PDA

View Full Version : Gun With arnesons

stecz20
12-25-2008, 10:20 PM
this is a pretty interesting project... tell us about it rik....

inbetween
12-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I know I don't get out much, but this is an unusual setup. How many cigs were made like this?

stecz20
12-25-2008, 11:47 PM
none.....

inbetween
12-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Ok...new question

How many were or are being re-rigged like this?

insanity
12-26-2008, 03:24 AM
From my talkings with Rik, any and all would benefit with this setup. From the outer strake that looks like a twin-step.

glassdave
12-26-2008, 07:50 AM
kvogt on here has a 38 Flatdeck with Arnesons.

SKRAMER
12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
HM!! I'd like to ride on it!!!

Sea-Dated
12-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Looks interesting. Would love to hear some perfomance numbers...

Chris
12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Dave, when you brought this up in chat the other night, I thought you were talking about Kris Vogt's 38 flatdeck. This is a different boat. Kris' has 1600's on it. This boat has the Bravo replacements. The boat probably can't tell the difference. The 1600's are longer and set canted inward- 1/4" between props. He's having alot of trouble propping it to get it to stop porpoising.

Those skegs are huge!

Geronimo36
12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Iteresting set-up!

I'd like to know how it worked out as the Cigs usually benefited from a set-up that was capable of lifting the bow. I believe that's why they made the 42X, without the rocker it's better suited to #6's.

Offshoredrillin
12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Iteresting set-up!

I'd like to know how it worked out as the Cigs usually benefited from a set-up that was capable of lifting the bow. I believe that's why they made the 42X, without the rocker it's better suited to #6's.
one of the original stagger 42's I think the x went through the water like flipper, then they changed it to the xp and got the cg correct. Rik said that this gun ran 100 with bravos, then they did less horsepower and still ran 100. sounds like a win win.

Rik
12-27-2008, 02:29 PM
The Yellow boat is a 2003' 38' TS TG (I have started to learn the Cig lingo) which currently has a set of 502's with Pro Charger grenades in it. The engines were dyno'd @ 730 hp on their own dyno and the boat ran just a skosh over 100 on its first sea trial with Arnesons. (They hurt a motor so no more sea trials till the earth thaws) With a good set of engines this boat will haul butt.

The customer is very happy as the boat has better acceleration, better cruise speed (12 mph faster than the Bravos) and a higher top speed.

With the Bravos they claim they had only reached 100 mph when they boost was turned up to make like 900 hp and then the boat broke Bravos and motors every time they went out. They tried all the Bravo copies with the same results before they turned to the Arnesons and they are very happy with the results.

Now for an older 38' TG non step, look at http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?threadid=52306&highlight=arneson

This older TG has the same drives as the newer one and this one hauls butt too.

Chris Voght has a 1986' TG that had TRS drives. He converted to a set of the 1600's and while he needed propellers (he finally broke down and purchased a set of Herings) ask him about his speed increase right out of the box over the TRS drives.

Chris has the drives set so that he has a stagger propeller shaft centerline and a side by side engine placement. Chris put his engines as far aft as he could with this setup but they are not as far aft as possible with the #7M's. Chris is also very happy with his choice. He hopes to reach 100 this summer.

stecz20
12-27-2008, 03:23 PM
good reading on the speedwake thread.... this is very interesting.. why dont we have more cigs with this set up????? fatboy might be a good test.. staggered 38 flat bottom.. ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... i like it....

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Chris has the drives set so that he has a stagger propeller shaft centerline and a side by side engine placement. Chris put his engines as far aft as he could with this setup but they are not as far aft as possible with the #7M's. Chris is also very happy with his choice. He hopes to reach 100 this summer.

Can you do this narrow centerline with the bravo conversion?

Rik
12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Can you do this narrow centerline with the bravo conversion?

Unfortunately not. My standoff boxes cannot be tilted over. What I could do is make an offset box that takes the transmisison output and moves it closer to the center. Basically like a transfer case but to be slick, one can use a 4"Gilmer" belt and eliminate any cooling or lubrication as the belts are air cooled and they can handle some big hp.

Only trade off would be the engines would not mount as far aft as they would with a standard #7M setup.

Rik

kvogt
12-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Merry Christmas

I have the flat deck with 1600 arnesons. Here goes the history.

The boat was originally a TRS boat which worked well until I put 540 with 8-71 blowers in front of them. After 4 drives the first summer I looked for options. 3s and 4s were marginal for strength and parts were getting scarse. 5s on boxes would be nice but were pricey at that time. Wet sixes are a heavy good option but transom assys were expensive, dry sixes were not in the budget. Konrads were just coming out. So I came across this set of Arneson drives, with the help and guidance of Rik at Arneson and Dana at Twin Disc I am very happy with my current set-up.

I have a slightly custom install. To keep the weight back in my boat I mounted the Arneson drop boxes on custom made 5 inch set back boxes. This allowed me to keep the engines in about the same place they were with the TRS drives and puts the prop 5 feet off the back of the boat. The drives are also modified to counter rotate with a 1.56 ratio.

How does it run.
When I put the blower 540s in the boat with TRS drives I went a dissapointing 76 mph and broke drives. After the Arnesons with good props it goes 90 all day. In the pictures it has the props turning in and 4 blade cleavers, this setup ran close to 90 but the rough water handling was not as good. I currently run the props turning out (right hand prop on the right side) and the handling is good but the speed suffered. Then came prop games, my best running props up to the current ones were a set of Hoss round ears. These props carried the front of the boat well and got me back to a solid 90 but I kept breaking blades. As Rik stated, I finally broke down and spent a bunch of money on some 21 degree rake 6 blade Herrings, these seem to run very well. I ram them late in the season then took my boat apart to redo.

For my boat the drives have worked very well. I never had porpoising problem. Props make a huge difference on how the boat carries in choppy rough water and top speed. I think on todays stepped hulls these drives would work very well.

Kris Vogt

Ratickle
12-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Great info. How much HP and what mufflers?

FULL FORCE
12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Merry Christmas

I have the flat deck with 1600 arnesons. Here goes the history.

The boat was originally a TRS boat which worked well until I put 540 with 8-71 blowers in front of them. After 4 drives the first summer I looked for options. 3s and 4s were marginal for strength and parts were getting scarse. 5s on boxes would be nice but were pricey at that time. Wet sixes are a heavy good option but transom assys were expensive, dry sixes were not in the budget. Konrads were just coming out. So I came across this set of Arneson drives, with the help and guidance of Rik at Arneson and Dana at Twin Disc I am very happy with my current set-up.

I have a slightly custom install. To keep the weight back in my boat I mounted the Arneson drop boxes on custom made 5 inch set back boxes. This allowed me to keep the engines in about the same place they were with the TRS drives and puts the prop 5 feet off the back of the boat. The drives are also modified to counter rotate with a 1.56 ratio.

How does it run.
When I put the blower 540s in the boat with TRS drives I went a dissapointing 76 mph and broke drives. After the Arnesons with good props it goes 90 all day. In the pictures it has the props turning in and 4 blade cleavers, this setup ran close to 90 but the rough water handling was not as good. I currently run the props turning out (right hand prop on the right side) and the handling is good but the speed suffered. Then came prop games, my best running props up to the current ones were a set of Hoss round ears. These props carried the front of the boat well and got me back to a solid 90 but I kept breaking blades. As Rik stated, I finally broke down and spent a bunch of money on some 21 degree rake 6 blade Herrings, these seem to run very well. I ram them late in the season then took my boat apart to redo.

For my boat the drives have worked very well. I never had porpoising problem. Props make a huge difference on how the boat carries in choppy rough water and top speed. I think on todays stepped hulls these drives would work very well.

Kris Vogt

I love that rear shot! bad azz!

kvogt
12-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Motors were never dynoed. Close to 800hp, the Stainless Marine Gen 2 stuff with 4 inch tails chokes it a bit. The mufflers are custom made.

Kris Vogt

Chris
12-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I never had porpoising problem.

My mistake on that one. I probably have your boat confused with another-

stecz20
12-28-2008, 12:32 PM
badass.....

Ratickle
12-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Motors were never dynoed. Close to 800hp, the Stainless Marine Gen 2 stuff with 4 inch tails chokes it a bit. The mufflers are custom made.

Kris Vogt

Who made the mufflers, and have DB's been tested?

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2008, 12:51 PM

Kris Vogt

Very Nice. Thanks for sharing. Isn't that the setup the Hustlers did years ago, side by side, engines back and tight centerline on drives.

Nice set up.

Rik, Any thought of creating a similar package for bravos. Or does something exist now. Seems to me that could be a popular conversion for old super V's and numerous pleasure boats.

It would be good to see your stuff racing in the OSS P1 rules class.

Rik
12-28-2008, 02:37 PM
You mean to make a side by side engine setup with a stagger propeller shaft setup?

Not really. The boats that need a stagger due to their application (high HP, high speed) will benefit from the engines being put forward and lower to help the cg and balance in the rougher water conditions.

The applications that have a side by side will be better in that configuration as they are easier to dock (regardless of outdrive) and they have different characteristics than the stagger has. So different setups for different needs.

The #7M's can be and have been mounted on a stagger or side by side so they can be mounted on the same setups as the Bravo's are.

OSS P1............. Would be nice, for the power they run, the #7M's could be used and they cost far less and weigh far less than a SSM#6, not to mention less hp loss as well.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks.
I have noticed some side by side race boats at attractive prices. It seems a conversion to staggered spaced surface drives with crash boxes is worth considering as an easy, affective option.

Oh well, Best wishes in the new year.

Roger 1
12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Here is a link to the web site so the rest of us can follow along at home.....

http://www.arneson-industries.com/

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Roger 1

Rik, a link in your signature would be helpful to others in the future

Rik
12-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks Roger 1

Rik, a link in your signature would be helpful to others in the future

I don't even know how to add a sig....

I had the title under my name with the web site but that has disappeared for some reason.

Time for editing.

Thanks

Rik

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-29-2008, 04:50 AM

I had the title under my name with the web site but that has disappeared for some reason.

Time for editing.

Thanks

Rik

Click user CP on upper tool bar/ select edit signature/ add your web address and anything else you may like/ select save changes You can change as many times as you like

The words under avatar aare in the process of change . Currently they are not changable

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-29-2008, 04:58 AM
It needs to be exactly like this http://www.arneson-industries.com/

You can also drag to select/ right click and copy url / and paste in sig

when it appears with a underline it is a link

OldSchool
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM

Time for editing.

Thanks

Rik

Hey Rik. If you need help with that, send me a Private Message or email with the info that you would like in your signature and I can make that change for you.

Craig :)

kvogt
12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Who made the mufflers, and have DB's been tested?

A buddy owns a fab shop. They are the same as Gaffrigs for DBs.

Rik
12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
It needs to be exactly like this http://www.arneson-industries.com/

You can also drag to select/ right click and copy url / and paste in sig

when it appears with a underline it is a link

Thanks!

Rik
12-29-2008, 01:24 PM
A buddy owns a fab shop. They are the same as Gaffrigs for DBs.

Hey Chris, beat this...

Chris
12-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey Chris, beat this...

161? Did you drop it out of an airplane?
;)

MikeyFIN
12-29-2008, 02:00 PM
161? Did you drop it out of an airplane?
;)

thats 161km/h=>100 miles.:biggrinjester:
Check the dial on 10...

Sorry to spoil your fun Rik but it was with 496 HO´s right ?

Chris
12-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Thought that might be it :)

That reminds me of a Glassdave story about GPS...
;)

glassdave
12-29-2008, 02:27 PM

;)

. . . i havent officially told it yet on the site :D

Rik
12-29-2008, 02:41 PM
thats 161km/h=>100 miles.:biggrinjester:
Check the dial on 10...

Sorry to spoil your fun Rik but it was with 496 HO´s right ?

Sure. :rofl:

Rik
12-29-2008, 02:46 PM

;)

Kris, here's one for you. Not in a a Cig though. :drool5:

kvogt
12-29-2008, 03:12 PM

I have to put it back together first, then I'll be jumping up and down if the GPS reads one zero zero.

Howard's boat?

Kris Vogt

stecz20
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM

;)

i knew that, how did you not know that... your slipping old man... slipping hard... i got you twice in a week.....

Rik
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I have to put it back together first, then I'll be jumping up and down if the GPS reads one zero zero.

Howard's boat?

Kris Vogt

Yep. There's hope for you. You should be able to get there this summer.

Chris
12-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Whatever it is, that's fast.

Tommy Gun
12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Steczerette...is that like a french poodle with one of those funky haircuts?

Ratickle
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Steczerette...is that like a french poodle with one of those funky haircuts?

You havn't seen his latest pic?

stecz20
12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
stay away from my thread you pigs.....

jet
02-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Sure. :rofl:

Is that a stock mount for the procharger (JUNK) it looks a lot better then the crap they sent me :sifone:

Rik
02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Is that a stock mount for the procharger (JUNK) it looks a lot better then the crap they sent me :sifone:

????

Never asked them where they got the stuff. They detuned it down to 680 in an attempt to make them live.