PDA

View Full Version : Humble Pie? Who has been humbled by Key West?

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Things happen racing in Key West. Like Murphys law, things that don't seem happen anywhere else. Some stupid spin. Maybe a swim. Some hose came lose, a bolt came out. Wrong turn. Coil took a dump. Stopped a lap early. Got a penalty.

Anyway a few come home proud and many eat some humble pie. It stays with you a long time. I know I have come home busted up before. Fortunately, I have had good days too. Sometimes racers refuse their serving and cry instead.

The record book notes the winners. Any body care to share their humble pie story?

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
A friend was running two boats, first race he was spanking everyone, all but lapped a few boats pulled in to get to the second boat. Problem was he came in one lap early. Did nine not the needed ten laps. Got his rig papered and a new nick name painted all over it in white shoe polish. Ouch, made him humble for months.

MarylandMark
12-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I was drunk and.. oh sorry- that could go wayyy off topic

Maximus
12-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Last Year. Key West. We knew we had the boat to get Bud. Bud being the professionals they are stepped up their game for the big race...checked, double and triple checked , they were prepared and and performed flawlessly. We listened to our ego and kept pounding on something that was broken. went home stuffed full of HUMBLE PIE....it was a good lesson for us. Reaffirmed racers etiquette and allowed us to dig inside and find out what we were made of.

I recommend a serving to everyone. While it's damn bitter going down after time it actually tastes good and will bring a smile to your face when looking back. It also makes the win so much sweeter.

good post Merc Man

MANITIE
12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Ken D. was good enough to jump in with me in Key West to shoot for his 1st World Championship...we won day 1 and 2 and never made it to the start on Sunday...he did a great job and the boat was running perfect all week....So close but its not over till you cross the finish line....Sorry Ken...you did a outstanding job....

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Can't tell Gino, which one of you two got humble?

THEJOKER
12-12-2008, 07:55 PM
We installed a backup MSD Box right before Key West , this was 2001. I was driving Soalrized a 30 ft Phantom and hauling azz outta control and ahead of the SVL fleet. The damn boat quits and we come off plane. We jump back in the bilge and were perplexed on what to do. We sat there a couple of minutes and Bill Park yells " the backup MSD Box , hit the switch" , boat fires and we take off. Next turn a Super Cat barrell rolls right in front of us and almost takes us out. We stop and assist and take another short break. Eventually got a win there in 2002 in a brand new 38 TS Cigarette. Love that place.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Its bad when your leading and the boat starts to slow down. In 2001 a fuel pump, the one mounted on the sea pump cost a win. Won the second race, only two that year.

Stuck on Runner up hill. I hate that place.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Worse than that is leading and blow a drive. Won the second race. A first and a second tied a first and a second. Lost the tie break on speed.

Runner up hill again in '98. Sucks

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I got a few more humble pie stories. Marks' is the best so far. Maybe someone else will share some pain.

THEJOKER
12-12-2008, 08:33 PM
We did the hurricane 2 race deal too. One year sat and watched Dave Branch sitting on a sea wall volunteer to fly anybody sitting there home in his jet. I didn't even know him that well and looked over and asked him if he would fly me home , he said sure just be at the airport in the morning.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-12-2008, 08:39 PM
David helped me with the cash to bail out my buddy at the Hurricane Offshore in
St' Pete in'98.. The weekend from hell. aside from bailing out my buddy. We put three different drivelines in the boat before the race. Ever seen a driveline swell?

MANITIE
12-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Can't tell Gino, which one of you two got humble?

That would be me.....the way the boat was running, the drives just redone and tighten all bolts check everything the boat ran 91.6 (max speed both days) and the great job Ken was doing...I felt there was nothing that would stand in our way...

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
My biggest dose of Pie came at the Worlds in Biloxi '98. I was at the awards banquet looking at my trophy when someone said he was sorry to hear what happened. I had not heard and thought he was joking. Another person came over and confirmed we were DQed
along with 3 or 4 other boats.

I was so humbled and disgusted I had to leave. I was choking on Humble Pie.

I know there are others that have been humbled. Care to share?

Gordo
12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
When you mention Key West, I think of 3 things...
Hangovers suck
Turn 2 hurts
You never get used to being a bridesmaid

AugiePensa
03-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Won The Worlds in 2005, came back in 2006, :driving:1400 miles, lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$ I didn't have, first race we finished second outta nine boats. People on the wall were waving at us coming across the finish line and it felt great UNTIL we heard a load BOOM and realized AIN'T NOBODY WAVING AT US, the port engine was on fire and blew up:puke:! Four days :party:off and 1400 miles crying :nopity:all the way back to COLD JERSEY!

phragle
03-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Key west reduced my to a crying fool, curled up in a ball on the concrete...

I was 4 years old and stepped on a big pile of red ants.... my foot was the size of one of OJ's autographed footballs...

Top Banana
04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
It was November of 1977 and when we woke up on race morning, the toilet had whitecaps.

Only Brownie could make it out with a big Magnum to the checkpoint site near Dry Tortugas....but he couldn't anchor, it was too rough.

At the end of the day, a little old lady 54 years old, humbled all of us......Betty Cook won her first World Championship and everyone else ate humble pie.

Sean Stinson
04-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Did the hurricane worlds in 2001 in F2 running 3rd behind Tres and Herbott.... beat the boat up in the rough a bit but not bad broke a drive spun the thing out sank it on the beach at the end of some street got it out spent all night in the rain putting it back together only to have the race called....but let me back up first we tested boat was good like on fire good....Got back to flush the motors and it was locked up midnight run to Innovation Marine got that done and back barely made the milling circle because no power steering stop run across street to parts house got fluid off to the races AGAIN got to mill as everybody was coming on plane.....alright here we go you could see the turn went from flat to big stay out a bit and watched everybody run into the wall zoom we go by....thats the only good luck we had we do a few laps had Turbo (Herbott) reeled in no problem Tres was about 100 yards ahead ok lets go get him boat hits a wave launches lands no steering and loopty loop here we come.....you alright??? Just give me a second was the reply....Are you alright??? Just give me a second again....well pal we dont have a second we are sinking!!! FAST!!!! Jump in plug the bellows with our uniforms they did work great!!!! Bilge pumps wont keep up as were getting towed!!! Rescue boat toss one to us to hook up.....Did you ever try to hook something up to a battery underwater....very shocking experience I am here to tell you!!! anyway back to start of story all night in the rain to have the race called because of "Michelle"....fly home fly back put boat in water just before race to find that it was pouring water in through the transom assy....We are done lets go to Ricks and drink!!!!!!!

Ratickle
04-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Bilge pumps wont keep up as were getting towed!!!Rescue boat toss one to us to hook up.....

Did you ever try to hook something up to a battery underwater....very shocking experience I am here to tell you!!!

Ahhh, that explains a lot......:sifone:

Sean Stinson
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Ahhh, that explains a lot......:sifone:

Haha I know my brain is a little short circuited from the incident it also explains the tick that i have in my neck when I am talking to someone!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-16-2009, 06:01 PM
How ate some pie this past week?

I have had mine who had the latest serving? JC???

Geronimo36
11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
JC was cut off and avoided a collission which made them flip....they were running very strong when it happened... Only humble pie they got is to put some more colors on the boat so the big guys can see them beter... First and second race they had an issue with a coil and computer and went into guardian, couldn't run over 4200 from what I'm told. My $.02...

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
How can you go swimming and not be humbled?

Were the ahead of DD when it happened?

Geronimo36
11-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Were the ahead of DD when it happened?

I think they were in 2nd, will have to double check.

So yeah, in race 1-2 DD beat them @ 4200 rpms. lol

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I wish the laps and results would get posted by SBI.

Geronimo36
11-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Just talked to Dee.

They were neck/neck for 1st place going into the pin with Simons. JC had the inside going to the pin and would have taken over 1st. Simons came inside and didn't see them and JC avoided collision and went over.

Daredevil was in dead last when it happened and broke shortly after.

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Something fishy?? How could Simmons not see them?

If they had cut me off they would have had a bunch of paint work to do.

Geronimo36
11-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Something fishy?? How could Simmons not see them?

If they had cut me off they would have had a bunch of paint work to do.

Dee said they didn't see them and also apologized. WHM hosed them down in NYC as well, same thing, said they couldn't see them.

I guess maybe cause it's a really small boat and all white, who knows? But hey, I'm not sticking up for JC I'm just passing the info along.

How can you go swimming and not be humbled?

I think maybe the fire/exposion on OTC last year may have been JC's humble pie for. He also had his fair share of humble pies in the 32'.... He would lead almost every race and then DNF...:03::kiss:

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Did Dee get pix of it?

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
WHM hosed them down in NYC as well, same thing, said they couldn't see them.

That is scary running with the Supercats
:reddevil:

By the way...I ate pie all week not being there.

Geronimo36
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Did Dee get pix of it?

I'm not sure Jimmy, she didn't mention and I didn't think to ask.

Geronimo36
11-16-2009, 06:34 PM
That is scary running with the Supercats
:reddevil:

By the way...I ate pie all week not being there.

You guys are all nutz cause I don't even have the ballz to get into a raceboat! :seeya:

And for that I eat my own humble pie!:USA:

Geronimo36
11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Did Dee get pix of it?

Only one I've seen is this but she didn't take it.

http://www.wutic.com/photos/events/boatrace/020.jpg

Great pics whoever took them!
http://www.wutic.com/photos/events/boatrace/

stevequick
11-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Can't go there for 09' yet, too painful. Let's just say we will need a few pies. How about 06' when Micossoukee and us were racing on one motor in the final and we won, but lost the World's because of 2 seconds in the 2nd race. And we laid off a bit in the second to save the motors.

Serve it up.
SQ

OldSchool
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Just talked to Dee.

They were neck/neck for 1st place going into the pin with Simons. JC had the inside going to the pin and would have taken over 1st. Simons came inside and didn't see them and JC avoided collision and went over.

Daredevil was in dead last when it happened and broke shortly after.

My liver was humbled in KW last week!!!:ack2::sifone:

I saw JC thursday night and only had the opportunity to talk with him for a few seconds. I didn't know that he was racing in that boat. We were watching the race from the sea wall @ the Westin. From our vantage point, we didn't actually see the incident happen. It looked to me like the boat got loose right past the westin where the sea wall comes in a bit towards the harbor. Many boats were getting out of shape right there. We all just assumed that the gimbal must have broke and the drive came off or something. It seemed that the thing was bobbing like a cork with only the nose sticking out in a very short amount of time! Was everyone OK health-wise?

FunHome
11-17-2009, 02:02 PM
How did the canopy hold up?? Was it hard for them to get out??

DollaBill
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
You guys are all nutz cause I don't even have the ballz to get into a raceboat! :seeya:

And for that I eat my own humble pie!:USA:

Gotta go somehow Frank :sifone:

phragle
11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Humbling for me not being there, after meeting so many here over drinks and boats during the last year.. sitting in Toledo doing homework while my friends were drinking and boating sucked.

Geronimo36
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Was everyone OK health-wise?

From what I was told everyone was ok... Dee lost her voice for a few days which seems to be a regular thing on these racing weekends....

Sent JC a text message last week with an engine question, he responded and said; "I'm racing"... I responded back and said; "That's great, I'm working." :leaving:

Sean Stinson
11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
2001 running F2 with the Formula had Tres in sites and covered outside leg took a good hop hit spun it around and ripped the drives off the transom and beached the boat to keep it up......Put it back together and splashed it boat was taking on water.....oh well thats racing!!!!!!!