PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Chevrolet Corvette

Ratickle
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
2014 Chevrolet Corvette

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/Corvette2014.jpg

General Motors this evening took the wraps off the seventh generation Chevrolet Corvette, a 450-horsepower high-tech American sports car that says as much about GM in the post-bankruptcy era as any financial spreadsheet or marketing campaign.

“It’s a huge statement,” Mark Reuss, GM’s president of North American operations, told me earlier in the day, after giving some 400 employees a sneak peak. “It punctuates a new General Motors that takes risks, important risks,” like incorporating cutting-edge technology that will work its way into the rest of GM’s lineup.

The new Corvette, for instance, incorporates lightweight materials to a degree not seen on even the most exotic cars, including a carbon fiber hood and removable roof panel, and a carbon-reinforced aluminum frame. The normally high-priced carbon materials are standard on every Corvette, yet the car’s price will be about the same as today’s Corvette, which ranges from about $50,000 to $113,000.

The Corvette also signals a new, more collaborative way of designing cars and trucks that cuts waste and improves quality. Hourly workers from the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Ky., spent eighteen months commuting back and forth every week to Detroit, where they were embedded with the engineers and designers working to create the next-generation Corvette. And engineers spent time assembling the current-generation Corvette in Bowling Green to better understand the challenges of putting the cars together.

“We’ve had input from the very beginning to make sure we could build it,” said plant manager Dave Tatman.

The unprecedented level of collaboration early in the design process enabled GM to avoid some potentially embarrassing problems later. Assembly workers, for instance, pointed out a potential problem in the way hand stitching on the leather-wrapped dashboard and door panel came together in the Corvette’s striking cockpit-like interior.

“Our whole design was really threatened by that,” said Ryan Vaughan, 33, the Corvette’s interior designer. Together, engineers and factory workers came up with a specially designed tool that allows workers to pivot the two pieces as much as 2 millimeters in either direction to ensure a perfect fit every time.

Plant workers’ input also influenced the design and placement of crucial parts like hoses, electrical components and fasteners to make it easier for the factory to build it right the first time. “If we can build it well, that translates into quality on the road,” explained Mary Barra, GM’s senior vice president of global product development. She’s been working to improve GM quality and wring $1 billion in waste out of its engineering and product development efforts. “The Corvette is a model for how we want the company to work together,” she said.

The first Corvette debuted at the GM Motorama in New York City on January 17, 1953, and was an instant sensation. Since then, it has been an enduring automotive icon with a deeply loyal fan base. Of the 1.5 million built over the last 60 years, 1.4 million of them still exist.

But each generation was different, noted Reuss, who recalls being squeezed in the back of a Corvette while riding around with his father, former GM President Lloyd Reuss. “They’ve always been a sign of the times,” he said, pointing to underpowered models during the fuel crises of the 1970s. The 1978 Corvette base, for instance, managed 0-60mph in a slow 7.7 seconds on just 165 horsepower. Then there was the landmark 1984 Corvette, the first to achieve more than 1 g in cornering grip.

Like the ’63 Sting Ray, the best Corvettes, Reuss said, delivered cutting-edge technologies, spectacular design and “awe-inspiring” driving experiences. “This one reaches into the future,” he told me.

The new Corvette — one of only a few worthy of the Stingray name, GM decided — shares only two parts with the its predecessor. Highlights include:

• An interior that includes real carbon fiber, aluminum and hand-wrapped leather materials, two new seat choices – each featuring a lightweight magnesium frame for exceptional support – and dual eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens;

• Advanced driver technologies, including a five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors 12 vehicle attributes to fit the driver’s environment and a new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching that anticipates gear selections and matches engine speed to help drivers shift more skillfully;

• An all-new 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine combines advanced technologies, including direct injection, cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system that delivers more power while using less fuel. It’s expected to deliver 450 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft. of torque, and be capable of going from 0-60 in less than four seconds. And it should be the most fuel-efficient Corvette, exceeding the EPA-estimated 26 mpg of the current model.;

• Lightweight materials, in addition to the carbon fiber hood and removable roof panel, including composite fenders, doors and rear quarter panels; carbon-nano composite underbody panels and a new aluminum frame, all of which help achieve an optimal 50/50 weight balance for better handling;

• A sculptured exterior features advanced high-intensity discharge and light-emitting diode lighting and racing-proven aerodynamics for improved stability and track capability that helps the car stayed glued to the road even on tight corners at high speeds.

“Stingray is one of the hallowed names in automotive history,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of global design. “We knew we couldn’t use the Stingray name unless the new car truly lived up to the legacy. The result is a new Corvette Stingray that breaks from tradition, while remaining instantly recognizable as a Corvette the world over.”

New Corvette Is A Sign Of The Times At GM - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/01/13/new-corvette-is-a-sign-of-the-times-at-gm/)

rschap1
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Too much new Camaro

poncho
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't like the Camaro like tail lights. The rest is Corvette like to me and I like it!

Ratickle
01-26-2013, 07:44 PM
http://youtu.be/gf5ZbWQr9h4

poncho
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Little better when its the real thing vs an artist rendering. But still don't like the taillights. Overall it looks like a Ferrari 599.

TUCK646
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
It'll grow on me ??
,we wish they'd do a C3 retro EDITION L88 conv.

old377guy
01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
the Ferrari in it jumps out at ya

poncho
02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Yep the Ferrari influence does jump out. Starting to like it though. Leno's Garage did a segment on it and after seeing kind of want one now. First Look: 2014 Corvette Stingray - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrQrAn_hNA) sorry I don't know how to embed on this forum.

http://youtu.be/rKrQrAn_hNA
Like this

Ratickle
03-07-2013, 05:09 AM
New convertible was released in Europe now.....

New Corvette Stingray goes topless in Geneva - MSN Autos (http://editorial.autos.msn.com/new-corvette-stingray-goes-topless-in-geneva?icid=autos_4073)

New Corvette Stingray goes topless in Geneva
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray loses its roof to bring the noise.
By Richard Aucock of MSN Autos

How important is Europe to Chevrolet? Very important. To underline this, the automaker made a significant world debut at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show: the 2014 Corvette Stingray convertible. The coupe debuted in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, and the premiere of the soft-top so soon after the hardtop indicates that Chevrolet means business with the Corvette in the halo car's two most lucrative markets.

There's a fondness for the Corvette in Europe, helped in part by its exploits at Le Mans each year, but also aided by Europeans' love of sports cars. With the radically improved new C7, Chevy finally has a car to take the fight to the Porsche 911.

The Stingray ragtop drew plenty of attention in Geneva. Some visitors made an interesting observation: Here's Chevrolet going after Porsche with an open-top Stingray, while downstairs at the show Jaguar is getting ready to do the same with its open-top F-Type. We're betting in time they will all be together in a three-way face-off — the battle of America, England and Germany?

What is it? The new seventh-generation Chevrolet Corvette was revealed in January, reviving the Stingray name along with it, but Chevy has lopped off the roof already for the Corvette Stingray convertible. The Stingray's new 6.2-liter V8 engine puts out a nice, round 450 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque — enough to hurtle the convertible from zero to 62 mph in less than four seconds, according to Chevrolet.

What's hot? All C7 Corvettes get Chevrolet's Active Rev Matching feature, which automatically blips downshifts on the new 7-speed manual gearbox. Better still is the engine's new Active Fuel Management system, which shuts down half of the V8's cylinders when cruising. It means this Motor City muscle car will return 31 mpg highway. Designed with a drop-top version in mind from the start, the chassis should be relatively stiff, too.

What's not? The interior is an improvement on past Corvettes, but it still has a way to go before it matches some European rivals. The coupe actually gets a removable targa-style roof as well, so we wonder if the open car will warrant the likely price premium.

How much and when? Chevrolet hasn't confirmed when it will go on sale or how much it will cost, but we'd expect the Stingray convertible to start between $55,000 and $65,000 when it does.

MSN Autos' verdict: Porsche 911 and Jaguar F-Type, watch out: A new U.S. challenger is in town.

Ratickle
03-08-2013, 05:05 AM
I like the way it looks....

TURBO JET
03-13-2013, 11:53 PM
I prefer the oldies
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/louiefdny/1970%20corvette/DSCN6842.jpg

It's for sale somebody buy it so I can put it towards an Apache
454 4sp conv # match original glass
Pm me if your interested

Ratickle
03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice.

I can't tell the year from the front. '72?

old377guy
03-14-2013, 08:54 PM

TURBO JET
03-14-2013, 09:24 PM
woops left the most important part out 1970 lowest production year vette plus Carlisle celebrity choice award.
Here you go
1970 Corvette Photos by louiefdny | Photobucket (http://s285.beta.photobucket.com/user/louiefdny/library/1970%20corvette?postlogin=true)
It's gota go I NEED A BOAT

Ratickle
03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
My Vette

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/PaulsVette.jpg

Ratickle
03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Terri's Vette

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/TerrisVette.jpg

TURBO JET
03-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Two very nice vettes you have there, I think I will always own a vette its in my blood. Here is my 71 350 Steel Cities Gray
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/louiefdny/Return%20to%20Steel%20Cities%20Gray/DSC01836_zps159ef837.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/louiefdny/Return%20to%20Steel%20Cities%20Gray/louievette1_zpsa7dd374e.jpg
Just got it back from paint hope to have it ready for summer need to make some room so I can work on it.

Ratickle
03-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Nice lookin '71. I can't imagine being without one either. Every time I am, I end up getting another pretty quickly.

If yours was a '72, it would be tough to resist. I've had a few Vettes.

My old '57 was a riot to own (I was in my early 20's). But it handled like crap, especially above 130 or so.....

I had a '63 split I turned into a drag race car, complete with straight axle and tubbed rear. How's that for dumb?

Ratickle
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
:sifone:

http://youtu.be/mg-gHddQkn4

poncho
03-20-2013, 03:31 PM
I had an 85 Vette for awhile. Bought it in 91 and sold it a year later. It wasn't a bad car, just wanted the 944 turbo more! Have thought about getting another ever since though. A leasing company here has an 08 black on black, that they'll lease for $489 per month. Still thinking maybe as a fun replacement for my 928S4. Waiting to see if the prices really drop when the new one is out.

Ratickle
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Chevy Corvette: 60 years of cool

Chevy Corvette: 60 years of cool - MSN Autos (http://editorial.autos.msn.com/chevy-corvette-60-years-of-cool)

TUCK646
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Two very nice vettes you have there, I think I will always own a vette its in my blood. Here is my 71 350 Steel Cities Gray
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/louiefdny/Return%20to%20Steel%20Cities%20Gray/DSC01836_zps159ef837.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/louiefdny/Return%20to%20Steel%20Cities%20Gray/louievette1_zpsa7dd374e.jpg
Just got it back from paint hope to have it ready for summer need to make some room so I can work on it.

looks like you got the 55-6 problem too!

Ratickle
04-09-2013, 04:22 AM
It certainly is an interesting background to his vette pic......

TURBO JET
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Had my 70 posted on ebay and got a lot of calls one guy wanted to trade me his rotisserie restored 71 cuda # matching I was tempted but that doesn't get me closer to a boat. But I do have a few very serious so we will see.
That shop had a lot of classics inside in varies stages of being restored.

TUCK646
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm a Corvette,Chevy,GM guy to the core,but i do like a lot of Mopars.(obviously that 71 Cuda was'nt a convertible) Somehow some Mopars,Cuda's Challengers in particular still have a pretty firm grip on the Muscle car market.
Oddly enough 70 Chevelles are running the market.
Your 70 is stunning , the things i would do for a 69 red on red roadster.

poncho
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
My brother's friend got a 67 427 convertible as a grad present. That was back in 88 and I've wanted one ever since. I'm building my U.S credit to buy a second house somewhere warm (likely Southern California) and have thought about leasing a Corvette to help build.

Ratickle
01-04-2014, 03:27 PM
First C7 Corvette to pass 200 MPH does it on a Texas toll road

http://youtu.be/B-gzNi6MRwI

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/17/first-c7-corvette-pass-200-mph-texas-toll-road-video/#continued

Madpoodle
01-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Shelby did it last year WITHOUT NOS...

Madpoodle
01-04-2014, 08:59 PM
OK, so my take on the new Vette LOL..

Recently invited to spend some time behind the wheel at PBIR. Got there early, spent some time going through the cars. First impressions of the looks from the press photos were confirmed, I am not a fan. It just looks like a poor imitation of bad Italian design, with a Camaro butt.

Inside, tight quarters for a 6'2" guy. Dash cool, sort of down in a tunnel but readable. Seats comfortable, decent support for stock seats, like my Recaro's WAY better. Not much headroom, with the addition of a helmet later I was wearing the car like a hat. Several others commented on the same issue, one guy was taking multiple pictures and talking about making aftermarket panels with more headroom.

On a tight autocross track, it runs flat, but feels bigger than my 08 Bullitt did on the same course. Power impressive, it goes well, real well. Handled the tight corners like a champ. With my head pinned to the roof it was difficult to turn it and see very far ahead, and the windshield frame interfered with my view when I did.

Our next tip was the main track. I had an automatic, let it run it's self as we had to leave the traction control on or get red flagged. Follow the leader type of run, so I hung back a bit until we had good separation so I could run it hard. (Not that I had to actually the leaders were not fooling around, but I liked the space.) Straight line acceleration was excellent. It does just get up and scoot. Brakes VERY impressive, they haul it down fast with no rumble, no chirps in the brake pedal when the ABS kicks in. GM did their homework on the drivetrain. Coming into the curves it was easy to set it up and shoot to the next one, but thats when the fun stopped. Even though it was in the track mode, the traction control was hideous. Brutal, no smoothness to it, the system just slaps you hard and makes the car feel like crap. Car sounds like it has an old time MSD rev limiter in it, the engine just cuts in and out. Very disappointed in it, it's more intrusive than BMW's which I always hated. I would love a rerun without the ATC, but that wasn't in the cards that day. Coming out of the final curve onto the back straight, you had to really line it up right if you wanted a good blast down the straight, if you cut the corner to tight the ATC would cost you a big chunk of speed. Straight line run was excellent. Maxed out over 140 on the back straight, car is rock solid and glued to the track. At the end of the straightaway the brakes once again shone as they hauled it down to cornering speed quickly.

Overall, cool car as far as performance. Drop a better body on it, it has possibilities, but as is it is not my cup of tea.

Out in the parking lot after, I found a group of the test drivers gathered round the Boss LOL. Had some interesting convo, but couldn't talk them into letting me run it on the track with a couple of their cars damn it... :rofl:

TUCK646
01-05-2014, 05:55 AM
DON'T LIKE IT!!
At first I thought it would grow on me, or one of us would like it.
Don't like the headlights or the taillights, the quarter windows suck even worse than the first time we saw them, we wanted to like the grille, but it shouldn't have one.
I'm sorry I don't want or like anyone badmouthing GM, but I can't find the Corvette in this car.
I/we like Camaro's, Ferrari's, Viper's , just don't think the Corvette should look like any of them.
Feel like they screwed the pooch on the C7 (almost glad i can't afford 1)

JMO

PONCHO, 928's are cooler than 944's

The convertible looks better, kinda? ( the mirrors look silly)), need to see it from a few more angles.

Madpoodle
01-05-2014, 09:46 AM
I had hopes it would be better in person.

I also had hopes I would bed Farrah Fawcett in the day...

Ratickle
01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
:rofl:

Have you heard anything at all about a possible ZR1 on the new C7 format? That's the one I'm waiting to hear about...

Ratickle
01-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Shelby did it last year WITHOUT NOS...

The older ZR1 did years ago.....

Short Clip

http://youtu.be/MxwZhWQYWcQ

ZR1 Goes 200+ MPH! - 2009 Corvette ZR1 Top Speed Run

Serious News
01-06-2014, 10:03 AM
SportsCars: Westbrook, Corvettes Lead Way At Roar Before Rolex 24

A 1:39.748 lap time by the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona entry of Richard Westbrook was the quickest on Sunday but it was Christian Fittipaldi’s 1:38.630 lap in the No. 5 Action Express Racing Corvette DP, set in Friday’s opening session, that stood as the best of the weekend.

“It was a good test in most aspects but a little bit frustrating in others,” Fittipaldi said. “Instead of getting better, the car actually went the other way. But it is great to be on top of the time sheets.

“I am pretty sure everyone in the field is struggling right now with overall grip. All in all I think we have a solid team and a solid group of guys driving, so I am really excited to come back here for the 24 and try to win this thing.”

Corvette DPs swept the top four positions on Sunday, although it was the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing Riley-Ford that ended up third quickest of the weekend, thanks to Jamie McMurray’s 1:38.980 lap time on Saturday afternoon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/sports-cars/sportscars-westbrook-corvettes-lead-way-at-roar-before-rolex-24/

Ratickle
01-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Nice to see the Vettes with the fastest laps.:hurray:

poncho
01-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Bet those that wanted Corvettes but decided to wait are glad they did. Next ZO6: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140107/CARNEWS/140109906?utm_source=DailyDrive20140107&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article1&utm_content=20140107-2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-details-leak,-and-it-percent27s-going-to-have-620-hp-and-650-lb-ft-of-torque&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Ratickle
01-10-2014, 08:45 PM
So if they are just announcing and releasing the Z06, it will be at least a year after that before the ZR1 comes out.

poncho
01-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Here a C7 with Z51, magnetic ride, 3lt, etc. is $74K, so I'm guessing the ZO6 is going to start at $85K and go up to $95K. Don't think they are going to make a ZR1 because it will be well over $100k and not many buyers in that price range.

Ratickle
01-12-2014, 12:21 PM
But $100,000 for a world-class performer is fairly reasonable. The last ZR1 beat the half-million dollar Porsches, Ferrari's etc around Nuremburg. I think it's still in the top 10 fastest laps ever there.

http://whoartnow.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Fastest-Nurburgring-Laps-Production-Cars

Yep, I checked.

Madpoodle
01-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Ugliest car at the car show in Naples Fla Saturday, ayup you guessed it LOL!

Top Banana
01-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Detroit Auto Show tom'w morning they unveil the 2015 ZO6

Madpoodle
01-12-2014, 11:11 PM
BTW, I don't hate ALL Vette's..

Just the C7 LOL..

poncho
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
776317763277633O.K. the C5 and 6 are better looking cars. But the C7 looks good and its better in person. ZO6 is out, only 625hp, its supercharged and don't see them making a ZR1. But here it is: http://jalopnik.com/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-a-625-horsepower-track-car-1499859928

Ratickle
01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Personally, I like it. I wish it were a bit more rectangular like the Cadillac's did with their little muscle cars, but over all I think it's a dang good combination of tough, stealth, and still subtle enough changes to be an obvious Corvette from almost every angle.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/2014%20Supercar%20Super%20show/7Z0X0478_zps71417011.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/pete454/media/2014%20Supercar%20Super%20show/7Z0X0478_zps71417011.jpg.html)

Ratickle
01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Not having driven one yet, (roads up here don't seem to make the dealers want to let me take one out even though I have the GM test drive a Vette and get a free memento pass), I cannot comment at all on the headroom. I know my 85 has more driver headroom than Terri's 00. Hopefully madpoodle sits up too straight. :sifone:

fund razor
01-13-2014, 09:56 PM
The Z06 has a transmission built up the road here.

Hometown pride. :)

(Too tall to ride. :( )

poncho
01-13-2014, 10:16 PM
My local dealer had the last two new ones in Canada. I was set up to test drive it but the guy before me bought it. Once it was sold they couldn't let me drive it. My brother is 6"4 and 400lbs+ and he fit comfortably in a C6. We are hoping its the same for the C7, only sports car he's been comfortable in.

Ratickle
01-13-2014, 10:18 PM
(Too tall to ride. :( )

No Problem!!!

Madpoodle
01-13-2014, 11:06 PM
You're gonna need a bigger hole saw... ;)

Ratickle
01-14-2014, 09:16 PM
You're gonna need a bigger hole saw... ;)

Are you saying John has a big head?????:sifone:

Ratickle
01-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Recently invited to spend some time behind the wheel at PBIR.

Any chance you'll get to drive the Z06? Initial prelims are pretty dang good.....

Madpoodle
01-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Any chance you'll get to drive the Z06? Initial prelims are pretty dang good.....

Would love to run it. The stocker ran 142 on the back straight, I'll bet that one crushes that number!

Ratickle
01-16-2014, 11:44 PM
It has more torque than the ZR1.....

Serious News
01-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Published on Jan 20, 2014

When the livery of the new 2014 Corvette C7.R was introduced at the North American International Auto Show, a small contingent of personnel from Corvette Racing was on hand to witness the event. Doug Fehan, Corvette Racing's Program Manager, spoke with CorvetteBlogger about the new race car and competing in the TUDOR United Sportscar Championship series.

http://youtu.be/b6-qbHZbwVE

Ratickle
01-24-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm rooting for it in the Rolex....

Serious News
01-26-2014, 09:50 AM
The seventh-generation Chevy Corvette is here, as its rather over-the-top Z06 version, and, making its racing debut today at the Rolex 24 in Daytona, the C7.R race car.
Captured at the International Horseshoe corner during the first three laps of the race, these photos show the Gavin/Milner/Liddell Corvette Racing C7.R no. 4’s near-miss with the no. 54 Oreca FLM09 Prototype Challenge car of Bennett/Gue/Braun/Wilkins among other action.

The stunning racer has been designed to compete in various GT race formats including Le Mans as well as the United SportsCar Racing. Power comes from a naturally-aspirated 5.5-liter V-8 with direct fuel injection and dry sump lubrication. Chevy is keeping quiet on final power figures, though it’s almost certainly less than the estimated 625 horsepower of the Corvette Z06.

It does, however, feature similar suspension to road-going Corvettes: double wishbones but with unique control arms and coil-overs. Its brakes are unique, though, in this case steel rotors with six-piston calipers at each corner.

Oh, and the car also sports an updated version of the Jake skull logo, the Corvette Racing team’s unofficial mascot.

Stay tuned for more live Daytona coverage here at Motor Authority as the race goes on, including live photos, news, and more.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089912_chevy-corvette-c7-r-turns-first-laps-in-anger-at-daytona-photos

Serious News
01-26-2014, 10:02 AM
New Corvette evokes old memories at Rolex 24 At Daytona
By The Sports Xchange
18 hours ago

By Reid Spencer

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Thirteen years ago, Dale Earnhardt's first sports car race in a Chevrolet Corvette was the last race he completed.
Earnhardt, son Dale Earnhardt Jr., Andy Pilgrim and Kelly Collins finished fourth overall and second in the GT classification in the 2001 Rolex 24 At Daytona. A Corvette driven by Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell, Chris Kneifel and Franck Freon took first place overall.
By the end of the weekend, Earnhardt had endeared himself to his teammates, thanks not only to his talent behind the wheel but also because of the indefatigable generosity of his personality. Two weeks later, Earnhardt's life was cut short in a last-lap crash in the Daytona 500, and the motorsports world mourned.
A forceful confluence of circumstance in this year's 24-hour race at Daytona International Speedway can't help but evoke memories of the Earnhardts and 2001. A new Corvette, the C7.R, is making its competitive debut in the Rolex 24, competing in the GT Le Mans class that grew out of the merger between GRAND-AM and the American Le Mans Series.
The first race of the newly formed TUDOR United SportsCar Championship also marks the first appearance of the Corvette CR.7 in its traditional "velocity yellow" racing paint. The significance of the Corvette debut isn't lost on IMSA president and CEO Scott Atherton, in part because of the purity of the technology transfer involved.
"I think it goes back to the Detroit Auto Show -- the North American International Auto Show -- where they introduced both the C7 road car and the C7.R race car," Atherton said. "For us, it is the benchmark example of connecting racing technology that's being introduced and developed on the race track and then directly transferred back to the road car.
"And to have Mark Reuss, outgoing president of General Motors, make the presentation he did and make comments that this road car has more race car DNA in it than any car (GM has) ever produced, for us as a racing platform, as I say, that is the benchmark example.
"The fact that they're competing in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and back at the Rolex 24 At Daytona, it's the best of all worlds combined together into one. We're very fortunate, I think, to have a company and a car of that ilk so deeply involved."
In fact, as Atherton spoke, Reuss was landing at Daytona, eager to watch the debut of the Corvette C7.R in person.
Not that the Corvette wouldn't face some formidable competition from other factory-backed teams in the GTLM class in the inaugural run in the Rolex 24 for that division. SRT, for example, is returning to the Rolex after an absence of 14 years.
"To have the factory Corvettes, the factory SRT Vipers, the factory BMWs, Ferraris, Porsches -- all of them competing in that GTLM category, all with full-blown factory-backed programs -- from a racing perspective, as a sanctioning body and an organizer, that's what you work for, to create the platform that attracts that level of talent and investment, and that's why we're so fortunate to have them all involved the way they are," Atherton said.
Mark Kent, Chevrolet director of racing, echoed those sentiments.
"I think if you look at the former ALMS GT class, and now the United SportsCar Series GTLM class, I think it's the fiercest production-based racing you'll see in the country, if not the world," Kent said. "The bragging rights are very important for us to go head-to-head with our showroom competitors like BMW and Porsche. It's been an amazing rivalry for years, and we look forward to that continuing."
There won't be an Earnhardt behind the wheel this year. Jan Magnussen, Antonio Garcia and Ryan Briscoe will share driving duties in the No. 3 Corvette. Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Robin Liddell will pilot the No. 4.
The absence of star power from the NASCAR ranks, however, doesn't diminish the significance of the new Corvette's maiden run.
"It's really exciting to introduce the new C7.R here at Daytona," Kent said. "We've got such a storied history here, going back to winning it all in 2001 with Corvette, the opportunity to have the Earnhardts drive a Corvette here at Daytona. So there's a tremendous amount of history through the years, and the new C7.R race car is just the next chapter of that history here at Daytona.
"This is an amazing event at an amazing facility. Like the Daytona 500, we always, in NASCAR, start the series off with the Super Bowl, and we're doing that this year with a brand new car (in the Rolex 24]. It's going to be, as usual, a grueling, demanding race, but we believe we're up for the challenge, and we're looking forward to seeing what the new C7.R will do."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/corvette-evokes-old-memories-rolex-194204719--nascar.html

lucky strike
08-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Just got a 14 convertible in with a 74k window sticker... Green automatic 3LT... 2,000 miles...$71,500
Anybody interested?