PDA

View Full Version : Riverbration boat race that started in the 1950s set to return to Allegheny River

Serious News
01-04-2016, 11:58 AM
By Brigid Beatty

It's been around two decades since boats last roared along the Allegheny River competing against one another in a Kittanning racing event.

But in August, the three-day Riverbration boat race that first began in the 1950s is set to return.

The 2016 Riverbration scheduled for Aug. 19, 20 and 21 is being organized by Kittanning Hose Co. 1 and the Alle Kiski Strong Chamber of Commerce. It will be an American Powerboat-sanctioned event hosted by the Three Rivers Outboard Racing Association and held at Kittanning Riverfront Park.

“It took us 20 years,” said Lynda Pozzuto, vice president of events with Alle Kiski Strong. “We are so thrilled it's coming back.”

She has memories of coming to Kittanning to watch the last event.

“Thousands of people came. I remember the roar of the boats and the excitement of the crowd,” she said.

Kevin Kline, Kittanning Hose Co. 1 assistant chief, also attended the last Kittanning boat race.

“I remember the wall-to-wall people and the roar of engines,” Kline said. “This will be a huge draw for the town.”

Riverbration will offer three racing categories: juniors, hydroplanes, and runabouts.

The junior category is for kids ages 9 through 16 operating crafts with restricted horsepower. Hydroplanes trap air to make them run faster and runabouts are a modified and distant cousin of a pleasure boat.

Jeff Williams of Manor Township has been boat racing for the past 35 years and intends to race during the August event. He said the course will be approximately ¾ of a mile with top speeds expected to be within the 80 to 85 mph range.

Racers from surrounding states are expected to compete.

“I'll be there if the good Lord let's me,” he said.

He planned to meet up with organizers at the Riverfront Park recently to give his modified runabout a test run on the water.

“It's fun, that's why we do it,” Williams said. “I have high hopes we'll get a nice group (in August).”

Chuck Nicely grew up boating along the Allegheny and is excited about the prospect of once more seeing boat racing within sight of his Applewold home.

He is a member of an antique boat club and has several antique boats that include a couple of Chris-Crafts and a Gar Wood. Nicely is working with the Riverbration organizers to possibly include an antique boat parade as part of the three-day event lineup.

Other plans in the works include live entertainment during all three evenings and attracting enough food and merchandise vendors to fill the entire park. But sponsors and donors are needed to help make the event possible and to cover expenses for bringing in engine inspectors, river rescue and security teams, among other things, Pozzuto said.

“It's very expensive to bring races in,” she said. “Right now we need funding. We're not looking to make a profit — we're just looking to make it happen.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/armstrong/9313543-74/riverbration-boat-racing#ixzz3wI9i8XPm