PDA

View Full Version : Check out this hitch installation. (this is for Sydwayz)

buck
12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Pulled this truck in this morning to spray a bedliner in it. Found out it had some fifth wheel plates I needed to remove. (I dispise these things with a passion) Noticed each plate only had two bolts in it. I thought ok, no big deal as long as they are attached to the frame. No dice, they pulled the factory bed bolts out and replaced them with these bolts. That means the only thing holding each plate on is a bolt going through a thread clip. :beatdeadhorse5:

I see stuff like this all the time. Thought Brian would like it.

Buck

Sea-Dated
12-19-2008, 11:56 AM
That is scary. Hopefully they never actually towed anything with that set up.

:eek:

MattBMiller
12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
nice work!!

glassdave
12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
i would cover my ass on that issue if you had to remove them to put the coating on. Make a note on the bill they were removed and replaced as previously installed or something like that. Having the pics helps to, thats scary stuff right there.

kvscarab38
12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
i would cover my ass on that issue if you had to remove them to put the coating on. Make a note on the bill they were removed and replaced as previously installed or something like that. Having the pics helps to, thats scary stuff right there.

Or maybe be better to leave them off tell customer he might want to repaint them so they don't rust and have them installed correctly or maybe he doesn't even use them hopefully or he just bought the truck used and maybe don't want them back on.

buck
12-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Way ahead of ya big daddy. Not my first rodeo.

I will probably tell them what I think of the install and make them initial a foot note on the receipt about it so we're not liable.

Buck

JAIME
12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
scarry, hopfully he will hire you to do it right. ya never know one day you might find yourself behind him.

Sunsation96
12-19-2008, 05:05 PM
That's crazy, but maybe he thought with your bed liner spray would provide extra support and strength:rofl:

Perlmudder
12-19-2008, 05:17 PM
yikes...

BUIZILLA
12-19-2008, 08:00 PM
did they actually tow with that base setup?

buck
12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
did they actually tow with that base setup?

I'm assuming they did. I politely showed my concern about it when they picked it up. He indicated that he had been using those same base plates in his last five trucks and all of them were installed just like these were. He told me he had never had a problem and doubted that he would. He thanked me for my concern and I thanked him for letting us do his liner.

He did say the bolts were on the front side of the plates which is where the load is during towing anyway. I agreed but told him there would be a greater load under braking than there would during acceleration and that the other side is where the stress would be during braking.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

I should have taken a pick when we got done with the truck but didn't have time.

Buck

03darkshadow
12-20-2008, 12:25 PM
thats scary, the idiocy of people amazes me

Sydwayz
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
That's CRAZY!!

Audiofn
12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Who died and made you tow police!!!! :D:D

Stupid is a stupid does

mcraymond3
12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Unbelievable!!

Sea-Dated
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
But he is only going a couple miles and will go very slow.

He will be fine.:boxing_smiley: