PDA

View Full Version : Dave Villwock to return to the cockpit

Serious News
07-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Dave Villwock, the winningest driver in Unlimited hydroplane racing, is returning to the cockpit.

Villwock, who last raced in January 2013, will drive the Beacon Plumbing at the Columbia Cup in Tri-Cities next week. Scott Liddycoat was initially hired to drive that boat but will now serve as back-up driver.

"A lot of people have asked me how it made sense to have the best driver in the history of the sport as a backup driver. Why not put him in the boat?" Team owner Billy Schumacher said in a release. "One of those people was our sponsor, Bill Cahill of Beacon Plumbing. So we approached Dave with the idea of returning to driving and we are very happy that he is willing. We have made dramatic changes to the boat and having Dave experience the boat ride will speed up the tuning process."

Villwock won a record 67 races between 1992 and 2012 while driving the Coors' Dry, PICO American Dream, Miss Budweiser and Miss Elam Plus/Spirit of Qatar. His last win was nearly two years ago to the day when he steered the Spirit of Qatar to his 10th APBA Gold Cup win, the second-most in history.

His last Unlimited race as a driver in January 2013 was one he'd rather forget. He was disqualified in one heat at the UIM World Championship in Doha, Qatar when he intentionally took out seven course buoys in an attempt to get the race halted. Later, his boat took a big hop and severed its fuel lines causing a fire that destroyed the boat.

In May of last year Villwock officially announced his retirement from driving and joined Schumacher Racing as team manager. He spent this offseason rebuilding the team's four-year-old boat in order to correct design flaws.

"We will really be developing a new boat with all the changes we made and this should allow us to get it up to speed as quickly as possible," Villwock said. "We think we have it pretty close (to the boats he has driven previously). There are some differences and some things that will need tweaking once we have seen it on the water, but we think we are going the right direction with the boat."

Liddycoat, who has one career win in the Unlimiteds, was hired by Shumacher last November to replace J. Michael Kelly who had left to take the seat with the Graham Trucking. According to the team, Liddycoat will get a chance to drive the boat at Tri-Cities in order to keep his unlimited license.

Villwock's return may be only a two-race deal. Schumacher has been in talks with sponsor Cahill to sell the boat to him. Right now, Shumacher's plans do not extend beyond the Seattle race in the first weekend in August.

"It's no secret that Bill (Cahill) has wanted to become an owner in the sport and it's something we have talked about for a long time," Schumacher said. "He has loved Unlimited hydroplane racing all his life and it makes a lot of sense for him to become an owner. I think he'll make a great one. We are moving things in that direction and the time for the change is getting closer."

http://madisoncourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=18&SubSectionID=289&ArticleID=84607

Ratickle
07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm a little bit surprised. I didn't think they'd ever give him his license back after what he pulled in Qatar last year......

Still not sure how he missed the eighth buoy.......:sifone:

Ratickle
07-18-2014, 02:43 PM
2012 Oryx Cup Heat 2A: #1 Spirit of Qatar

Dave Villwock was DQ'd from Heat 2A

http://youtu.be/dicA5ZHrJuo

Ratickle
07-19-2014, 02:43 PM
It was really interesting because during the next race Dave's boat broke the motor mounts loose and caught on fire. Think it had anything to do with running over 7 race pillows??????

http://youtu.be/j3HXg5W-gpI

Serious News
07-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Villwock vilified by other H1 drivers

BY JEFF MORROW, TRI-CITY HERALD
July 27, 2014

Dave Villwock may have the most career victories of any unlimited hydroplane driver with 67.

But he can be a very polarizing figure too.

There is even a Twitter account called Darth Villwock.

People up and down the Lampson Pits shoreline were definitely talking about him on Sunday.

“I imagine they have been,” said Villwock, who was driving for the U-37 Cost Less Carpet presents Beacon Plumbing.

It started in heat 2B.

Villwock was leading in lane 2, ahead of Jeff Bernard in the U-17 Our Gang Racing in lane 1 and Jon Zimmerman in the U-9 Les Schwab Tires-Team RedDot in lane 3, as the trio headed into the east end turn of the course.

At that moment, Villwock had the required seven-boat lead when he went to the apex of the turn.

Bernard slid out of his lane, crossed through the skid fin wake of Villwock’s, and kept going out until he hit the roostertail of Zimmerman’s.

The water lifted the U-17 up into the air, sideways, and the boat landed hard on the right sponson.

It stopped the race, but Bernard was OK.

It caused enough damage for U-17 team owner Nate Brown to withdraw from the Columbia Cup.

But even though Bernard and Brown say what Villwock did was legal, neither of them were happy with him in what many racers considered a volation of an unwritten racing rule.

“The 37 had a boat length that was legal, but it didn’t need to be done the way it was,” said Bernard. “He had almost a full roostertail lead. It was legal, but he went straight to the pin. When you’re racing someone, and you have them covered, you don’t need to do that to help save other teams’ equipment. We weren’t a factor at that point.

“It’s an unfortunate situation that didn’t need to happen,” said Bernard. “I forgot who was driving the boat. I’m kind of used to it. But that’s why no one likes him.”

H1 officials reviewed the video, and they ruled that there was room in the turn for Bernard.

Villwock fired back.

“We had a little meeting,” said Villwock. “I said ‘Do you want to make it 10 boat lengths?’ I tried to leave him room. This is the same guy a few years ago in Doha that turned into my roostertail and it rolled the boat over. Then he blamed me for that.”

Brown estimated the damage at $50,000.

“That’s all on Villwock,” he said. “But I’m not mad at him. It was legal. But his narcissistic personality won’t allow him to be wrong. It’ll never be his fault. He doesn’t give a s--- about anybody else on the race course, and you can quote me.”

Later in the day, in heat 3B, Villwock lost control of the boat on the first lap from the inside lane.

His boat hit Jimmy Shane’s front left sponson hard, lifting the Oberto off the water before the defending national high points champion was able to regain control of the boat before if went onto the Kennewick shoreline.

“I went through the corner in lane 3, Dave was in lane 1,” said Shane. “Dave turned right in the middle of the corner and he went straight at me. I went 15 feet into the air. It was a pretty hard lick.”

It took a 4-foot chunk out of the boat.

“He tried to talk to me,” Shane said. “But I didn’t want him saying anything. That’s two incidents in one day.”

Villwock was automatically disqualified from the heat, and the team was docked 150 points, which put them out of the finals.

Video showed that Villwock had clipped a bouy with the back of his boat, and then he said he lost something off the boat.

“The right rear shoe came off,” Villwock said. “It came out and the boat just turned right. I thought the skid fin fell off.”

Villwock said it wasn’t intentional. And the move would seem silly for someone who put too much time into the boat in the offseason.

“Why take myself out of a race?” he said. “Something fell off.”

It was enough that some other race team members were yelling at H1 officials in the pits, complaining about Villwock.

And a number of drivers were meeting after the second incident to discuss the 60-year-old veteran.

One owner said the drivers were discussing what they wanted to do at Seafair if Villwock was going to drive.

But when Kip Brown was asked about those discussions, he replied with what many people think about what goes on at the race course and in the pits.

“Drama,” Brown replied. “It’s boat racing drama.”

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2014/07/27/3081568/villwock-vilified-by-other-h1.html?sp=/99/995/1289/#storylink=cpy

Serious News
07-30-2014, 11:03 PM
http://youtu.be/xbIAMRmdu8E

Ratickle
07-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Interesting Drama. Reminds me of offshore.....:)

Serious News
08-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Dave Villwock suspended for rest of Seafair after collision

A week after Dave Villwock and the Beacon Plumbing boat collided with Jimmy Shane and the Oberto boat in the Tri-Cities Columbia Cup, they did it again at Seafair on Saturday.

By Ashley Scoby
Seattle Times staff reporter

There was blood, a weekend suspension and plenty of angry words. In essence, it was just another hydroplane racing weekend on the H1 Unlimited circuit.

A week after Dave Villwock and the Beacon Plumbing boat collided with Jimmy Shane and the U-6 Oberto boat in the Tri-Cities Columbia Cup, they did it again. This time, though, Villwock faced heavier consequences.

During the lead-up to the start of Saturday’s 1B heat, Shane was making a move across the course, curving toward an inside lane on the way to the start line. Villwock cut across Shane’s rooster tail and clipped the side of Shane’s boat in an effort to beat him inside.

Shane was able to maneuver to the start line after the collision and eventually finish third in the heat. But Villwock spun out, stalled in the water for several moments and got to the start line far later than everyone else. He and the U-37 finished last in the heat, but the boat was disqualified for Villwock’s move on Shane’s boat. Villwock was suspended for the rest of the weekend and for the Bayfair race in Mission Bay, Calif., on Sept. 12-14 because he has accumulated two category-5 penalties this season.

Villwock broke his nose in the collision, according to one of his team officials. As Villwock was in his trailer getting treated, reporters were forced out of the area by his team members. As he was leaving the pit area a couple of hours later, however, Villwock said the situation with Shane and his subsequent suspension were a “sad state of affairs.”

“The starter boat is supposed to yield to the inside boat, in my opinion,” he said.

According to Shane, the Oberto boat had “two or three” holes in it after the collision.

“The last two events, we’ve had numerous incidents with the same boat (the U-37),” Shane said. “It is an issue.”

According to head referee Brian Hajny, Villwock had been warned before the weekend began to not have any incidents.

Although the Beacon Plumbing boat would have been eligible for further competition with another driver behind the wheel, it was forced to withdraw because of the damage to the boat.

The day’s drama overshadowed a strong performance from J. Michael Kelly in the Graham Trucking boat, which won the 1B heat.

“My whole strategy was beat the 6 and only focus on the 6,” Kelly said. “We basically did exactly what we wanted to do – get the Oberto stuck up on the outside and just try to outrun him.”

Because of the Oberto’s collision with Villwock in the U-37, the U-96 Spirit of Qatar was able to take advantage and finish second in the heat.

But Kelly’s focus on the Oberto highlighted the growing rivalry between him and Shane, the series points leader.

“It seems like every time we draw each other in a heat, or any time we run against each other, it’s basically a final, at least for me because I have to go out there and try to beat him and collect points,” Kelly said.

In the 1A heat, the U-9 Les Schwab Tires-Team RedDOT boat won cleanly with a 133.215 mph average. The 21 Fox Plumbing and Heating, driven by Jeff Bernard, narrowly beat out the U-7 Graham Trucking II for second place.

Four more heats on Sunday will determine which six boats will race in the final. The Oberto boat was the top qualifier on Friday, but lost ground after its third-place heat finish.

Heading into Sunday’s heats, the U-9 Les Schwab Tires-Team RedDOT is the points leader (480), after a first-place heat finish on Saturday and a second-place qualifying time on Friday. Kelly is 10 points behind, at 470; Kip Brown and the Spirit of Qatar have 360 points, the 21 Fox Plumbing and Heating have 350; and Shane and the Oberto round out the top five at 325 points.

Heats will begin on Sunday at 10:10 a.m. The final will be at 4:45 p.m.

Serious News
08-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Villwock’s comeback attempt raises controversy

SEATTLE — The mere mention of his name evokes irritation among rivals.

That never has changed for 1972 South Kitsap graduate Dave Villwock.

The winningest driver in the history of unlimited hydroplane racing came out of retirement to race Sunday in the Columbia Cup in the Tri-Cities. And, predictably, controversy followed.

According to the Tri-City Herald, Villwock had the required seven-boat lead in lane 2 of heat 2B of that race when he went into the apex of the turn. Jeff Bernard in the U-17 Our Gang Racing then slid out of lane 1, crossed through the skid fin of Villwock’s, and traveled until he hit the roostertail of U-9 Les Schwab Tires-Team RedDot driver Jon Zimmerman.

The water lifted the U-17 into the air before it landed on the right sponson. While Bernard was not injured, the U-17 was damaged enough that team owner Nate Brown had to withdraw from the Columbia Cup and Seafair.

While the move was legal — H1 officials reviewed the video and determined there was room for Bernard in the turn — both he and Brown were angry with a move they believe was not necessary.

“It’s an unfortunate situation that didn’t need to happen,” Bernard told the Herald. “I forgot who was driving the boat. I’m kind of used to it. But that’s why no one likes him.”

Chip Hanauer, who serves as an analyst for KIRO-TV during Seafair, said there was no question which driver was at fault in the Tri-Cities.

“If it wasn’t Dave’s fault, I don’t know whose it was,” Hanauer said. “Dave’s mistake started the incident.”

Villwock, who was not present for Tuesday’s Seafair media day at Seattle Center, later lost control of his hull during the first lap of heat 3B. According to the Herald, his boat hit Jimmy Shane’s left sponson hard, lifting the defending national high points champion into the air before he regained control. Villwock automatically was disqualified from the heat and docked 150 points, which put him out of the finals.

“He tried to talk to me,” Shane told the Herald. “But I didn’t want him saying anything. That’s two incidents in one day.”

Hanauer said Villwock faces a difficult adjustment period. Hanauer still drives hydroplanes on occasion — he will showcase the restored Atlas Van Lines hull that has not been on the water since legendary driver Bill Muncey was killed while racing it in 1981 in Acapulco, Mexico — but he has not raced competitively since 1999. While Hanauer took a pair of sabbaticals from racing hydroplanes during his career, he believes there is an important distinction between his comebacks and the one Villwock is attempting.

“I think I was 44 years old when I came out,” Hanauer said. “He’s coming out at 60. It doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.”

Villwock reenters the circuit with 67 career wins. Muncey (62) and Hanauer (61) follow him on that list. Villwock has won Seafair a record 10 times, but none since 2009. And Shane now dominates unlimited hydroplane racing. His Oberto boat is first with 4,769 season high points entering Seafair. But J. Michael Kelly, whose U-1 Graham Trucking hull is third with 3,626 high points, said discounting Villwock would be a mistake.

“The guy’s record speaks for itself,” said Kelly, adding that he drove Villwock’s boat last year. “There’s a lot of history there.”

Brown, 55, is not as confident about Villwock’s comeback prospects.

“We can all go out there and run a boat around circles,” said Brown, who plans to retire after racing at Seafair. “But the timing, unfortunately, does change and that’s why I pulled myself out of the cockpit. Dave’s a hard-charger and he can run fast, but he’s more of an engineer than he is as a driver. He’s got a lot of horsepower now for whatever he’s doing — it puts him up there with the guys — and his timing might not be right.

“I think he’s pushing a little hard. He needs to stand back and let the race come to him.”

Hanauer said the circuit is different than the one Villwock left after his Spirit of Qatar boat caught fire in January 2013 in Doha, Qatar.

“There’s more talent than I’ve ever seen in the sport,” he said. “The sport has always had one or two, maybe three competitive guys at a time.”

Villwock’s last win came when he captured his fifth consecutive Gold Cup in July 2012 along the Detroit River and Hanauer noted that his last two races did not end well.

“In Qatar, he purposely came out and ran over all of the bowies because he was angry,” he said. “Last week, he had a problem running into the Oberto boat. He needs to get a good one underneath him.”

Brown believes the 2013 race was the impetus for Villwock’s return.

“Look what he did in Qatar,” he said. ”You don’t want to leave the sport doing that.”

But Hanauer has a different perspective. While Villwock enjoys working on boats — his mother used to drive him down to the foot ferry, where he would ride to Bremerton to help his uncle, Al Villwock, with his 135 hydroplane — serving as a crew manager was not enough to fulfill him.

“I just think racing is really deep in the marrow of his bones,” Hanauer said. “I think it would be tough for him to be away from racing.”

CHRIS CHANCELLOR, Port Orchard Independent Staff Writer
cchancellor@portorchardindependent.com or (360) 876-4414

Serious News
08-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Video of last incident in Seattle

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/online/video-dave-villwock-suspended-after-race/vCmKz8/

Serious News
08-13-2014, 11:11 AM
http://youtu.be/YWXpf5woi1I

Serious News
08-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Miscreants Have Recently Been Escaping Scrutiny, Until Now!

Current events have been intense. What with wars, suicide and autonomy getting all of our attention, we have forgotten about folks out there whose bad antics always make us smile.

"Super Dave" gets another ride, crashes into Jimmy Shane. Twice!

"Super Dave" Villwock is unlimited hydroplane racing's winningest driver. Dave Villwock was forced to leave the sport in 2012 when he intentionally ran into a course marker while angry over a minor rules dust up. The only problem was that there were competitors still on the course. To make things worse, Super Dave was driving for the host Spirit of Qatar in Doha, Qatar. The incident was a major embarrassment for the Qatari people.

Super Dave got a second chance recently and immediately took aim at Jimmy Shane. Shane is the photogenic young heir apparent to Bill Muncey. Muncey is generally regarded as the greatest unlimited racer in the history of the sport.

Super Dave managed to hit Shane in successive races. The second collision resulted in a broken nose for Super Dave. It is a good thing for Shane that the collision broke Villwock's nose. Otherwise, Jimmy would have had to break Super Dave"s nose himself.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/8/18/5999955/miscreants-have-recently-been-escaping-scrutiny-until-now

Serious News
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
A compilation of Dave Villwock's controversies and best excuses in his H1 Unlimited career.

http://youtu.be/JyUVZBhpsWA

Ratickle
09-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Wow, taking some serious heat......

Serious News
09-04-2014, 06:39 PM
From when he hit the buoys.

Revoke Dave Villwock's License
Before I start this, it's no secret that I'm an Oberto-Madison fan, being born and raised in Madison will do that to a person. With that said, however, I wold like to think that I would feel this way no matter what driver acted the way Villwock did on the race course last weekend. I'm sure by now we've all seen the video of heat 2A. The tailfin video of the Qatar boat is pretty damning evidence: not only did Villwock hit multiple buoys, he did it intentionally. A number of times it's pretty clear that Villwock is adjusting his path so that he'll hit the buoys head on. Now, I realize I'm not judge and jury when it comes to on water matters in H1 but simply from a fan's perspective I think that a simple disqualification does not fit the crime. What happens if Villwock loses his cool on the race course again? What happens if he gets upset at another driver? This also sets a dangerous precedent: what happens if another driver suddenly decides he can throw a similar fit on the course, will he get off with the same proverbial slap on the wrist? The whole reason that H1 (and nearly every other APBA class for that matter) has a licensing process is so that drivers can prove that they can safely handle a boat on the course and not put the other drivers, the people in the patrol boats, the fans on the shoreline, and yes the equipment owned by said powerboat class at risk. By his actions on the racecourse this weekend, Villwock showed he does not take this responsibility seriously. So what should be done? If a driver on the road acts recklessly he or she loses his or her license. A similar action should be taken. Villwock's unlimited hydroplane license should be suspended for a while. Now just to be clear I'm not calling for a lifetime ban or anything like that. Once he shows that he's once again able to take the responsibility of handling a boat that can hit speeds of close to 210 mph without throwing a tantrum on the course, he can go through the qualification process that a rookie driver does, then hopefully he can rejoin the circut as a responsible driver.

http://www.hydropage.com/hpforum/showthread.php?751-Revoke-Dave-Villwock-s-License