PDA

View Full Version : Driving my new BT

stevewy
03-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Hard to believe it's almost the first of April and still below freezing in Michigan. My canal is still frozen, and looks to still be about 12" - 16" lower water level than last year.

As depressing as this cold is, I know boating is just around the corner. I hope to splash my new BT (a 2002 - but "new" for me) in 3 or 4 weeks. I've done a fair amount of work on it over the winter, and still have a little to go, but IT's READY. Now, I'm starting to get a little anxious to drive it. As I've mentioned in previous threads (when looking to buy), I'm basically new to performance boating. Twenty years experience with a flybridge cruiser, and 4 years with a PQ 280 (single 502). The PQ was obviously different than the cruiser, but really was super easy to learn to handle/dock. I think the BT is going to be a different story. I'm still pretty concerned about the durability of the XR drives (I have twin 500 EFI's), but, am hopeful that if handled carefully I'll be ok. Now, for a few dumb questions for a novice BT driver:

1) When getting my PQ on plane I always had the tabs all the way down and the drives trimmed in. I assume the BT is the same. I've been told to really baby it getting up on plane. I assume "baby" it means throttle very slowly and try to keep the bow down. Is this correct?

2) Once up on plane; I would incrementally raise the tabs to get my bow up and then incrementally bring the drives up. I'm told on my BT that for normal cruising (40 - 50 MPH) only to raise the tabs to about "3" and then only use them to level the ride. Not to use them for speed. I was told to bring the drives out gradually and use them to reach my speed. Hopefully, at around 3500 with the drives trimmed I can cruise at my 45 MPH or so. Again, correct?

3) Lots of threads on here talk about working the throttles a lot for less wear on the drives. I assume that means; ease off when hitting waves and throttle up when running flat.

In advance, I appreciate any answers and any other information on handling that would be helpful. I'm not a huge speed guy, so am really more interested in keeping the boat under 55 MPH 95% of the time. I'm sure I'll have my moments though that I'll want to kick it up, but that will come as I get more seat time. Thanks for any advice.

Underdog88
03-25-2013, 08:59 AM
While there are guys here w/BT specific info for you, I can offer this.
While we're stuck on our trailers with this everlasting winter and get a little teaser day here and there climb on your boat and make motor noises:)
Then set your trim tabs level with the hull using a yard stick or just a good eyeball. Do the same w/your drives so they are straight even w/the hull and even w/each other. Yard sticks on the cavatation plates works. Get someone in the boat to push the buttons so you don't have to climb in and out a dozen time like me.
Good time to verify your gage is accurate (they are adjustable and often need it) then take a grease pencil or tape and mark this position on your gage as a referance. This is your home base starting point. This is called Neutral Trim and gives you a better idea of where you are at in relation to the numbers on your gage.

1) When getting my PQ on plane I always had the tabs all the way down and the drives trimmed in. I assume the BT is the same. I've been told to really baby it getting up on plane. I assume "baby" it means throttle very slowly and try to keep the bow down. Is this correct?

Yes, tuck drives all in. Tabs you will want to play with and BT guys will have better advice. On my boat,(lighter hull) all the way down is not needed and too much. It's like dragging an anchor as well as extra strain on the drives. I set mine at what amounts to about a 25-30 degree down angle to the hull.
And yes apply power smoothly. I ease mine up to about 3k and leave it there until on plane. If your bow is pointing to the moon you need more tab down. You may also need more power to get "over the hill" all boats are different.

2) Once up on plane; I would incrementally raise the tabs to get my bow up and then incrementally bring the drives up. I'm told on my BT that for normal cruising (40 - 50 MPH) only to raise the tabs to about "3" and then only use them to level the ride. Not to use them for speed. I was told to bring the drives out gradually and use them to reach my speed. Hopefully, at around 3500 with the drives trimmed I can cruise at my 45 MPH or so. Again, correct?

You are correct. Tabs up to your neutral position marked. That may be 3 on your gage, maybe 5. Anything lower will only drag you down slower but this can be good in rough water conditions to keep the nose cutting the waves and not skying over them. You'll want your drives a tick or two higher than neutral. Again BT guys can give you a better idea. Find that rair day you are ready to run fast and the water is flat. Fast cruise or balls out and trim up (w/in reason) until you quit gaining speed or props blow out(spin free). Note that position on your gage as optimum.

3) Lots of threads on here talk about working the throttles a lot for less wear on the drives. I assume that means; ease off when hitting waves and throttle up when running flat.

The main/most important time to back off the sticks is if your props leave the water. You can't let your motor free rev up then drop props in the water. Best way to break em (drives). If you get air, back off but don't slam shut the throttles. You want the props to reenter the water as close as possable to the speed you are moving. In a perfect world you wouldn't hear any change in motor rpm while jumping from wave to wave. Takes LOTS of practice and only one way to get it.

I hope this give you some help. My fingers are outa breath...
Mark

Ratickle
03-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Really nice response Mark, and right on. Your tab setting will vary boat to boat, the BT may even like nuetral setting on take off unless you are way loaded with people and gear.

One of the things I will say about BT's. They get on plane as easy as any stepped big Vee there is. You'll be surprised. The first one we test drove way back when (1999) was shocking, and just another one of the reasons we had to have one.

stevewy
03-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks Mark, great response

Ratickle: where do you normally have your tabs at take-off?

old377guy
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
That's great advice from Mark.

racer511
03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks Mark, great response

Ratickle: where do you normally have your tabs at take-off?

all the reponses are right on the money

with my 46' black thunder I alway take off with drive in or (down) and tabs all the way up so there is no drag and bring throttles up slow to 3000 rpm to 3400 rpm ,every black thunder will be a little different, 2002 46' bt, the nose does stand up a little more than the later 46 bt's

just remember to not get in hurry when docking bt (slower is better), the more weight makes it harder to stop by hand at the dock

You will get more comfortable with every outing and will love the boat

stevewy
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Racer: Thanks. So, you have your tabs all the way up --- on my PQ I had them all the way down. Otherwise, my nose would be shooting at the sky. I really want to focus on not putting too much strain on the drives. If it takes a little longer to get up, no problem --- better than rebuilding drives! From the responses it sounds like trying out the first time with the tabs at neutral, ease it up to around 3200 and be prepared to tab if the bow lifts too much. Once underway tab up a little, set my trim and see how it goes. I'm like a kid in a candy shop --- don't remember being this excited about boating season starting in a long time

stevewy
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Shane: on another note, I'm planning on coming down to LOTO for the shootout. So far, there are 3 couples planning on the whole week and a 4th couple for a few days. The 4th couple is a boat mechanic and hard to get away for a whole week at that time. It's about 50-50 if I'll bring the boat. If I do, I would like to keep it at the BT marina. Will it be finished by then? Is that a good spot for the week? Is it ok to leave in the water for a week or should I plan on pulling it out each day? The water around here isn't great to keep a boat for more than a couple days --- gets pretty skunky. I'll prob pester you with questions as the shootout draws closer

racer511
03-27-2013, 10:40 AM
I have tried taking off with tabs down, didn't seem to help much. I would keep them above neutral for best results

BT marina is work in progress, hopefully going well by shootout, with 4 couples, is there 4 boats or just your boat coming down.

stevewy
03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Only my boat, and whether or not I bring mine is 50-50. I have to get a vehicle to pull it. Others will stay in a hotel, and so will I if I don't bring the boat.

racer511
03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
I will know more on slips at the marina to stay in month or so,

after 4 or 5 days of boat in the water it can get dirty on the bottom

stevewy
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all of the advice for both purchasing my BT and suggestions on driving. I launched her today. The boat runs absolutely fabulous. I was surprised at easy it handled around the dock. I have a bow thruster, but never touched it while docking.

On the open water, I tucked the drives all the way in, set the tabs at neutral and eased it up to about 3400. As it felt it was about to plane I gave a little more throttle and off she went. Handled effortlessly at 3500 going 40 MPH. After getting a little more comfortable, I raised the drives and kicked it up to 4300 and hit 60. A little porpoising, but as soon as I tapped the drive down a tick it leveled right off. So far, all I can say is its a great boat!

Ratickle
06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Told you they came up on plane easy. Glad you're happy....

racer511
06-10-2013, 08:57 AM
You had ask a about the xr drives and durability
I talked to BT owner that has 2006 46 with twin 525s 330 hours, no work done on drives other than oil changes
he starts on plain easy and is a smart driver
driver input is how long drives will last

might help put mind at ease

Great to hear you have boat out and running

stevewy
06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks. I was really surprised at how well it handled. My canal is 60' wide. I only live one house away from the mouth (about 120'). So, I thought it would be easier for me to back the boat into my house rather than trying to spin it around. Backing up was misread difficult than I thought. It was very calm out but I ended up drifting closer to the wall than I was comfortable with. I straightened it out with a little throttle, but the bow did want to move a lot on me. I have a thruster but chose to try and do it with just the power. I'm sure I'll get more used to it, but it will take practice

The weather Sunday was bad (rain) and now I'm going to Vegas on business until Thursday. I'll try to get it back out Friday. My plan is to go to a local marina that's not very busy and spend an hour or so docking from all different directions to see ho it handles

Ratickle
06-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Cross winds get them with the high sides. You'll be glad of your bowthruster then!!!!

stevewy
06-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Encountered my first problem. I sucked up some muck and had to shutdown and clean the strainers. What a pain to get on and off. I loosened the bolt, shut the valve, removed the cap ring, took the strainer out. Getting the o ring reseated and the cap ring back on was hoorible. Is there some little trick I should know, or are they just a pain?

stevewy
06-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I love the BT. I've been out 3 times this week and each time I felt a little more comfortable. She's a little tricky backing into slips. I'll get it though!

A few quick questions. I want to see if I'm driving her correctly.

I get on plane at about 3800. I ease it up slow and she levels off at around. 3800. I seem to reach optimum speed with the drives around 4 and the tabs at 3.

At 3500 I'm getting about 35 MPH
At 3800 I'll get up to around 45
At 4200 I'm over 50
Wide open is around 4800

At WOT drive up to 4, tabs at 3, 2 people on the boat, and a full tank of gas I hit 61

Top end speed seems a little low. How do I compare to others? I'm sure with more seat time and tweaking drives and tabs I'll pick up more speed

Coolerman
06-21-2013, 07:56 PM
You should be seeing about 70mph+ on top end. Have you tried tweaking the drives/tabs at all when at WOT? Have you also checked the motors (compression check, leak down)?

stevewy
06-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Not really. I set the drives after reaching plane. Raise slow until I start to drop speed. Then I raise the bow a little (tab up) and give full throttle. On the sea trial it hit 68 with 4 guys and 3/4 tank of gas. I have it full now. I'm sure the engines are good ..... Just need to learn to drive it. Any tips are spprecoated

endeavor1
06-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Tabs all the way up drives at 5. That seemed to be the sweet spot on the ones I've had

Ratickle
06-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Try running with tabs all the way up, tap drives up, up, up, up, until the props start to blow out, or your speed drops off. (I'm assuming you are using GPS for speed?). But, no full tank, 1/4 or Two people max in the boat. No water/gray water tank stuff. No extra weight of any kind if possible. The test in 1999 of a stepped 43 with the 470HP 500efi's was 74 mph.

There should be no reason to use any tab at WOT unless you are loaded unevenly, cross wind to level, or the water is so rough you don't want to fly the boat.

Bear442
06-22-2013, 11:33 AM
your mph numbers are way off...................start with drives all the way down, tabs up or no tabs......... WOT.....click drives up slowly and watch tac....the boat ran 69-71 effortlessly or no tabs....69 mph with hardly not fine tuning.....hell it ran 69 during sea trail with no adjustments at all, drives down and maybe a click on tabs...if you remember....

don't get hooked on all this trimming stuff. drove most of the time with drives down and just used tabs. Used drives for fine tuning when we were going a distance...my 2 cents

stevewy
06-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Great boat Sonny. The first boat I've ever had in my life that everything on it works.

We recovered the v-berth pads, put new carpeting in both the cabin and cockpit, pulled out the second row of bolsters, changed GPS and stereo. All just personal preference issues. My only complaint is those strainers are a pain to clean out. I'm very happy.

She is the talk of the town. Everyone is in awe of it. Great boat.

Thanks for the driving tips, I was actually going to call you but didn't want to bother you. I'll try your tips next time I take her pit

Bear442
06-22-2013, 02:02 PM
yep she is, the cameras would out when I took her out, she is one of a kind. I did my best trying to keep with her. The strainers, never clogged one of them. Had a heck of the time with them when I would just do general maints. There is no trick that I know of.
Glad you are enjoying it I am certainly happy it has a good home...

Bear

stevewy
06-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Thx. Ran great today. With 6 people, full tank of gas, normal boat stuff on board -- tabs all the way up, drives at 4 hit 64.

Stopped for lunch at a local hangout. Some woman tooke her small son (probably about 5) over by the boat and took his picture standing next to it . Too funny

Bear442
06-23-2013, 12:07 AM
get use to it, I had people waiting at the end of the channel with cameras for me to pass them. It a touch of class for sure.......
enjoy.....
I had the boat wot only a few times, mostly ran at 35-40 mph.. But she never failed to hit 69-71 mph wot..maybe you have some stale gas still in tanks and it running against the knock sensors...

have fun and be safe....