PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Charger on a 496

Trippin
12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Has anyone heard of or experienced any deterioration or damage to a post 2004 496 with the Pro-Charger upgrade? 3lb or 5lb?

YoungPerformance
12-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Haven't heard of many that haven't had problems. Just not a good platform to supercharge. They obviously do better with only 3 psi boost. At 5 psi, you are asking for trouble. I could not even estimate how many I have seen and heard about blowing up. The problems are not only with a Procharger, they are breaking with any SC. They were just not made for it.
Eddie

Trippin
12-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks, that's about what I expected.

PatriYacht
12-23-2008, 09:34 AM
I have heard that the top ring is too close to the top of the piston. Too much boost or a little bit of detonation is all it takes to melt that thin area of the piston. No more than 3 lbs. of boost if you do it.

Lakeside
12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
There are a lot of rumors out there about putting boost to a 496. I have knowledge of both. So below is my opinion. Also I will say right up front that obviously forged internals would be better & are still better than cast. So that aside.......... :

I have a whipple on my own 496 mag ho running 5-6psi. I am going into my 3rd season with it running strong. That said the whipple kit is much more precise over the PC. I also am running an auxillary oil cooler & much larger heat exchanger on my ap with some other stuff. However the internals are stock.

As far as the procharger on a 496 I am not a big fan of it due to it lack of being precise. Also they only have a listing for up to 04 on it. The lack of a proper ecm cal & boost sensor certainly make it all the more risky on it from ATI. However if you were to remap & use larger injectors and a boost sensor instead of just a map one would be better off.

There is a bit more to it than that on both of these kits, but those are at least most of the basics from the top of my head.

;) Jamie / Lakeside

Trippin
12-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I was figuring at the very least I would have to tweak the ECM's, utilize the Whipple ecm upgrade with the Pro-Chargers. However I am leaning more towards the complete Whipple package now rather than the Pro-Chargers. Thanks for the input.

Lakeside
12-24-2008, 06:47 PM
No problem & your'e welcome. Also again IMO yes the Whipple is a MUCH better way to go on the 496 platform for sure.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Raylar
12-31-2008, 02:38 PM
If you have to supercharge a STOCK 496, Jamie at Lakeside is correct, the Whipple is the only way to go. Whipples ECM re-programs and properly calibrated fuel delivery system will give you the best performance and hopeful reliability. A Pro-Charger system without custom programming and special set up in the boat is a recipe for disaster!
If you want to still run 87 octane fuel and have better reliability, longevity and close performance gains then you should consider our Raylar 525HP -103 kit.

Be careful, do it right with expert help and you will have a better overall upgrade expierence! Boat safe and enjoy!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Lakeside
12-31-2008, 09:29 PM
If you have to supercharge a STOCK 496, Jamie at Lakeside is correct, the Whipple is the only way to go. Whipples ECM re-programs and properly calibrated fuel delivery system will give you the best performance and hopeful reliability. A Pro-Charger system without custom programming and special set up in the boat is a recipe for disaster!
If you want to still run 87 octane fuel and have better reliability, longevity and close performance gains then you should consider our Raylar 525HP -103 kit.

Be careful, do it right with expert help and you will have a better overall upgrade expierence! Boat safe and enjoy!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Thanks Ray.. & I also should have probably added that you have one heck of a kit to add power to the 496's as well for those that want to do it without boost, or those who only want to futher enhance thier boosted units.. :)

Happy New year every one.. :) :hurray:

Jamie / Lakeside