PDA

View Full Version : '85 Cigarette Cat

Jammin'
12-12-2008, 09:10 AM
1985 USA Racing Split Cigarette 38

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boats___USA-Racing-Team-Wild-Cat-Cigarette-38-Rare-opportunity_W0QQitemZ170286614812QQddnZBoatsQQddiZ2831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPo wer_Motorboats?hash=item170286614812&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Gladhe8er
12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Wow, nice find but this thing needs some work! I can't believe there is no hydraulic steering.

wstultz
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Bravo 3's. Nice. And it's in Spain, shipping should be cheap.

Chris
12-12-2008, 02:46 PM
496's and Bravo 3's. I can't imagine it would come up on plane.

MerCrewser
12-12-2008, 03:05 PM
"Powered by 2 Mercury Mercruiser 496 MAG HO's attached to Mercruiser Bravo 3 driveshafts, this power boat could certainly move."

Yeah right! I think Brownie said these were dogs even with real power. Cool boat though.

Chris
12-12-2008, 03:16 PM
They were slightly slower than an early Cig 38 with equivalent power. They weighed somewhat more and experienced no lift from wing effect. Same deadrise as the Cig- same bottom, only split.

Offshore Ginger
12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey guy's i have say the boat was a slug.

Ted
12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
The boat that killed Don...

wstultz
12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
They are kick a$$ party platforms that can still eat up some rough stuff. I personally love the boats but most people don't because they are pigs. If you're looking for a 130MPH cat the Aronows are not for you. If your looking to pour margaritas at 60MPH in six foot seas, they're a perfect match. Just my opinion.

There are actually two for sale in Spain and they are almost identical......

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Aronow-Usa-Cat-39-1971209/Marbella/Spain

FastDonzi
12-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Those are Probably the only cats ever made that you didn't have to worry about flipping in a high speed turn. That was one of Dons selling points, at 60 mph you could crank the steering wheel all the way and do a perfect Doughnut. The thing hardly leaned either way. I remember when Don Brought the first one down to Cougar to launch, it had all the bulkheads and no deck.

Bobcat
12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
somebody finally bought the one in key west "none of your business" and is redoing it. I also like them .

wstultz
12-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Still kicking myself for not buying that one.:banghead:

BOJOE2
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
still kool boats

nocigarette
12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
They were slightly slower than an early Cig 38 with equivalent power. They weighed somewhat more and experienced no lift from wing effect. Same deadrise as the Cig- same bottom, only split.

Take a 38 cut it in half and glass it back together....

phragle
12-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I had a hull offered to me free, all I had to do was go to St Louis to pick it up. I turned it down when I figured out I would need 1500 sterlings to make it faster than the supernova.

Edward R. Cozzi
12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
The U.S. Customs guys loved them because they were dry and stable in rough seas. They came off their shifts in much better shape than with a conventional V-bottom. The originals had #3 SSM and 575 HP 540's. Customs left them in the water all the time and the #3's gotten eaten alive. Keith Hazell made a good living just keeping them operational.

MILD THUNDER
12-22-2008, 09:51 AM
My buddy has one. Twin 575HP motors and #3's. Boat runs mid to upper 60's. However, it is a wave crusher!

MILD THUNDER
12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Super clean boat. It was originally rigged with diesels and asd's.

Mange
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Mild Thunder,

That's a cool one. A race version:sifone:

redhotsommer
12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Art could've raced us all this summer on the way to the Chicago Scene Party in 5-7s...he'd have kicked ALL of our azzes! Thankfully, he left late!

I have a picture of Btchn' from when I was in high school...I've always thought the name fit the boat quite well.

MILD THUNDER
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Art could've raced us all this summer on the way to the Chicago Scene Party in 5-7s...he'd have kicked ALL of our azzes! Thankfully, he left late!

I have a picture of Btchn' from when I was in high school...I've always thought the name fit the boat quite well.

yes, your are correct Sir!

I left Hammond in my Formula 402, along side "Art" in his 39 cat. It was wicked rough water. I was *****foot'en the boat, trying to maintain about 30-35mph, without breaking something, and doing my best to keep up with the cat. Once we got close to our destination, Art dropped the hammer. Watching that cat get stood up on its ass a few times was just awesome, the amount of water spray from that tank busting thru 6ft+ swells was ridiculous. He has owned that boat for about 15 years, and isnt afraid to take it out in any conditions. Not a spider crack anywhere in that boat. Anywhere.

Once things settled down, we rafted up together. I was busy for about 20 minutes cleaning up debris from my cabin, that had fell, broke, etc. Climbed out of my cabin, and there was "Art", relaxing in the sun with his second beer! Sometimes having a bare cabin full of bulkheads has its advantages!

Tom A.
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I love not having a cabin!

I always liked the blue thunder boats. There is something to be said for the Aronow wave crushers.

J-Bonz
12-22-2008, 01:29 PM
yes, your are correct Sir!

I left Hammond in my Formula 402, along side "Art" in his 39 cat. It was wicked rough water. I was *****foot'en the boat, trying to maintain about 30-35mph, without breaking something, and doing my best to keep up with the cat. Once we got close to our destination, Art dropped the hammer. Watching that cat get stood up on its ass a few times was just awesome, the amount of water spray from that tank busting thru 6ft+ swells was ridiculous. He has owned that boat for about 15 years, and isnt afraid to take it out in any conditions. Not a spider crack anywhere in that boat. Anywhere.

Once things settled down, we rafted up together. I was busy for about 20 minutes cleaning up debris from my cabin, that had fell, broke, etc. Climbed out of my cabin, and there was "Art", relaxing in the sun with his second beer! Sometimes having a bare cabin full of bulkheads has its advantages!

Thanks for sharing the pics & story. That has to be the nicest one I have seen!
Jr.

wstultz
12-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree. Keep the pics & stories coming. I have not heard much about these boat except all of the negatives. I would love to hear more about how they handle.

redhotsommer
12-22-2008, 03:53 PM
I was asking Art about it this summer...he said it is hull #4 out of 12...like Joe said, he's owned the thing forever...I would imagine it's got to be one of the cleanest old boats out there...

Sea-Dated
12-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Very cool old resin buckets.

Would love to see one in person some time.

Mange
01-08-2009, 06:36 AM
My buddy has one. Twin 575HP motors and #3's. Boat runs mid to upper 60's. However, it is a wave crusher!

Could this be the same boat?:)

wstultz
01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Could this be the same boat?:)

Cool pic Mange. It definitly looks like the same boat. Where was that shot taken???

MILD THUNDER
01-19-2009, 01:28 AM
If anyone might be interested, my buddy may be selling it. As stated, its super clean, and comes with the Target Trailer.

whataworld51
01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
If anyone might be interested, my buddy may be selling it. As stated, its super clean, and comes with the Target Trailer.

Very cool, old school cat.

fast fun 2
01-24-2009, 02:24 PM
The U.S. Customs guys loved them because they were dry and stable in rough seas. They came off their shifts in much better shape than with a conventional V-bottom. The originals had #3 SSM and 575 HP 540's. Customs left them in the water all the time and the #3's gotten eaten alive. Keith Hazell made a good living just keeping them operational.

My dad was Keith's shop manager and maintained all the customs boats. Eaten alive is an understatement

T2x
01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Very cool, old school cat.

Not exactly "old school" given that it was designed and built after the Cougars, Shadows, some Conquests, and even the early 24" Skater. IMHO it had more to do with Aronow's later years' arrogance in which he took any old junk plugs laying around and put together "new" labels (Squadron, USA Racing, Aronow, etc....). and....it also showcased his complete lack of understanding and interest in the cat arena. If you really wanted to catch somebody on the high seas, the Popeye's and Maggie's Mercruiser Special Aluminum Cougars were actually designed and built before this hunk of junk. and could have eaten up any drug running hulls of the period.

The USA hull broke no evolutinary ground....much less revolutionary...... The fact that it is stable in big seas is really more of a testament to the simple fact that it was a big blob rather than anything to do with "design" ....or in this case....lack thereof. In reality it has all of the performance of a pontoon boat.

Face it....he suckered Bush Senior.....and the "Federal by God Guvmint" into buying a slow sled...... and then tried to foist the company off on the next big checkbook to come along..(The essential Aronow business plan from day one)..... Unfortunately for Big Don... in this case he simply picked the wrong checkbook.

T2x

MILD THUNDER
01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Not exactly "old school" given that it was designed and built after the Cougars, Shadows, some Conquests, and even the early 24" Skater. IMHO it had more to do with Aronow's later years' arrogance in which he took any old junk plugs laying around and put together "new" labels (Squadron, USA Racing, Aronow, etc....). and....it also showcased his complete lack of understanding and interest in the cat arena. If you really wanted to catch somebody on the high seas, the Popeye's and Maggie's Mercruiser Special Aluminum Cougars were actually designed and built before this hunk of junk. and could have eaten up any drug running hulls of the period.

The USA hull broke no evolutinary ground....much less revolutionary...... The fact that it is stable in big seas is really more of a testament to the simple fact that it was a big blob rather than anything to do with "design" ....or in this case....lack thereof. In reality it has all of the performance of a pontoon boat.

Face it....he suckered Bush Senior.....and the "Federal by God Guvmint" into buying a slow sled...... and then tried to foist the company off on the next big checkbook to come along..(The essential Aronow business plan from day one)..... Unfortunately for Big Don... in this case he simply picked the wrong checkbook.

T2x

Wow, I never thought of the cigarette 36, 38, 39, or any of the older Hulls as "junk" as you called them. There is no doubt that there were faster, better designed cats built in that era. Whatever triggered this hull to be produced, is kinda irrelevant. Having been in this hull in big water, it is incredibly stable, and in its 24 years, there is not one stress crack, or even a gelcoat crack. The few times I have seen this boat run in the water we did, there was no cougar, skater, or shadows blowing by us in 6-7ft' washing machine lake michigan water. I know that if I had pushed my 40FT heavy Formula V that day, I would have most likely busted a stringer or split a bulkhead. I dont know of too many pontoons that outride a 38 V bottom! Although they are not fast for a cat, it is comparable speed wise to a 38 Flatdeck or Mistress, which aint to bad considering its almost a 13FT wide boat!

Steve 1
01-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Wow, I never thought of the cigarette 36, 38, 39, or any of the older Hulls as "junk" as you called them. There is no doubt that there were faster, better designed cats built in that era. Whatever triggered this hull to be produced, is kinda irrelevant. Having been in this hull in big water, it is incredibly stable, and in its 24 years, there is not one stress crack, or even a gelcoat crack. The few times I have seen this boat run in the water we did, there was no cougar, skater, or shadows blowing by us in 6-7ft' washing machine lake michigan water. I know that if I had pushed my 40FT heavy Formula V that day, I would have most likely busted a stringer or split a bulkhead. I dont know of too many pontoons that outride a 38 V bottom! Although they are not fast for a cat, it is comparable speed wise to a 38 Flatdeck or Mistress, which aint to bad considering its almost a 13FT wide boat!

"Wow, I never thought of the cigarette 36, 38, 39, or any of the older Hulls as "junk" as you called them."

Where were Exactly these Boats refered too as Junk ??

wstultz
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
There is no need to get in a pi$$ing match over this hull....again. Everyone on here knows it is not a breakthrough design. In fact, we know it was designed from old molds just laying around and pieced together by the worlds best salesman. that being said, they are still a cool piece of offshore history and a great rough water party platform that I would love to have just for that reason. You guys that were around when it was first built, T2x and Steve1, know the real story on this boat. Most of us also know that it is a pig but a cool one at that. Do you guys have any stories about the boat when it first came out? Performance stories? Build Stories?

T2x
01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
There is no need to get in a pi$$ing match over this hull....again. Everyone on here knows it is not a breakthrough design. In fact, we know it was designed from old molds just laying around and pieced together by the worlds best salesman. that being said, they are still a cool piece of offshore history and a great rough water party platform that I would love to have just for that reason. You guys that were around when it was first built, T2x and Steve1, know the real story on this boat. Most of us also know that it is a pig but a cool one at that. Do you guys have any stories about the boat when it first came out? Performance stories? Build Stories?

I think I gave you the "real" story on this boat in my earlier post. As far as when it first came out for Government use...it was never taken seriously as a "high speed interdiction craft" ...simply because it couldn't successfully "interdict". The meer fact that a hull has no stress cracks means solid construction and, in this case, little else. In actuality after the government backed out of the deal.....nobody else wanted any....

To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them.

T2x

wstultz
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your insight.

h2oMag
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Quote: [To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them]

They were called Active, and later Image cats. I believe Image built all the cats for Baja. I was with the Motor City Magic team in 1986 & 87 a Image cat, and at the 1987 worlds we put Baja sickers on the boat.

T2x
01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Quote: [To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them]

They were called Active, and later Image cats. I believe Image built all the cats for Baja. I was with the Motor City Magic team in 1986 & 87 a Image cat, and at the 1987 worlds we put Baja sickers on the boat.

Thanks ...that's the name my feeble old cranium couldn't remember.

T2x

Chris
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Ross Focht and what is now Ocean Express is who you guys are thinking of.

Steve 1
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM

I think GlassDave would know some history here.

catman
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I think I gave you the "real" story on this boat in my earlier post. As far as when it first came out for Government use...it was never taken seriously as a "high speed interdiction craft" ...simply because it couldn't successfully "interdict". The meer fact that a hull has no stress cracks means solid construction and, in this case, little else. In actuality after the government backed out of the deal.....nobody else wanted any....

To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them.

T2x

Here ya go. http://www.oceanexpress.com/ They are still in buisness.

smokin' joe
09-05-2009, 12:33 AM

Ocean Express in Algonac, MI built some of the earliest fast cats. Actually won some national titles...

h2oMag
09-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Ocean Express in Algonac, MI built some of the earliest fast cats. Actually won some national titles...

In 1983 Bob Kehrig won the Key West Worlds in the Active cat named Cougar, & later called the Motor City MAGIC. We later made a pleasure cat out of her for Bob in 1986. Also In 1986 Bob had a new MAGIC 33' Image built, that I helped set up & race.

OneBadInjun
09-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Two "Image" cat builders back then. Image in Algonac began in the 70's. Then came Image/Shadow.

DonMan
09-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I saw one tied up at Highport, on Texoma, about 3 years ago. The cockpit was bigger than my living room.

h2oMag
09-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Two "Image" cat builders back then. Image in Algonac began in the 70's. Then came Image/Shadow.

Active became Image around 1985, than later Ocean Express, all by Ross from Algonac Mi. The East Coast Image 30' Shadow cat was first around 1980..

BUTCH RYAN
09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
And 2 world titles in 83'

h2oMag
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
And 2 world titles in 83'

Butch I was hoping you would chime in, I didnt want to take your thunder on your 1983 world title:26: In your Active cat...

baddogz28
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Having seen the 'b.itchin' cat in person, I think it's a cool old boat despite its lack of innovative engineering.

Brownie
09-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I posted this before, but it is worth repeating. When Aronow built the USA cat, it was in the old Scottiecraft/Signature/Pantera building. I was up the street at Cougar. He came roaring up the street in his 560SL with the top down, and said "Jump in"! He drove wide open down the street, and slid into the parking lot, facing the building. When he beeped his horn, the employees opened the door, and there was this weird boat. "What do you think"? he asked. "Damn, Don, this may be a real breakthrough boat. It may be the first one to have all of the bad habits of a cat AND a vee". "Good! If you don't like it, it is gonna be a good boat".

Ted
09-08-2009, 09:02 AM
In 1983 Bob Kehrig won the Key West Worlds in the Active cat named Cougar, & later called the Motor City MAGIC. We later made a pleasure cat out of her for Bob in 1986. Also In 1986 Bob had a new MAGIC 33' Image built, that I helped set up & race.

Brownie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Cougar is actually a Cougar, not an Active. He probably made it.

FastDonzi
09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Brownie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Cougar is actually a Cougar, not an Active. He probably made it.

Nope, That Black cat that has Cougar painted on it a few posts up is an active, Is that the one your refering too?

h2oMag
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM

It is a 33' Active cat, Ross made two sizes back then, a 33' & 37'. I also had a 33' Active with KAAMA drives that I bought from Pete Smith [WOLVERINE]. Pete had Ross build him a pleasure 33' cat also, & Betty Cook set him up with her new KAAMA drives, back in the day...

T2x
09-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I recall being told that Ross was licensed by Cougar to build his original cats with their designs.

T2x

T2x
09-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Active became Image around 1985, than later Ocean Express, all by Ross from Algonac Mi. The East Coast Image 30' Shadow cat was first around 1980..

We started Image Boat Co of New Jersey, the creator of the Shadow Cats in 1978........ The Shadow Cat debuted in 1980.

T2x

dykstra
09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Interesting info!