PDA

View Full Version : Satelite internet?

DonziGirl
10-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Anyone have it? I am slowing starting to move into Tony's house and working from home. I do custom software development and my Verizon air card just simply isn't fast enough for the kind of downloads and uploads that I have.

Time warner (or other cable) isn't an option for his house (freaking middle of nowhere...).

I don't really want to pay for a phone line to get DSL because both of us have cell phones and don't need a house phone.

What are the options/pricing for satelite internet? How good is it?

fund razor
10-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I haven't had it. But I used to install Sat TV.
Knowing what I know about signal integrity from that....
you may want to look into DSL if you can get it at Tony's. Your wired line will be so much more dependable. A drop out during a downl/upload is a beyotch. ;)

(This message sent to you over a 54mbps wireless to cable modem. 15 feet from house to tap. :D Whoo hoooooo. :D )

DonziGirl
10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
SOMEONE.... I won't say who managed to dig up the phone line while widening the driveway. If I go the DSL route SOMEONE (Ah HEM!) will have to replace it.

fund razor
10-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I will come replace your line for a credit toward a driveway. :D

I can even do an under driveway bore.

DonziGirl
10-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Tony has the construction equipment to do it... It's just talking him into it. Right now I only work from home 1 day a week so it's fine but I don't want to put up with air card speeds when I work from here every day.

fund razor
10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Tony has the construction equipment to do it... It's just talking him into it. Right now I only work from home 1 day a week so it's fine but I don't want to put up with air card speeds when I work from here every day.

No doubt... plus... with your site and everything. Isn't DSL a write-off for you?

You don't want to be screwed on cloudy, snowy, icey, rainy... days.
Although I guess you could use the air card.

BY U BOY
10-18-2008, 10:11 PM
How old is your air card? The new 3G stuff is pretty damn fast.

DonziGirl
10-19-2008, 07:21 AM
I upgraded to the new card 6 months ago or something. Is there a newer one out?

Chris
10-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I was discussing a tech issue with the folks working on the site- in one of those discussions we were discussing something called packet errors. I was told that satellite, while fast, is noisy- leading to packet errors. FWIW.

fund razor
10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
I was discussing a tech issue with the folks working on the site- in one of those discussions we were discussing something called packet errors. I was told that satellite, while fast, is noisy- leading to packet errors. FWIW.
Yep. That's where I was going with "signal integrity."