PDA

View Full Version : Lanyard

THEJOKER
10-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Wear your lanyards. Ok I said it here 1st - haha.

BY U BOY
10-10-2008, 10:29 PM

you actually wear that thing:rolleyes:It makes it hard for me to get to my drink.

THEJOKER
10-10-2008, 10:33 PM
you actually wear that thing:rolleyes:It makes it hard for me to get to my drink.

Hate to admit it but I was pitched one time without it. Bye , bye boat. Never again.

BY U BOY
10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Some times I forget to put it on until i push the throttle then it goes on. I do feel very safe in my scarab with it being a sit down and the free board above my shoulder.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Anybody ever been on the floor looking at and trying to reach the throttles?

THEJOKER
10-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Yea more than once. Specificially remember Daytona 2002!

smittyseng
10-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I was driving my boat by myself (which is rare) down on lake pickwick on vacation trying to see what my new top speed was on the last day I was there about 5 years ago. My boat had a new 540 that was only about 750 hp (blown) and I hit a crusier wake at about 80 mph (the water is real brown and sun was shining so somehow I didn't see it). I was tossed off the throttles into the back seat,the boat shut down (I WAS wearing my lanyard) then I was thrown down into the cabin violently. I crawled back out,regained my composure,forced the shifter into neutral,plugged my tether back in then gingerly drove to the boat launch right near pier 57 marina un-eventfully. Could have been another tragedy,I always wear mine when on plane,Smitty

cosmic12
10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
We need to find a set of PINK ones for Fund!!!!!:rolleyes:

fund razor
10-12-2008, 09:33 AM
We need to find a set of PINK ones for Fund!!!!!:rolleyes:
Beat ya to it, I was looking for pink lanyards yesterday. :D

Edward R. Cozzi
10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
To set an example, we all should install them in our cars.

cosmic12
10-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Beat ya to it, I was looking for pink lanyards yesterday. :D

Did ya find'em?:p

glassdave
10-13-2008, 04:35 PM

it can never be said enough . . .

Between the ScarabIII and the Donzi and Batboat the lanyard is mounted in two different locations. My Scarab is to the left and below the wheel and on the Donzi and Batboat its on the right, by the throttles. I am so use to having the band on my wrist it feels out of place when i drive with one clipped anywhere else. Sort of like when you dont have a seat belt on in a car. Brad S. of Tres Martins driving school says they teach using wrist lanyards for just that reason. When ever i am behind the wheel i am subconsciously reminded to put it on because of the prior repetition of use.

Chris
10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
To set an example, we all should install them in our cars.

There was one evening many years ago that such a device would have come in handy. ;)

THEJOKER
10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn-9XYScik

Honored to have Pantera use my ejection in The Worlds 1999. Look at 2 minutes 14 seconds in and you see why PFD's and Lanyards saved my life.

Geronimo36
10-22-2008, 03:36 PM

I remember a time when I first got my Scarab. I rounded Sandy Hook and got into some 6 footers. My buddy Mike was with me and he was never on a speed boat before but he's a diehard sports guy and likes adrenaline... Before we took off I told him to hold on, don't compress when we land, just obsorb a little shock but don't compress....

Well, I start getting on it, about 65-70 mph... We make the final turn around the hook and hit the first swell. We launch level with perfect attitude, I pull back on the sticks, we land in the trough and I gun it to keep the bow down so we could launch off the second one. As I'm doing so, I notice Mike absorbing the shock from the landing and squats down almost to the floor. I'm giving it throttle and getting ready to launch off the second one I see him out of the corner of my eye starting to spring back up from the floor..... I say to myself; "oh chit, he's going to eject himself right out of the boat, this is NOT GOOD..."

We launch the second wave and Mike starts flying out of the bolster. Mind you this guy is a baseball player at Tampa University, about 200 lbs, early 20's and in great shape.... I simultaneously pull back on the sticks and grab Mikes pant leg as he's flying out and quickly pull him back down... About that time the boat starts landing and Mike comes down landing on the floor inside the boat between the bolsters...... A little bewildered by what just happened, he stands up and says "that was awesome":ack2:

It scared the chit out me and I've never gone swell jumping again with someone who doesn't know what they are doing and we were only doing 65-70 mph.

Folks, don't mess with mother nature... Respect it and be cognizant of the dangers we all face.... I was 19-20 yrs old at the time...luckilly no one got hurt...

Fever Mike
10-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Honored to have Pantera use my ejection in The Worlds 1999. Look at 2 minutes 14 seconds in and you see why PFD's and Lanyards saved my life.

Brian, will a Lanyard save me from getting a black and blue azz like you? What will Reggie think when i moon him?:ack2::blush5:

BRAD SCHOENWALD
10-23-2008, 10:23 AM
We will have LIFELINE Starter Jackets availible for purchase at the Key West Poker Run. You can buy them each night following the drivers meetings starting Monday Night November 3rd or at Key West.

These are the silver grey starter jackets in all stock sizes. If you want a different color, type, custom size or special order call 954 560 9080 or emial bcschoe@msn.com

Mercury ignition stop lanyards and wrist bands will also be availible.

Jassman
10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Ive always worn one, more justifyable now since all of what's been happening on what we read on threads and other forums. Scare's the crap out of me. The wrist band lanyard that I received from the Tres School works out real good, and always goes on my shifter's, it's a good reminder, every time. Jeff

US1Fountain
11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I have a wrist band that hangs on the ignition keys. Always right there and can be slipped on w/o looking. Learned several yrs ago how fast chit can go wrong when you don't see it coming. Been a wearing ever since whenever the boat goes faster than idle. (I know, need to work on the full time thing)

Macklin
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I started wearing mine when I bought my first go fast back in '94. Not my first boat by any means...and not even the fastest. It was a little Donzi Sweet 16 that was a blast to drive. But was it squirrely! Never knew how the thing would take flight...lean to left, lean to right, and maybe fly straight once in a while. And fly it did. I'll never forget how some of my die hard boating friends refused to ride in it with me because I loved to push it to its limits. :)

That was 5 boats ago. Been wearing my lanyard ever since. Hate the wrist band though. I tie mine to my swim suit string or clip it to my pants.

Why, oh why, do the Merc Racing shorts my wife gave me for Xmas NOT have a lanyard clip built into them? :mad:

Magnum Mark
11-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Also a great anti-theft device as well. Safety first.

Clustergear
11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
When rigging a boat ALWAYS put the lanyard to the right side!!!! I learned the hard way. Was running down the lake one around 70 mph and the wife was screaming slow down its to rough, so of course I went faster. Layard was mounted left of steering wheel near center of boat. She reached over and yanked it. Well the boat slowed real fast and the water came up the transom, of course at that rpm the motor got pre-ignition and ingested the water.. Lots of bent valves. That was in 1980 so ever since I mount layards where no one else can grab it

RumRunner
11-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Yea more than once. Specificially remember Daytona 2002!

Heck I'm sore just thinking about that weekend!

offthefront
11-26-2008, 12:16 AM
When rigging a boat ALWAYS put the lanyard to the right side!!!! I learned the hard way. Was running down the lake one around 70 mph and the wife was screaming slow down its to rough, so of course I went faster. Layard was mounted left of steering wheel near center of boat. She reached over and yanked it. Well the boat slowed real fast and the water came up the transom, of course at that rpm the motor got pre-ignition and ingested the water.. Lots of bent valves. That was in 1980 so ever since I mount layards where no one else can grab it

X wife ? I just get slapped in the back of the head .....:)

johnlomant
11-26-2008, 09:35 AM
I always have mine on my wrist with the velcro strap from the Tres Martin Boat School.

rockfish71
11-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I was driving my boat by myself (which is rare) down on lake pickwick on vacation trying to see what my new top speed was on the last day I was there about 5 years ago. My boat had a new 540 that was only about 750 hp (blown) and I hit a crusier wake at about 80 mph (the water is real brown and sun was shining so somehow I didn't see it). I was tossed off the throttles into the back seat,the boat shut down (I WAS wearing my lanyard) then I was thrown down into the cabin violently. I crawled back out,regained my composure,forced the shifter into neutral,plugged my tether back in then gingerly drove to the boat launch right near pier 57 marina un-eventfully. Could have been another tragedy,I always wear mine when on plane,Smitty
That's always makes for a fun ride after words:willy_nilly:

Perlmudder
11-26-2008, 09:07 PM

ouch. bent the shifter in half!!:(

Thunderstruck
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I started wearing the lanyard a few years ago after reading forum posts on the internet. Great teaching tool. Thanks for the stories guys, great reinforcement.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-01-2008, 11:12 PM
People generally don't share the truly ugly stories.

DonMan
12-05-2008, 12:54 AM
I have a VERY comfortable , adjustable, padded wristband that I got from Tres Martin.

OK Brad, how was that plug ?

I`ll send you a PM with instructions on where to send the $5 :03:

BRAD SCHOENWALD
12-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a VERY comfortable , adjustable, padded wristband that I got from Tres Martin.

OK Brad, how was that plug ?

I`ll send you a PM with instructions on where to send the $5 :03:

Thanks DMAN Send me the inof. These do make great stocking Sutffer!

Jassman
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks DMAN Send me the inof. These do make great stocking Sutffer!

those look familiar...Tres gave me 2 one for each boat..much nicer than the orig. ones, more comfortable. Jeff

baywatch
12-11-2008, 12:23 AM
This might be a dumb question, but is there a benefit of a wrist lanyard over one that clips to your belt loop, or board shorts? My only issue with my clip on type is I forget it is on and sometimes when I am solo and put a fender out on the port I kill the engines.

jmoore32fever
12-11-2008, 03:55 AM
where to buy the wrist band pictured in post #31 need a lanyard as well if anyone could also point me in that direction thanx

Geronimo36
12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
This might be a dumb question, but is there a benefit of a wrist lanyard over one that clips to your belt loop, or board shorts? My only issue with my clip on type is I forget it is on and sometimes when I am solo and put a fender out on the port I kill the engines.

I usually put mine on the shorts or somewhere on my life jacket while underway. Once off plane I take it off.

Throttling and adjusting trim in rough water I was always nervous about the cord possibly getting hung up on something and cutting the engines which could be very dangerous upon re-entry without any power and I didn't want it on my steering arm either. The only time I wear a wrist band is when I'm on a jetski. Different strokes for different folks I guess!:)

Here's another one.... You have the lanyard on your wrist and a helicopter flys overhead for a photo opp.. You lift your arm over your head and wave to the copter and if the lanyard is too short..... whoops... dead in the water... :rofl:

baywatch
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I usually put mine on the shorts or somewhere on my life jacket while underway. Once off plane I take it off.

Throttling and adjusting trim in rough water I was always nervous about the cord possibly getting hung up on something and cutting the engines which could be very dangerous upon re-entry without any power and I didn't want it on my steering arm either. The only time I wear a wrist band is when I'm on a jetski. Different strokes for different folks I guess!:)

Here's another one.... You have the lanyard on your wrist and a helicopter flys overhead for a photo opp.. You lift your arm over your head and wave to the copter and if the lanyard is too short..... whoops... dead in the water... :rofl:

cool, I think I will just keep my current technique and remember to remove it when off of plane.

BRAD SCHOENWALD
12-13-2008, 01:41 AM
where to buy the wrist band pictured in post #31 need a lanyard as well if anyone could also point me in that direction thanx

Here you go.

http://www.tresmartinperformance.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=32

I have mercury lanyards and Lifeline jackets in stock as well.

Happy Holidays,

Brad

Break'inWind
12-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Here you go.

http://www.tresmartinperformance.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=32

I have mercury lanyards and Lifeline jackets in stock as well.

Happy Holidays,

Brad

Hey Brad, paypal has been sent for a Red one... Happy Holidays to you too!

old377guy
12-26-2008, 12:55 PM
used to keep them clipped to my belt loops and was always killing the engines when I move to get something; now I keep them attached to a wrist band

jmoore32fever
12-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Where to buy the merc. Lanyard?

BRAD SCHOENWALD
12-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Where to buy the merc. Lanyard?

I have them in stock. $15.00 for two. You can order with paypal or call in a CC.

Happy Holidays,

Brad

954 560 9080

Otis311
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I have them in stock. $15.00 for two. You can order with paypal or call in a CC.

Happy Holidays,

Brad

954 560 9080

hey, your phone called me 3x again today

BRAD SCHOENWALD
12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
hey, your phone called me 3x again today

I guess it really likes you but you didnt call it back..It was trying to sell you some LifeLines.......I will fix that problem...Sorry

drew0982
01-12-2009, 05:13 PM
heard a story of a guy losing his leg after being thrown out of his boat in the middle of a sharp turn... prop bite...

sy goldberg
01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
STECZ wears his attached to his single scrotum and he doesn't even have a boat !:26::26::26:

Clustergear
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
If you wear the lanyard on wrist aren't the motors going to shut off everytime you reach back into the cooler for a beer ?????????:drool5:

RumRunner
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
If you wear the lanyard on wrist aren't the motors going to shut off everytime you reach back into the cooler for a beer ?????????:drool5:

That is the sole purpose of having the bimbo to hand you a cocktail :sifone:

dwtinc
01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
That is the sole purpose of having the bimbo to hand you a cocktail :sifone:

No its not. I don't want to tire her for later

RumRunner
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
No its not. I don't want to tire her for later

If bending over to pick up a beer tires her out you've got a problem... Unless you mean that reading the labels to see which one is beer....

Davidmnc
01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
If bending over to pick up a beer tires her out you've got a problem... Unless you mean that reading the labels to see which one is beer....

That's not a problem...........there should be NOTHING in the cooler BUT beer! :sifone:

Clustergear
01-16-2009, 07:13 PM
OK I can tell some of you haven't been performance boat long enough!!

Yes; lanyards for saftey

Bimbo; to get beers NO Wrong

The Bolster seat was made to drop down: Driver Stands and Bimbo sits on floor facing toward rear of boat !! OK now she can hand you a beer....:drool5:

MarylandMark
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Driver Stands and Bimbo sits on floor facing toward rear of boat !! OK now she can hand you a beer....:drool5:

Rouge wave and your talking a few octaves higher forever..

Revd Up
04-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Yes I have. Never forgot that lesson. Luckily I was alone in the boat doing a fly by for my buddy to take some pictures. Happened about 15yrs ago. Launched, tripped , then hooked. Slammed me on the floor of the boat and knocked the crap out of me. I got the throttle back though. :eek: