PDA

View Full Version : Enron paint in the water

stevewy
07-13-2013, 10:38 PM
My wife and I are planning a trip through lake Ere in August. The normal stops are put in bay, Kelly's island, and maumee state park. We will be gone a total of 7 days and nights. We are taking the boat (not trailering), and none of the stops have hoist lifts. So, the boat will be in the water for 7 consecutive days .

The boat has a fantastic paint job --- which I'm reasonably sure is Emron. Is it safe to keep Emron in the water for. 7 days or is that pushing it?

stevewy
07-13-2013, 11:15 PM
I know it's eMron not eNron ..... Damn auto correct

stevewy
07-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Last try ...... Imron

Ratickle
07-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Last try was the correct one...

Imron should have zero issues, even if it set in the water all season. However, sometimes certain ones do. I believe it is because of poor preparation during the prepaint process. If you have never had an issue, you should not. Gel is more prone to blistering that Imron in my experience.

stevewy
07-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Yea, I did have an issue. After purchasing, I had to install a new hoist. The hoist company took a whole month longer than they said. Unfortunately I left the boat in the water for a little over 3 weeks

I ended up with about 30 pin head sized blisters on each side near the transom.

I matched the paint, fixed the blisters, and applied a new clear coat

Now, I'm paranoid about leaving in the water much more than overnight. However, we do lots of weekend things so I'm hoping a week is a safe limit

stevewy
07-14-2013, 07:59 AM
The boat is a 2002. Luckily the blisters were in small clusters so easy to fix

Ratickle
07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
It was an Imron clear coat to the entire boat from the waterline down? Or just the spots you repaired?

Coolerman
07-14-2013, 12:52 PM
We had some paint on the bottom of our boat that blistered (not BT's fault). I believe it was prepped wrong from whoever did it when the boat was in California for a bit.

Offshore Ginger
07-14-2013, 04:28 PM
First off contrary to what was mentioned in post # 4 , Imron will have issues if left in the water for long periods of time / blistering .

endeavor1
07-14-2013, 07:12 PM
We had some paint on the bottom of our boat that blistered (BT's fault). I believe it was prepped wrong from whoever did it when the boat was in California for a bit.

Understand. Thanks

BDARCHER
07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
I was told most custom painted boats are painted with base coat clear coat.

Coolerman
07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Understand. Thanks

You just don't listen do you!!! Well, that's at least what your employees reviews of you say! :-p

Untamed One
07-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I was told most custom painted boats are painted with base coat clear coat.

We do use a base coat clear coat. I personally have had our boat in the water for 11 straight days on vacation but we are running from port to port so it get some air everyday.

endeavor1
07-15-2013, 07:04 PM
You just don't listen do you!!! Well, that's at least what your employees reviews of you say! :-p

And thats why Im being promoted again... :26::26:

Bobby Archer - watch out, Im headed your way!! :reddevil:

Coolerman
07-15-2013, 07:06 PM

l:

Sounds about right..........

endeavor1
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Sounds about right..........

You ready to come back to work for me?

endeavor1
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Isnt this how threads get derailed?

Ratickle
07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
First off contrary to what was mentioned in post # 4 , Imron will have issues if left in the water for long periods of time / blistering .

Anyway to protect it? And what do you call long periods of time? One week?

old377guy
07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
This has been informative. I was under the impression that besides it's aesthetic qualities, Imron was a great protective coating. I recall that Hatteras, Bertram, Buddy Davis and a host of other builders used to advertise that fact that their hulls withstood prolonged periods of in water time because of the Imron coating. I'm wondering what has changed?.. the formulation?? the application protocols?? Artie, knows his stuff so I'm curious.

rschap1
07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I had always assumed Imron was up to the task too...
I know that it hard when it dries and cures.
I know that it is not what AwlGrip is, but figured if Formula used it on their graphics it could handle staying wet for a long time or forever...

Offshore Ginger
07-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Funny thing i sprayed Imron today and to tell you the truth in my opinion it still is a very durable paint that i use all the time ( 555- U ) which is old school Imron with the green & white label that has all the good Poisons opposed to there paints with a lower VOC , and might i mention that most boats i see with blistering ( cruiser's ) are around the waterline / boot stripe , that are left in the water all summer long with bottom paint but....... on the other hand ( excample / past experience ) most boats with a painted bottom ( Imron ) not left in the water over a short period of time would blister on the trailer or where the boat sat on the bunks . Hey everyone Imron is a great paint with Awlgrip being even better ( durable ) with both paints if used properly and common sense are great products to use on your boat .

BDARCHER
07-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Bobby Archer - watch out, Im headed your way!! :reddevil:

You need to bring some of those railroad $$$$$$$

endeavor1
07-17-2013, 09:26 PM
You need to bring some of those railroad $$$$$$$
I am boss.

Give me a call. Got some Q's about he area.

940 249 1286
Chris

Ratickle
07-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Funny thing i sprayed Imron today and to tell you the truth in my opinion it still is a very durable paint that i use all the time ( 555- U ) which is old school Imron with the green & white label that has all the good Poisons opposed to there paints with a lower VOC , and might i mention that most boats i see with blistering ( cruiser's ) are around the waterline / boot stripe , that are left in the water all summer long with bottom paint but....... on the other hand ( excample / past experience ) most boats with a painted bottom ( Imron ) not left in the water over a short period of time would blister on the trailer or where the boat sat on the bunks . Hey everyone Imron is a great paint with Awlgrip being even better ( durable ) with both paints if used properly and common sense are great products to use on your boat .

Is there anyway to protect Imron better?

And do they blister where they sit on the bunks because of water in the carpet/wood?

stevewy
07-18-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm being told that about the best thing you can do is to make sure that any area that will be exposed to water for an extended period of time is kept waxed . A good protective coat of wax. However, the he's advice I'm given is keep it dry