PDA

View Full Version : 2004 cavalier help?

CAPO71
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I need to replace the rear defrost relay. I was told it's hidden somewhere ? where would it be up under the quarter panel covers inside?

Sea-Dated
12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Check this thread out.

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-cavalier/T1QV61PFFCIA98EAD

Might help

Sea-Dated
12-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Here is another one. Looks like a common problem

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic619485.htm

inbetween
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Hope this info isn't too late

After looking at a service manual for an '04 cav, there doesn't appear to be a separate relay for that system. It looks to be internal to the HVAC control assy - the panel with the buttons on the dash

System description:

Rear Window Defogger Description and Operation
Rear Window Defogger System Components

The rear window defogger system consists of the following components:
• HVAC control assembly
• Rear window defogger grid
Rear Window Defogger Operation

Battery positive voltage is supplied through the RR DEFOG fuse in the IP fuse block to the HVAC control assembly. Ignition voltage is supplied through the HVAC fuse in the IP fuse block to the HVAC control assembly. When the ignition is turned to the ON position, and the rear window defogger switch is depressed, the HVAC control assembly illuminates the rear window defogger indicator and supplies battery positive voltage to the rear window defogger. Ground for the rear window defogger is provided by G302. Ground for the HVAC control assembly is provided by G204.

When the engine is started and the rear window defogger switch is depressed for the first time, the defogger cycle lasts for 10 minutes. Further operation results in 5 minute defogger cycles. The defogger cycle resets to 10 minutes when the ignition is cycled to the OFF position and then back to the ON position.

also, no relay in the wiring diagram either

inbetween
12-17-2008, 12:17 AM
that was post 666 had to post this just to eliminate that

phragle
12-17-2008, 03:20 AM
it's a caviler..nuf said (and gm wonders why they are having problms)

JupiterSunsation
12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
it's a caviler..nuf said (and gm wonders why they are having problms)

That was my first car as a kid and it got a Rodney King beating and never let me down. I could go full reverse and dump it into 1st gear and pop the clutch, yank the e-brake as it started to get traction and smoke the 14 inch tires nicely. It was the most exciting smoke show a 2.0 4 banger could muster! Did one set of brakes, one clutch and a few sets of tires in 2 years and sold it for what I paid for it.

My sister got a full college scholarship so she bought one new in 1995, drove it through college without even doing brakes. I think it got a battery and one set of tires. She married a West Point grad and got stationed in Germany so the Army shipped it over to (the game is that if you ship a car over, the army will ship one back for free when you come home). She sold it in Germany in less than an hour after taking delivery of her new BMW 330i to another serviceman. He told her it was for his wife and he would only buy American since he knew how to fix American cars.

She cried when she sold it but did mention it was a bit scary on the autobahn!