PDA

View Full Version : Simple Bravo question

4mulafastech
12-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Will be removing my Bravo 1 outdrives to take a peek at the u-joints and bellows and was wondering... Is there a check valve or something to prevent the gear lube reservoir from draining out? It's a 2006 Formula and I have never had the outdrives off before.:huh:

Oops... I know, should have posted in Driveline Tech...

glassdave
12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
yes, the oil reciever where the upper bolts on the bell is spring loaded and checks the oil from draining

YoungPerformance
12-19-2008, 10:18 PM
If you are going to change the drive oil, you should drain it before you remove the drive. If you don't, there will be old oil that remains in the hose and the reservior. You should drain the oil and then periodically remove the reservior and clean it out. You will get some gunk built up at the bottom of the reservior over time.
Eddie

4mulafastech
12-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear that! That stuff is like liquid gold.

Eddie, I already changed the oil and even took the time to remove the reservoirs and clean them out. Filled the outdrives back up a couple weeks ago THEN decided it would probably be a good idea to check out the u-joints and bellows. btw, I used 100% mineral spirits to break-up the gear lube and what little bit of gunk was on the bottom of the reservoir. Followed with hot, soapy water and dried them out really good. Is that how you guys do it?

Thanks again! Now I'm off to build a homemade drive stand.:26: