PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked formula 223LS

Prosno
08-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Boat took a hit and I'm trying to fix this the right way.
Its a formula 223LS and my idea was to find a wreck and cut the section out and graft it into my boat but no luck finding a trashed boat so I am looking for the best advice as to how to fix this properly.
I've done fiberglass before and have done bodywork a good part of my life but again I want the best advice on a good fix for this before I proceed, thanks ahead of time guys7626876269

Ratickle
08-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Hopefully Artie will see this. What kind of access do you have behind the hole?

old377guy
08-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Paul, I agree that if we had the whole hole in the hull picture, we could answer the question better. Indeed, Artie should have some thoughts on this. Good luck

Ratickle
08-15-2013, 04:23 AM
Any friends with the same model boat you could pull a quick mold off of? That part would be fairly easy if you do.

Prosno
08-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Cant find a boat to pull mold off of, the split in the hull only goes down to the red but we will be glassing at least a foot and a half to eithier side and down to the floor. Its the upper deck where the vent is thats going to need some special care and shaping, this suck

Ratickle
08-16-2013, 04:18 AM
One of the glass gurus says;

remove the port wing
buff all gel coat around this repair with a non silcone compound
use 2part foam,shape the foam
grind the gelcoat back about 8"
grind glass to a knife edge
apply clear packing tape only to the foam
lay up 17oz glass,4layers,w/epoxy resin
sand flush
use Adtech #12and#14 - 1part #12 and 2parts#14
fair to 80 grit
apply Duratech primer (gray ez sand)
sand w/220 then 320,leaving no Epoxy showing
Gel or Paint to match, (you will match better w/paint, but the paint will not fade,so you will have to keep up the Gel)
remove foam from the underside

good luck

Ratickle
08-16-2013, 04:22 AM
guess that's why they are called gurus. I would have never thought of using two part foam to make the base mold. I wonder if you could spray the foam in place, sand it to the correct shape, glass over it and leave it there?

Offshore Ginger
08-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Hopefully Artie will see this. What kind of access do you have behind the hole? Paul , just walked in the door from the other side of the state visting my Father since Tue's , and to tell you the truth there are more then then a few steps on that list ( post # 6 ) i would not even bother to do , and when i get settled in this afternoon i will pay this thread a visit again .

HiZ
10-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Quietly anticipating that revisit