PDA

View Full Version : Legendary power boat racers to return to Bristol docks

Serious News
06-04-2015, 09:53 AM
By The Bristol Post
Posted: June 04, 2015

IF you go down to Bristol's Harbourside today, you'll see families strolling, enjoying a bit of peace close to the city centre - but it wasn't always the case.

For many years, the Floating Harbour was the scene of high-speed drama as powerful, expensive boats sped round the narrow turns in front of tens of thousands watching from the side lines.

And if it wasn't for the power boat racers, who drew huge crowds to the area, it's likely Bristol's harbourside wouldn't be as it is today.

It has been 25 years since the last Formula 1 Boats raced around the docks, and this weekend some of the racers will return to the area to mark the occasion.

On Saturday, drivers from around the world, champions, sponsors, organisers, rescue crews and safety

personnel are all returning to Bristol to celebrate the event and the competitors that

risked their lives in pursuit of victory in the 19 years of races. Among those returning will be American driver Billy Seebold - a multi-winner of Bristol Races

and the famous Duke of York Trophy.

And Steve Kerton, who holds the record for the fastest average speed ever achieved in the race - 100.06mph - is one of those behind organising the celebrations.

"It was such an important event for so many people, it meant so much to all the racers that we thought we couldn't let this occasion pass without doing something to mark it," Steve said.

"At first we were planing on returning to Bristol for a dinner, but as more and more people heard about it, they wanted to come. We have people coming from America, Asia, and all over Europe."

Steve, who lives in Peterborough, returned to Bristol for the first time since the last race in 1990 to plan the event.

He said: "I saw what the city has done with the docks, and what a pleasant place it is now and I felt very emotional to have been part of something that helped save the area. At the time of the early races, there were plans to fill the docks in. I can't wait for everyone to arrive so I can show them. I'm immensely excited."

At its peak, around 250,000 people turned out to see speeds in excess of 125mph regularly achieved on the notorious and world famous circuit. Drivers were in pursuit of

World Series championship points and the world famous Duke of York Trophy - but not without

risk and danger on every inch of the two-mile circuit.

Drivers came from all over the world to compete annually

from 1972 until the last Grand Prix in 1990. The circuit ran from the Prince Street Bridge at the east end of the Dock, passing within inches of the solid

granite walls to the west end of the Dock and the very fast Cumberland Basin hairpin turn.

This weekend's celebrations will be officially launched with a welcome reception from the Lord Mayor at 2.30pm at the ss Great Britain.

Steve added: "It's very special to come back to Bristol. The Grand Prix was the best event in the world, and the highlight of many of our careers.

"I think it's going to be a wonderful celebration and a very emotional event for us all."

Read more:[/B] http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/25-years-Legendary-power-boat-racers-return/story-26630509-detail/story.html#ixzz3c6L8cNj9

Ratickle
06-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Too bad they couldn't at least put on a demo race.