PDA

View Full Version : Racine Marine and Ski - Transom replacement/Multiple treated pieces of wood

HiZ
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Okay, here is the deal.
98 Chris Craft
Rotten Transom/work with local Volvo penta Dealer
They pulled power and drive
Then sublet the work to this place that has stated the work is done.
They have installed several pieces of Treated lumber not in the correct fashion

What rights do you have as a consumer, they are stating they will not release the boat until there is payment made.

Ratickle
05-17-2013, 09:34 PM
http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Consumer/pdf/RepairShops192.pdf

HiZ
05-17-2013, 09:47 PM

HiZ
05-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Thank you, I just have these pics that were sent of what they did!
Let me review and send the information to my friend dealing with this.
Anyone want to comment on the repairs they did to his boat?

HiZ
05-17-2013, 09:55 PM
http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Consumer/pdf/RepairShops192.pdf

That right there is saying he is pretty much stuck up to the agreed price.
there was only talk about completed cost, they would not give a solid number to complete the boat
Also, he had not signed anything. This place was assigned to do the work through the Volvo dealer?!?
s

Ratickle
05-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Wether they sublet it or not. They are responsible for the quality of the work meeting safety and (at the very least) minimum industry quality standards.

That all needs to be ripped out and replaced.

Friggin amazing. I do not know if I have ever seen work that poor....

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Is that complete? How much? If that was mine I would want to shot them. You may need to pay them secure the boat back in your possession and sue everyone. I would be hard pressed not to shoot someone.

Buoy
05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Good Lord!!!!!
I'm only looking at the pics on my phone, and I can tell that is one of the worst cobble jobs, use of wrong materials I've ever seen.
All that crap needs torn back out and replaced with MARINE plywood. Glassed and filleted properly.
What you have there might last one/two seasons, but I wouldn't trust towing it to the ramp.

phragle
05-18-2013, 02:47 AM
pay them with a credit card and then dispute the charges.

HiZ
05-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Wether they sublet it or not. They are responsible for the quality of the work meeting safety and (at the very least) minimum industry quality standards.

That all needs to be ripped out and replaced.

Friggin amazing. I do not know if I have ever seen work that poor....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't think that I have either, how can you look at that and assume there is any strength?
The wood is pretty much just filler!

This is a Serious Matter

HiZ
05-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Is that complete? How much? If that was mine I would want to shot them. You may need to pay them secure the boat back in your possession and sue everyone. I would be hard pressed not to shoot someone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

The first picture is the completed job, the one to the right is the beginning of the project.
You can see how the rotten wood absorbed the gel that was brushed on sparingly.

HiZ
05-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Good Lord!!!!!
I'm only looking at the pics on my phone, and I can tell that is one of the worst cobble jobs, use of wrong materials I've ever seen.
All that crap needs torn back out and replaced with MARINE plywood. Glassed and filleted properly.
What you have there might last one/two seasons, but I wouldn't trust towing it to the ramp.

That stuff right there is some real garbage, it's kind of what happens when you don't know what you are doing.

HiZ
05-18-2013, 10:57 AM
pay them with a credit card and then dispute the charges.

Check and Mate!
I will run that by him
Thanks

old377guy
05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
YIKES!!

Offshore Ginger
05-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Hiz long time no see ole friend and to tell you the truth i would be pissed at the quality of workmenship that your pics are showing and treated wood to boot ................................wow . Just curious was the work done at a so called shop with a good reputation because in the long run that very well could bite them in the a$$ if you know what i mean .

phragle
05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I tell you what, I did a whole lot beter job than that on the nova, not knowing what I was doing completely and it had been 30 years since the last time I even thought of touching fiberglass as a 15 year old kid.

fund razor
05-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Good Lord!!!!!

Believe this man.
He once drove away from his own transom. :)

Buoy
05-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Believe this man.

This is true.

Ratickle
05-20-2013, 04:06 AM
I think HiZ would be doing the same thing...

fund razor
05-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Not his boat.

HiZ
05-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Hiz long time no see ole friend and to tell you the truth i would be pissed at the quality of workmenship that your pics are showing and treated wood to boot ................................wow . Just curious was the work done at a so called shop with a good reputation because in the long run that very well could bite them in the a$$ if you know what i mean .

This is not a place that I know of, I guess that they are more of a sailboat shop
But it is an actual marina that is actually charging him $5k so, It's all bad
Just didn't believe me when I said, " That's wrong"

Ginger, thanks for the plug in! Miss these conversations!

HiZ
05-21-2013, 01:56 AM
True, but I would help pick up the pieces from the bottom of the lake!

HiZ
05-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Believe this man.

What's the story on that!?!

rschap1
05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
WOW
Never imagined I would ever see anything like that.
Why bother doing anything at all if that is what you are going to put your materials and effort towards???
Crazy
and yeh...?
How does on go about driving away from their own transom exactly???

:)

Bobcat
05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Just saw this.....DAMN ......:ack2:

Buoy
05-21-2013, 02:48 PM

and yeh...?
How does on go about driving away from their own transom exactly???

:)

It's a complicated procedure...:ack2:

Offshore Ginger
05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
This is not a place that I know of, I guess that they are more of a sailboat shop
But it is an actual marina that is actually charging him $5k so, It's all bad
Just didn't believe me when I said, " That's wrong"

Ginger, thanks for the plug in! Miss these conversations! The bottom line is 5k for $hit is wrong and even if it is a sailboat shop they should no better ,and to tell you the truth your friend should be seriously thinking about moving this up a notch .............maybe face book for starters just to get there attention because nobody wants a bad reputation in this business because bad news travels very fast , and just curious what is the name of the Marina ?

fund razor
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Mean lake weak stringer I think.

Buoy
05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Mean lake weak stringer I think.

Yeah, that's the short version.
I'll try to take the time to type out the full story tomorrow.
I've told it here before, but it's worth telling again.

fund razor
05-22-2013, 07:53 AM
search, cut, paste.

(unless you plan to make up new stuff) :)

Buoy
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
search, cut, paste.

(unless you plan to make up new stuff) :)

You know, I searched, and I can't find it here.

I'll try to type it out later.

Ratickle
05-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I coouldn't find it either. It must have had a secret name....

And it's always more fun to make up new stuff. Doesn't get boring that way.

Ratickle
05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Artie, isn't $5K plenty to get that kind of a job done correctly?

HiZ
05-23-2013, 08:27 PM
5K is way more than need be!
Seems like he is trying to pull it and they are threatening with a lawsuit
Plan is pick up the boat and pay $0 for the work that is worth Negative dollars as this will be a pain in the arse to tear out

HiZ
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
The bottom line is 5k for $hit is wrong and even if it is a sailboat shop they should no better ,and to tell you the truth your friend should be seriously thinking about moving this up a notch .............maybe face book for starters just to get there attention because nobody wants a bad reputation in this business because bad news travels very fast , and just curious what is the name of the Marina ?

Check the title, Racine Riverside

I guess this is the place Racine, Wisconsin, Hunter, Mainship, Walker Bay, Boat, Sail, Dealer, Used, Parts, Service,Suzuki outboards, (http://www.racineriverside.com/)

Ratickle
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Saleboat guys don't know about powerboat transoms. That's the way all saleboats are I think....

HiZ
06-13-2013, 11:53 PM
SALE LOL

Ratickle
06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Any resolution?

HiZ
06-15-2013, 03:11 AM
After discussion with the service manager and their glass tech they decided to release the boat and they may file against him for lost wages and material, but.............
He has the boat and it's in pieces, we are doing it. Have the NEW junk work apart, wow and have installed new good transom.
........It's looking up for this vessel

old377guy
06-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Glad to hear

fund razor
06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
After discussion with the service manager and their glass tech they decided to release the boat and they may file against him for lost wages and material, but.............
He has the boat and it's in pieces, we are doing it. Have the NEW junk work apart, wow and have installed new good transom.
........It's looking up for this vessel

They should eat this and fire the glass tech. This can't be the only case.
Gee, um, "he usually does really good work but for some reason on this one he just lost his mind."
Like techician tourettes.

HiZ
07-21-2013, 01:29 PM
What am I doing the same?

Ratickle
07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Driving away from your own transom (If you left it as crappy as those pics)....:eek:

HiZ
07-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Driving away from your own transom (If you left it as crappy as those pics)....:eek:

Right! Well I'm driving away from nothing at the moment
Smacked a low floater at about 55 and did some damage, so
Yeah