PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber

glassdave
12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Just thought I'd put up some pics of a project i did for a customer for a one off prototype car he is building. Made a set of molds for some carbon fiber body panels. Cant show to much right now at the request of the owner but heres some of a dash pod i did.

1 started out with a raw block of 8lb poly foam and had the plug CnC cut

2 developing a cut path for one of the fenders

3 cutting

glassdave
12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
there was actually four pieces to the body but i can show the other three just yet (I'll see what i can do . . . this thing is pretty cool)

1 after the foam pieces are faired and buffed they are given a coat of tooling gel

2 This was a simple small mold so i chose to back it up with several layers of mat/1808 with a 2mm core mat to stiffen it up.

3 pulled nice, now it just need the flange prepped a light sanding and buffing

glassdave
12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
pulled a black carbon piece. This is a raw piece right out of the mold, came out good just needs the bagging flange removed a light sanding and polished to perfect.

I will see if i can post pics of the body, looks kinda like a 32 Ford :cool:

glassdave
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
suppose i can put this one up. its one of the larger pieces being cut. The main body . . . you get the gist :D

have a few other pics to put up later :cool:

Offshore Ginger
12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Dave i always like C N C $HIT , i have a friend who just purchased a C N C machine for building plugs and man talk about big buck , old style is so very labor intensive . l@@king g@@d :)

Steve 1
12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Very nice Dave

jet
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
looking goood

Sydwayz
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
That's nice to see that you can do that stuff. I live in VA and we can't use Radar Detectors here. However, I'd sure like to have a nice stealth Valentine1 installation. I'll keep this in mine as a nice pod like this could be made to look like anything.

RichL
12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Sure is a lot different from the plugs and molds we built in the 70's.

MANITIE
12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Cool project Dave....keep the pics coming....

skaterdave
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
:boxing_smiley:hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dave
hea what kinda of carbon are you using. is that a structural piece and if so how many layers or total oz weight?

glassdave
12-23-2008, 11:08 PM
:boxing_smiley:hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dave
hea what kinda of carbon are you using. is that a structural piece and if so how many layers or total oz weight?

Hey Dave! Hows it going! Hope your get'in ready for another season of breaking boat parts :D

Actually this is a non structural piece. Its done with a clear polyester gelcoat and a 5.7 oz 2x2 carbon fiber fabric with 2 layers of 1808. I use a clear Silmar resin and bag it all together. Looks great and is pretty easy to knock out and work with. I got this really cool knife to pry it out of the mold with, i think i bent it last time though :rofl::D

Ratickle
12-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Dave! Hows it going! Hope your get'in ready for another season of breaking boat parts :D

Actually this is a non structural piece. Its done with a clear polyester gelcoat and a 5.7 oz 2x2 carbon fiber fabric with 2 layers of 1808. I use a clear Silmar resin and bag it all together. Looks great and is pretty easy to knock out and work with. I got this really cool knife to pry it out of the mold with, i think i bent it last time though :rofl::D

What's 1808? When we built our RC trials hulls, we used Kevlar as the backup to the carbon to keep it from being too brittle.

glassdave
12-24-2008, 09:17 AM
1808 is an 18 oz bi ax fabric with a 3/4 oz mat stiched to it. Its actually a bit of overkill for this part 1208 would have been perfect.

MikeyFIN
12-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Dave i always like C N C $HIT , i have a friend who just purchased a C N C machine for building plugs and man talk about big buck , old style is so very labor intensive . l@@king g@@d :)

Great work there Dave and nice to see a former colleage.
Me too used to be a machinist and a CNC operator before. Lastly build molds and prototypes for Nokia among others out of aluminum.
The money just wasn´t there unless you have a shop so I went trucking long haul.

h2oboy
12-24-2008, 05:24 PM
That's awesome - I used to program and run CNC's at tool shops. Mainly die cast tooling, but an occasional MIM (powdered metal injection), or plastic mold.

cosmic12
12-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Thats just to cool, But we need to see the car or whatever it is. PPPPPPPlease?????

glassdave
06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Thats just to cool, But we need to see the car or whatever it is. PPPPPPPlease?????

ok . . . I can post pics now. Mine is being built with a stainless steel frame. Wonder if i could talk CMI into tossing it in their polishing bin thingie :D:cool:

Ratickle
06-18-2009, 07:05 AM
ok . . . I can post pics now. Mine is being built with a stainless steel frame. Wonder if i could talk CMI into tossing it in their polishing bin thingie :D:cool:

Sweet......., weird too in a good sort of odd way.....:sifone:

You sure that's a car??????:)

Bobcat
06-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I like it ! keep us in the loop!

RichL
06-18-2009, 01:02 PM
WOW!

Very interesting.

Perlmudder
06-18-2009, 01:19 PM
thats so cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

glassdave
06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
its definitely pretty cool. I just bought a fuel injected Vette small block for mine, have to go get it in Allentown PA. Anybody come'in this way from out there :D

heres a few more pics while under construction. The seat is bad azz and is made from a stingray hide/skin (hell i dont know what ya call it). The variations in color for the flames are done with the depth of the cut. It was done by a guy named Alligator Bob and was $3500 . . . . uhhh . . . mine is plain 'ol leather :D

Geronimo36
06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Cool project Dave!!! That is one unique ride!

Bobcat
06-18-2009, 03:00 PM
is it getting fenders ,or do you just let the water fly! ?

glassdave
06-18-2009, 03:20 PM
is it getting fenders ,or do you just let the water fly! ?

Yes i did carbon fiber fenders as well but it looks better without them. There just not in the pic. Besides i am pretty sure if you get caught in the rain fenders aint gonna do ya much good :sifone:

RichL
06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
It's been too long since I read the rules here in OH, but assuming you license it, will it be as a car or motorcycle?

Wahoo 214
06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I would guess it would need to be an "assembled car" (Kit Car) in michigan. That way it doesnt need all the safety testing.

glassdave
06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
yep, like all the other cool stuff they dont think you should have. That issues has been resolved. There several other states that will allow it to be titled and registered. Believe me i beat the builder up pretty good on this subject and several others but pretty much all that has been worked out but i cant remember what they classify it as. I'll find out and post it.