal the the starter cable

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-02-2009, 05:35 PM
It is a common mistake to confuse a starter problem with a hydrauliced motor.

If all else fails before you pull your motor to access starter pull your spark plugs and check for water or some other fluid.

inbetween
01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
It is a common mistake to confuse a starter problem with a hydrauliced motor.

If all else fails before you pull your motor to access starter pull your spark plugs and check for water or some other fluid.

I agree. Does the engine turn over by hand, with a wrench on the balancer bolt? If not, pull all the spark plugs and try again.

rockfish71
01-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Remove the plugs then go from there do not crank anymore

Euro Scott
01-04-2009, 07:28 AM
got her fixed yesterday, ran a jumper to one of the little wires and it spun, apparently it had rubbed on the motor and had not rubbed enough to break it, just short it..what a pain to work on that side of the motor, it almost seems like you need a hatch in the side to access the plugs, starter etc...