PDA

View Full Version : console repair question

Bobcat
12-28-2008, 10:10 AM
I am missing part of the corner on this console, what do I fill it with ?

Ratickle
12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Just cover it with the orange shag carpet.

old377guy
12-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Just cover it with the orange shag carpet.

you really meant green shag, didn't you?

Buoy
12-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Beer can??

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
How crazy do you want to get? It would be nice to lift enough to add and repair with glass.

Ratickle
12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
If you want serious answer, it looks like there is enough room under it to slip in a piece of wax paper. If that is true, then you can repair in place.

Rough it up with a chisel or similar, sand the top with really rough sandpaper, slip the wax under, then fill with a mix of chopped glass and resin. should bond okay and be sandable to the proper shape. The closer you get it to the original shape and thickness, the less sanding and re-glassing you will have to do.

When Dave sees this, he'll probably say I'm nuts and to remove the console and do it right.:)

Buoy
12-28-2008, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=Ratickle;56654]If you want serious answer, it looks like there is enough room under it to slip in a piece of wax paper. If that is true, then you can repair in place.

Rough it up with a chisel or similar, sand the top with really rough sandpaper, slip the wax under, then fill with a mix of chopped glass and resin. should bond okay and be sandable to the proper shape. The closer you get it to the original shape and thickness, the less sanding and re-glassing you will have to do.

[QUOTE]

I was going to say that.
But I thought Bobcat would see the beer can as more feasible - and readily available.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Maybe you can fix it in place. My guess that there is a mess expending down the edge of the flange . If It can be lifted enough to address from the underside the repair is likely to last longer. I agree removing the console is a pain. I think it is an all or nothing situation. If your just going to add some bondo you might as well save the time your wasting and put some caulk on it.

Ratickle
12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Ratickle;56654]If you want serious answer, it looks like there is enough room under it to slip in a piece of wax paper. If that is true, then you can repair in place.

[QUOTE]

I was going to say that.
But I thought Bobcat would see the beer can as more feasible - and readily available.

And he's had a lot more experience with beer cans.

Bobcat
12-29-2008, 12:26 AM
I can lift it an inch or so, without all of the cables and wiring coming undone, so I can address the underside, thanks for the info, but i do not understand where all of the hostility towards me comes from, don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful:coolgleamA:

Bobcat
12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
P.S. back when I had the mean looking avatar people respected me:biggrinjester:

glassdave
12-29-2008, 12:39 AM
If you want serious answer, it looks like there is enough room under it to slip in a piece of wax paper. If that is true, then you can repair in place.

When Dave sees this, he'll probably say I'm nuts and to remove the console and do it right.:)

no actually thats a good way to go about it . . . your nuts for plenty of other reasons though :D

if you dont want to pull the console bevel the area back with a small grinder or ball end rasp and make up a paste of coarsely milled fiberglass. You can do a pretty solid repair like this but if you can get one or two layers of 1808 in there it would be better.

phragle
12-29-2008, 01:11 AM
I honestly can not believe no one has mentioned using white duck tape!! are you going to re-gel the repair or paint?? if your painting, you could use a little epoxy with fairing filler....

Mitcher T
01-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I would do the wax paper and fiberglass route first, then fill with either Tiger Hair or DuraGlass and conform to shape. When you get close, then finish shaping with Icing Glazing/Finishing putty and primer with an epoxy primer and sand to a 400 or 600 grit finish.

When you get to the paint part of it, let me know by a post here, or call me on the phone and I'll walk you through the paint process. Keep your primering to a minimum as far as area covered by strategically masking the area off to rolled edges. Use a 'rolled edge' as a masking edge by rolling your tape edge back, leaving a tubular edge that you spray against. That will alleviate a hard edge that will take longer to feather sand off before you are ready to spray your color.

Take your time on these steps, you won't regret it.

My phone number is;
studio 269-795-2228
cell 269-908-0827

Mitcher T.

Ratickle
01-01-2009, 12:15 PM
no actually thats a good way to go about it . . . your nuts for plenty of other reasons though :D

Oh sure, just don't list them all......

Offshore Ginger
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I would do the wax paper and fiberglass route first, then fill with either Tiger Hair or DuraGlass and conform to shape. When you get close, then finish shaping with Icing Glazing/Finishing putty and primer with an epoxy primer and sand to a 400 or 600 grit finish.

When you get to the paint part of it, let me know by a post here, or call me on the phone and I'll walk you through the paint process. Keep your primering to a minimum as far as area covered by strategically masking the area off to rolled edges. Use a 'rolled edge' as a masking edge by rolling your tape edge back, leaving a tubular edge that you spray against. That will alleviate a hard edge that will take longer to feather sand off before you are ready to spray your color.

Take your time on these steps, you won't regret it.

My phone number is;
studio 269-795-2228
cell 269-908-0827

Mitcher T. Mitch are you now expanding your horizions on Serious offshore opposed to ( SPEEDWAKE ) and does Jeff know this :seeya::seeya::)

Ratickle
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Mitch are you now expanding your horizions on Serious offshore opposed to ( SPEEDWAKE ) and does Jeff know this :seeya::seeya::)

We hope so. Maybe we can give a free MitcherT paint job as a prize for the POTW winner...:26::26::26:

Offshore Ginger
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM

if you dont want to pull the console bevel the area back with a small grinder or ball end rasp and make up a paste of coarsely milled fiberglass. You can do a pretty solid repair like this but if you can get one or two layers of 1808 in there it would be better. All of you are right butttttttttttttttttt i would grind , fill with capasill or mill fiber , and glass with multiple layers of finish fabric or (chezze cloth ) because even the worst glass guy can work with this fabric and achive structural integrity .:seeya::)

Ratickle
01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
All of you are right butttttttttttttttttt i would fill with capasill and glass with multiple layers of finish fabric or (chezze cloth ) and different strokes for different folks and now i bet you really are confused , ha ha ha ha :seeya::)

That's okay, I was confused at birth. Now Bobcat is a different story. He gets confused when he's sober. The rest of the time he doesn't know he's confused, so he doesn't care.

Offshore Ginger
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
We hope so. Maybe we can give a free MitcherT paint job as a prize for the POTW winner...:26::26::26::):):):sifone::biggrinjester:

MarylandMark
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.gbfiberglassparts.com/consoles.aspx

Now turn Matlock off and get back to drinkin

Ratickle
01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
http://www.gbfiberglassparts.com/consoles.aspx

Now turn Matlock off and get back to drinkin

That would cut into his beer money.

Davidmnc
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I would take a differant approch. Use a ball pein hammer to do simmilar damage to the other corners, and start drinking more!!

Davidmnc
01-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I would take a differant approch. Use a ball pein hammer to do simmilar damage to the other corners, and start drinking more!!

This would NOT cut into your beer money at all! :sifone:

Ratickle
01-01-2009, 08:38 PM

That may be the approach he uses.

Offshore Ginger
01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
:):seeya::26::26::26:

Davidmnc
01-01-2009, 08:59 PM

It's just one more service I provide at no charge! :sifone:

Chris
01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Mitch are you now expanding your horizions on Serious offshore opposed to ( SPEEDWAKE ) and does Jeff know this :seeya::seeya::)

Damn glad to have a guy of that level of talent and skill here on the board- thanks for your participation!

OldSchool
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Damn glad to have a guy of that level of talent and skill here on the board- thanks for your participation!

Ditto. Welcome MitcherT!!!:)

Offshore Ginger
01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Damn glad to have a guy of that level of talent and skill here on the board- thanks for your participation! Mitch welcome aboard but ................................ if i were to express my knowledge of over 30 years doing fiberglass repair on SPEEDWAKE , i would be told it was a form of advertising , so with that in mind , if anybody would like me to talk them thru gas tank repair,s on there Skaters ,structural , or anything related to fiberglass repair , feel free to PM me ................ G G

Mitcher T
01-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everybody!

I'm still a moderator on Speedwake, too. Jeff and Karen are very close friends of mine. I don't see any problem with helping out here in the tech section, too. I'm just trying to help.

Offshore Ginger, your method is probably the best, I'll admit. There are several ways that would be appropriate to this repair. This isn't really a traffic area or a structural integrity issue, so I wouldn't worry too much about the true strength of this repair. Granted, it is on a corner where it may get stepped on inadvertantly, which is probably how the damage occurred in the first place. It was probably also laid up too thinly in the mold, also. So the combination resulted in what you see here.

As long as the cracks have been dremeled or routered out into virgin territory, and there has been a sufficient aggressive grit applied to the repair surface area, any of these methods will probaby be sufficient.

I like to advise people that are trying to do their own repairs by using materials that they are familiar with and are readily available and inexpensive. I always worry when a person has to start buying the minimal amounts of repair items and is only going to use a teaspoon of bondo or 3 square inches of matte. They have to buy a whole blanket of matte and a quart of resin, etc. By the time they are finished, they've spent $200 on a repair and used $10 in materials from it.

Usually, I offer to send the paint materials in a fractional setup (like 2 0z. bottles, etc.) as a kit for the paint side of it, just to help the owners out. That's why I like to coach them thru the process on the phone. It's so much easier and less time consuming.

I hope this helps out.

Mitcher T
01-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Mitch welcome aboard but ................................ if i were to express my knowledge of over 30 years doing fiberglass repair on SPEEDWAKE , i would be told it was a form of advertising , so i rest my caseeeeeeeeeeeeee and if anybody would like me to talk them thru gas tank repair,s on there Skaters ,structural , or anything related to fiberglass repair , feel free to PM me ................ G G

That's totally true OG. And that is exactly how it is handled on SW, too.

So to clarify your concern, I was asked a few weeks ago by the staff here on Serious Offshore to come aboard and act as a Tech expert and assist GlassDave in this section of the forum. I also am advertising on this website and have contributed product as giveaway items, etc. in order to help support this website.

I hope that answers your statement sufficiently. I am looking forward to helping anyone that has a need for it.

Mitch

Bobcat
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM

LOL that's what my dad would do, thanks for the help, I will probably tackle it this weekend.