PDA

View Full Version : How about some strange shaped Old Race Boats

Clustergear
12-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Heres some old race boat with a strange look for the time

Clustergear
12-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Back than these boats looked funny, to most of us here in the US as we were used to most race boat having a flat deck. :biggrinjester:

Anchored
12-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Here's a few more of the first one>

Jeff

glassdave
12-25-2008, 03:23 PM
if your gonnna talk strange . . . . ya cant forget about "Spooky" :D

olli
12-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Colin Mudie design:

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/graham/racing/N/News+Of+The+World+_1966_.jpg.html

h2oMag
12-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Here is one from the early 80's, the Trition. They thought they had the answer to the catamaran !

old377guy
12-25-2008, 11:45 PM
thanks for the pix h2o mag, I was thinking of Triton when I opened this thread - been 25 or more years since I last saw one at a race in the San Francisco area. - Jeff

olli
12-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Another tripod:

glassdave
12-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Another tripod:

man that is strange. Anybody know how they handled?

NNRT
12-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Who has a photo of "Can DO" - the Sea Sled - now that was a piece of work - !

olli
12-26-2008, 02:11 PM

Did you think of this Sea Knife? If there was a "Can DO" Hickman slead I would definitely like to see a picture:drool5:

Bobcat
12-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I have a copy of powerboat that has a pic of the sea sled, I'll dig through some issues.

tommymonza
12-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a nice big article with lots of pics about the SeaSled in an old Woodenboat mag.My Scanner is acting up right now but i will try to post it later

ygrowup
12-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Seem to remember film footage of that beast and the commentator (T2X?) said something to the effect that it was a cross between an aircraft carrier and a wedge of cheese!!

NNRT
12-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Seem to remember film footage of that beast and the commentator (T2X?) said something to the effect that it was a cross between an aircraft carrier and a wedge of cheese!!

Yup - it was a sight to be seen - UnREAL!

PHIL

Steve 1
12-26-2008, 10:03 PM

The great James Beard tried to make them work BUT nothing beats a Cat. I saw an unlimited Hydro in the reverse three-point configuration can you say Lawn Dart!! The front section broke off on impact when it found it’s way back into the water, a very ugly crash.

Let’s see you take a very short Cat then place a blockage in what is left of the tunnel with a Vee (slug) bottom NO less LOL and NOW that Thing has ONLY the drag of the missing sponsons !!!! But NO lift! Not good! a step foreword and two back.

MikeyFIN
12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
The great James Beard tried to make them work BUT nothing beats a Cat. I saw an unlimited Hydro in the reverse three-point configuration can you say Lawn Dart!! The front section broke off on impact when it found it’s way back into the water, a very ugly crash.

Let’s see you take a very short Cat then place a blockage in what is left of the tunnel with a Vee (slug) bottom NO less LOL and NOW that Thing has ONLY the drag of the missing sponsons !!!! But NO lift! Not good! a step foreword and two back.

Hereīs one that has given some cats over here a run for their money in the same class... and it beats a batboat hands down.
33 starts and 33 Wins outright.
http://www.tg-boat.fi/racing/Aggskarsfjarden.jpg

Steve 1
12-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Hereīs one that has given some cats over here a run for their money in the same class... and it beats a batboat hands down.
33 starts and 33 Wins outright.
http://www.tg-boat.fi/racing/Aggskarsfjarden.jpg

Good idea narrow stabilised Vee bottom. That will work!

MikeyFIN
12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Good idea narrow stabilised Vee bottom. That will work!

I must mention also that it has the U.I.M speed record in itīs class as the fastest monohull under 1.3 liters.

Actually a batboat is also a stabilised V-bottom but look at this ones steps. they donīt step and therefore could work better in boat with a seriously raised X, like a Surface drive to provide cleaner water to the prop.
Or what do you guys think?

Steve 1
12-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I must mention also that it has the U.I.M speed record in itīs class as the fastest monohull under 1.3 liters.

Actually a batboat is also a stabilised V-bottom but look at this ones steps. they donīt step and therefore could work better in boat with a seriously raised X, like a Surface drive to provide cleaner water to the prop.
Or what do you guys think?

Glassdave is the one to ask about that he has a lot of seat time in those.

Back in the day I built a stepped wing EP Class outboard (70 Yamaha) race boat for a guy in Portugal, low and behold about a year later I saw the first bat boat!

Mange
12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Here's a few more of the first one>

Jeff

Thanks for these photos Jeff:) I think that's a cool boat and it handle well.
well, not to well....:(
Very nice video here but also a sad story..
http://www.mtiboats.no/bilder/videos/12.wmv

Here's more about Didier Pironi, driver of "Colibri"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Pironi

Mange

Anchored
12-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Mange,

That's a great film you have attached. Things are pretty cold in Stockholm I would imagine?
Some day I will make it there to see your boat.

Jeff

MikeyFIN
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
FYI just as cold or a tad warmer than Minneapolis.
Dunno about Stockholm but we havenīt got our snow for the winter yet...

littlenige
01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Mange thanks for posting that vid - I had never seen it either.

Here's a shot of the odd looking Paketa - check out that hull design. Built by Codecasa I believe.

Mange
01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Mange,

That's a great film you have attached. Things are pretty cold in Stockholm I would imagine?
Some day I will make it there to see your boat.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Off course you have to visit Stockholm soon, put it up in your agenda for coming summer:) Would be great to take a ride with you in my 28 Arrow.
Then you can try the foot throttle:sifone:

Yeep, it's pretty cold here but I am planing to make my boat ready to test
mid march.

Mange

shifter
01-10-2009, 02:06 AM
I had my first offshore ride in Paketa before it was called that. Polli built it that is why it has the rainbow on the side. It was primer brown when I was in it in Viareggio (Coda Casa) for the test. We were running our 2-speeds on a test before the 4-engine 44ft Bearcat (Victory Design) was completed.

It was running on the lake earlier in the year and the faster it went the lower it got in the water. The trimaran design was acting like a difuser and sucking the boat down. When I tested in it it had a big air intake snorkle welded into the deck to funnel air into the tunnel. Then they put the NACA ilets in the front just below the deck line. I have pics somewhere. sounded cool with the lambos but 90 mph max.

pat W

littlenige
01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Pat please tell us you have some pics!! Would love to see them.

shifter
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Here are the pics that I found so far.

Viareggio 1989 at Codacasa due. I have more but they are somewhere burried. Last pic are the 2-speed transmissions that we were testing.

pat W

shifter
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
wrong pic #2 that is at Faustos shop in Torino 1991/2.

pat W

Madcow
01-13-2009, 08:39 PM

That boat is sitting on the back lot at Disney World. At least it was 2 years ago. I looked at the thing, still looked pretty good. Apperently they used it in some movie.

shifter
01-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Here are some more of the tri-hull. Bruno Palcetti is in the photo with the lambo and the 2-speed. Note the dirt floor, I missed the photo of the 3/4 ratchet set we had for tools.

pat W:sifone: