View Full Version : Super Boat Signs 5-Year Deal With Key West

Serious News
07-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Key West, Fla. (July 14th, 2014) – The Key West City Commission reached a unanimous agreement to keep Super Boat International in Key West for a minimum of the next 5 years. This agreement was reached earlier this month. Super Boat International (SBI) is the largest sanctioning body of professional offshore powerboat racing in North America.

President of SBI, John Carbonell, recently commented, “The city of Key West has committed to work with us to keep SBI and offshore racing here for at least the next 5 years. The economic impact is very significant for our community here and I’m proud to see how everyone is working together. We are really looking forward to this year’s event in November.”

“If you look at the statistics, there are two large events in Key West, one being the Super Boat World Championship. We bring in, documented, over $30 million from this event, which, if you add in the taxes and revenue that’s brought in, it’s huge, “ comments Larry Bleil, president of the Conch Republic Powerboat Racing Association.

In the agreement, the city would be responsible for about 55 percent of costs for security, police, emergency personnel, cleanup and other services. SBI would reimburse the city for the remaining 45 percent.

Current Mayor of Key West, Craig Cates, commented, “It sells out all the hotel rooms, the charter boats. Arguing about those few dollars is just unbelievable.”This is in reference to one outspoken resident and their opposition to the funding.

Construction is to start in the Truman Waterfront area. Cates comments, “We’re going to begin construction on that park [at the Truman Waterfront where the race boats are staged] and they wanted to make sure that we would accommodate them,” he said. “We want them back, and we will make the accommodations they need.”

Carbonell and his entire team are already working hard in preparation for the upcoming 34th Annual Key West World Championship Event this November 2nd – 9th.