PDA

View Full Version : Richland Regatta boat races start this Friday at Howard Amon Park

Serious News
06-02-2016, 11:34 PM
RICHLAND, WA. -- We've been telling you about it for months and this weekend, the Richland Regatta is holding its inaugural racing event on the Columbia River.

Do you find yourself already counting down the days to Water Follies this summer? Well you can scratch some of that boat racing itch this weekend when a brand new racing event comes to the Tri-Cities. On Friday, the waters outside Howard Amon Park will turn into the site for the Richland Regatta.

The roar of boat racing is returning to the Columbia River a little bit earlier this year.

"We're standing right at the start finish line," John Culver, President of the Northwest Power Boat Association said. "Right here will be the scorers clock, our scorers, timers everything right here."

The unlimiteds aren't hitting the waters this weekend. But among the 60 racers are some of the world's best.

"You'll have Jimmy Shane down here driving, J. Micheal Kelly driving, Jeff Bernard," Culver told us.

The Richland Regatta will hold 20 races a day starting Friday at 10 AM. Races will be held all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday until about 5 PM each day. The best news is, the whole event is free to the public!

"It's going to be neck and neck racing," Culver said. "This is way different because it's a shorter course of course."

Organizers of the Regatta know they can't match the excitement and crowd of Water Follies. Their goal is simply to provide a second, fun racing experience for our area.

"It's just a great place to race," Culver said. "The whole park is up on a hill. There's not a bad place to stand here and watch a race at all. I think it's going to be a great event and we look forward to do this year after year."

Parking is expected to be tight for the thousands of spectators so arrive early to get a good spot.

Just like we're your station to watch for Water Follies, we're also the station to watch for the Richland Regatta. In fact, we'll be live streaming the races from 2 to 5 every night, Friday, Saturday and Sunday on our website, nbcrightnow.com

http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/32107482/richland-regatta-boat-races-start-this-friday-at-howard-amon-park

Ratickle
06-03-2016, 09:27 PM
I used to live close to there.

Serious News
06-06-2016, 12:59 AM
RICHLAND REGATTA: The family behind it all, the race and the organization
Posted: Jun 04, 2016 10:41 PM EDT
Posted by Morgan Ashley

"He (John's son) grew up doing it, his dad grew up doing it. Grew up watching him. So, he just bought his first boat himself and started from there. It's just a family event," Tori Culver explained about her husband Josh.

RICHLAND, WA- The Richland Regatta is truly a family affair. The Culver family races on the water, not one but two boats.

"We bought a new boat last year and didn't sell the old one. So, we've got them both down here and it was so great to sit here and watch those things come around the corner side by side. Being the owner of two boats, this is a race that we help do," explained John Culver. Help, does not begin to explain how much John puts into the race. John Culver organized the entire event itself and has been racing 1 liters for five years.

"We've all taken time off work, everybody you see here probably has a job on Friday but, yet, they are here, working for us. They're volunteering," Culver said.

Culver racing is not just helping challenge other one liters on the water, "I am glad we are bringing the region 10 level to the Tri-Cities. It will just make the boat racing here even better," Culver adds.

Organizing volunteers rescuers, maintenance, food, sponsors and everything else in between, Mr. Culver has 25 years of experience with the Tri-Cities Water Follies.

"Oh, I'm very proud. My wife was standing next to me on the last lap there and a couple times she grabbed my arm as the boat comes flying around the corner," Culver says as he watches his 26-year-old son and his best friend do something he has loved while growing up.

"He (John's son) grew up doing it, his dad grew up doing it. Grew up watching him. So, he just bought his first boat himself and started from there. It's just a family event," Tori Culver explained about her husband Josh.

http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/32146582/richland-regatta-the-family-behind-it-all-the-race-and-the-organization