PDA

View Full Version : Miss Madison jumps start, loses in Madison Regatta

Serious News
07-07-2014, 07:40 AM
MADISON, Ind. – Even in hydroplane racing, it's a game of inches.

Jimmy Shane cruised all weekend long in the Oh Boy! Oberto Miss Madison on the Ohio River in the 64th annual Madison Regatta, including in Sunday's final for the Governor's Cup. Then the unexpected happened.

On the third lap of the five-lap final race, Shane found out he had jumped the start and was handed a one-lap penalty. With that penalty, he couldn't win the race.

The penalty gave the Governor's Cup to J. Michael Kelly in the Graham Trucking U-1 — the boat Shane drove to the championship last season, but left to join the Miss Madison racing team this year.

"It's disappointing to the fans and to the team," Shane said. "This race means so much to the community. I got a little ahead of myself on the start. I should've feathered it a little bit."

Shane said his crew told him on the radio he jumped the start. "I was heartbroken, especially after getting the inside lane," he said. "I knew I had the race won.

"I thought I was right there at the start," said the personable 28-year-old Shane, driving the Miss Madison boat for the first time in the H1 Unlimited Hydroplane series season opener. "Apparently I was a foot over the line. I should've played it a little safer, but I was going for the win. Anybody who drives for this team is going for the win."

Still, Shane said there is a bright side as the series continues in Detroit next weekend.

Shane and Miss Madison leave the Ohio River with the most points — 1,300 — after winning in qualifying and three heats.

"We had a great weekend," Shane said. "The boat is running unbelievably well. I'm just sorry we couldn't win today."

After the race while talking to the fans on the public address system, he promised to come back and win the Madison Regatta in 2015. "It will happen," he said.

Meanwhile, Kelly won for the first time since 2009, and won while battling electrical issues.

After winning his first two heats comfortably, Kelly couldn't get his boat on the water for the third heat for an anticipated matchup with Miss Madison.

After the crew worked on the Graham Trucking boat, it came out for the final.

"We just stuck to our game plan," Kelly said. "We weren't sure we would even make the final.

"It's a much needed win," said Kelly. "It's been awhile."

Kelly said he knows Shane didn't want to lose to his former team.

"It really worked out for the best for both of us," Kelly said. "I was able to come back here (to Graham Trucking) and he was able to go where the fans absolutely love him. It was a win-win for both of us."

Disappointed with the defeat of Miss Madison, the crowd still gave Kelly a gracious round of applause.

"I hope I have some fans here," Kelly said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/2014/07/06/miss-madison-jumps-start-loses-madison-regatta/12277309/

Serious News
07-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Results for Heat Madison Final

Finish Boat Driver Avg. Speed Points
1 U-1 Graham Trucking J. Michael Kelly 129.071 400
2 U-9 Red Dot/Spirit of Qatar Jon Zimmerman 124.215 300
3 U-7 Graham Trucking II Cal Phipps 112.29 225
4 U-6 Oberto Jimmy Shane 130.168 169
DNS U-21 Go Fast, Turn Left Racing Jamie Nilsen 0 0