PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 powerstroke white smoke?

jryan26
12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Started smoking when it was cold and now has white smoke coming out all of the time. Runs great with no power loss, and it is not pressurizing the coolant bottle like it would with a blown head gasket. Any ideas?

mikes280
12-20-2008, 01:21 AM
junk

Davidmnc
12-20-2008, 01:26 AM
6.0 :huh::iagree:

Madpoodle
12-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Possible pcv valve cooler..

MILD THUNDER
12-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Actually, its your EGR cooler more than likely. Just went thru this. Smell your exhaust, is it sweet smelling? Egr cooler leaks coolant into the intake tract, and then gets burned and spit out the exhaust. Had it fixed under powertrain warranty.

jryan26
12-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Actually, its your EGR cooler more than likely. Just went thru this. Smell your exhaust, is it sweet smelling? Egr cooler leaks coolant into the intake tract, and then gets burned and spit out the exhaust. Had it fixed under powertrain warranty.

Thats what I was thinking. This one has 105k on it.

macjazzy
12-20-2008, 10:30 AM
15 year Ford senior master tech, I second the egr cooler. However since you are out of warr. I would suggest looking into either an egr cooler block off plate or delete pipe. Because replacing the bad one with a factory one will result in it going bad again. Also when teh egr cooler goes bad it severly restricts coolant flow to the oil cooler. When that goes bad you get oil in the coolant which is a beotch to clean out.

The downside is it will obviously not be emmisions compliant anymore and it will set a check engine light. Although you can get a tuner to turn it off.

jryan26
12-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Can I put the block off plate on without first fixing the cooler? How tough is it to install the plate? I have read that you can just put a freeze plug in the 2004 to block this off?

Break'inWind
12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
15 year Ford senior master tech, I second the egr cooler. However since you are out of warr. I would suggest looking into either an egr cooler block off plate or delete pipe. Because replacing the bad one with a factory one will result in it going bad again. Also when teh egr cooler goes bad it severly restricts coolant flow to the oil cooler. When that goes bad you get oil in the coolant which is a beotch to clean out.

The downside is it will obviously not be emmisions compliant anymore and it will set a check engine light. Although you can get a tuner to turn it off.

I believe it's the other way around... Doesn't really matter though. Oil Cooler gets clogged, then the EGR cooler goes bad... When you get the EGR Cooler replaced, always replace the Oil Cooler too. There's also a lot of information over on "thedieselstop.com" on this issue. Are you filling the degas bottle routinely? Has it just started doing this when the temps dropped? There was a recall on the the clamps to the EGR cooler... sometimes they leak when it gets colder too.

spilman
12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
This just hapened on my old 05 6.0....sold it to my buddy about a yr ago, so he had to deal w/it. I felt bad since the truck was so good to me. He's @ 120k miles so no warranty... but Ford dharged ALOT to fix it and the oil cooler ?valve? or something...3k to fix?
BTW, my 08' 6.4 blows serious white smoke every 100 miles or so for 30 seconds; I assume it is the incinerator;that right??

Madpoodle
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Possible pcv valve cooler..

Where's the :dohemoticon: when I need it.. :blush5: i knew when I typed that something was wrong, couldn't figure out what so I went to bed :) :)

If you continue to ignore it, you will get erl in the water puke tank eventually :) :)

fixxxer22
02-22-2010, 09:21 PM

:iagree:

Are you loosing any coolant? Are you loosing any oil? And if the cooler leaks it will sometimes over pressure the degas tank.

fixxxer22
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM

:iagree:

The only way you will not get a MIL lamp is you either unplug the valve or have exhaust like a cat delete. No matter what though during a KOER self test it will see no difference between IAT1 and IAT2 and assume there is no flow through the cooler.

I ask if your oil is low also due to the fact that we are starting to see turbo bushings go bad an put oil into the exhaust stream.

if you are low on coolant i would make sure to take the pressure off the cooling system every time you shut the engine off because the pressure that sits after the truck is shut off will stay on the cooling system. if it contiunues to leak it will find its way into an exhaust manifold and through an open valve. then it will hydrolock.