PDA

View Full Version : Behind The Wheel For The First Time

TEAMBAJA
10-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Here's a short video of my 12 yr old son behind the wheel for the first time. You couldnt wipe the smile off his face that day!

The boat is a 13' Vyper with a 40 FORCE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy66t0KYP3g&feature=related

Bobcat
10-18-2008, 11:14 AM
that's cool, I remember driving the jon boat for the first time with my dad.

Buoy
10-18-2008, 11:40 AM
That is very cool!! I watched it twice.
Reminded me of my Dad teaching me when I was 10.
Good he's wearing a jacket, but I didn't see a lanyard...:leaving:
I'm just giving you a hard time, don't mean to start anything...I know how some on a previous board would think you were completely irresponsible for telling him to "give it hell" and "hammer it".
I think it's really cool you're starting him young, and doing it the right way!!
Now, you need to start teaching him to trim the motor a bit, looked pretty tucked in.:sifone:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Ah yes !!! It seems so long ago when I had my daughter out in the Bullet 130 when she was 2 years old.

My wife said there was no way she was going to let me take her out in it...

So, while my wife was in the hospital just after delivering my second daughter, this is what we were doing..... :D

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p725314234-3.jpg

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Here is one

My boy can throttle for Tim's girl.

TEAMBAJA
10-18-2008, 02:50 PM
That is very cool!! I watched it twice.
Reminded me of my Dad teaching me when I was 10.
I'm just giving you a hard time, don't mean to start anything...I know how some on a previous board would think you were completely irresponsible for telling him to "give it hell" and "hammer it".
I think it's really cool you're starting him young, and doing it the right way!!
Now, you need to start teaching him to trim the motor a bit, looked pretty tucked in.:sifone:

The lanyard is beside him/behind the throttle. There was nothing irresponsible for telling him to give it hell and to hammer it. We were in the middle of nowhere with no boats anywhere near us. There was absolutely nothing he could have done to put us in danger, even if he hooked the wheel as fast and hard as he could.

Buoy
10-18-2008, 03:25 PM
The lanyard is beside him/behind the throttle. There was nothing irresponsible for telling him to give it hell and to hammer it. We were in the middle of nowhere with no boats anywhere near us. There was absolutely nothing he could have done to put us in danger, even if he hooked the wheel as fast and hard as he could.

Wo, Wo, Wo,
Don't get defensive... I didn't mean it that way at all.
Actually I was trying to make a joke of the people that WOULD have jumped on you.
I think what you are doing with your son is a very cool thing. I think too much of this country tries to wrap kids in styro-foam untill they are 18.
And, not that I think ANYTHING you were doing, or saying, was wrong.
You were being a cool Dad, and teaching him things he needs to learn.
You took this entirely the wrong way - too bad you can't see the look on my face when I make comments such as this on-line, if we were in person you would have understood the joke immediately.:biggrinjester:
Sorry, my fault - but lighten up.
Here's my Daughter at almost 1-1/2yr. This is in my old Baja. About 8 years ago.
Still has the sippy cup on the dash.
But, she was ready to slam the throttle;)

Buoy
10-18-2008, 03:26 PM
BTW - you do need to start teaching him about trimming the motor.
He can get a few more MPH, and he'll love it.

BY U BOY
10-18-2008, 06:22 PM
very cool. I hope I have the chance to teach my children the art of boating.

TEAMBAJA
10-18-2008, 07:15 PM
BTW - you do need to start teaching him about trimming the motor.
He can get a few more MPH, and he'll love it.

Id like to teach him that in a bigger boat. This boat is so light in the front end that trimming it out leads more to porpoising than speed. A small set of tabs and a decent SS prop this winter and we may be onto something better!

Tony
10-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I remember being on the fishing boat at a young age with dad telling the kids at school how cool it was when I got to drive.

I remember dad telling his old buddies how cool it was tearing across Lake Erie in a C-gar boat hanging on for dear life. :)

DonziGirl
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
TB - that would be a killer boat for his first boat... :D

THEJOKER
10-18-2008, 07:41 PM
I love it - give er hell , watch these waves , now hammer it! Too cool!

TEAMBAJA
10-18-2008, 08:20 PM
I love it - give er hell , watch these waves , now hammer it! Too cool!

Thanks. Did you notice the "waves" were more like big ripples?:D

TEAMBAJA
10-18-2008, 08:24 PM
For those of you that missed it, here is me in the same boat on Lake Erie pretending to be in a larger boat heading to Kelleys Island for the night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIMKFO-mPI

Buoy
10-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Id like to teach him that in a bigger boat. This boat is so light in the front end that trimming it out leads more to porpoising than speed. A small set of tabs and a decent SS prop this winter and we may be onto something better!

:cheers2:

THEJOKER
10-18-2008, 09:12 PM
For those of you that missed it, here is me in the same boat on Lake Erie pretending to be in a larger boat heading to Kelleys Island for the night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIMKFO-mPI

New racing class P-10

Airpacker
10-18-2008, 11:13 PM
that Erie run looks like fun:)

Great job with your boy. teach em right from the get go

PARADOX
10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=TEAMBAJA;2543]Here's a short video of my 12 yr old son behind the wheel for the first time. You couldnt wipe the smile off his face that day!

That's awsome Baja. I still have my first grin from my first drive. But again.. I have nightmares from the same drive as well. I was about 10.. My dad's 12' wood boat (with a step. lol )with an outboard had some motor problems.. He said to me take the wheel.. steer straight "that way" and off he went back to the motor.. We'r on the Danube... I know just about everything to drive.. so there were no issues with that. Navigating was a different issue.
Were going.. I'm drivinig.. in the middle of the river.. and a few minutes later we are surrounded by the Chec. border patrol with their aluminum gun boats and "Delphin" straight shaft motors... And I just kept going for a few until my dad noticed and killed the motor right of way.
After we were let go .. and heading back to "our side of the border" we stopped on shore to clean my pants out. :rofl:

ChiefApache
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
I love the smile on his face! :)

I didn't know you had any kids.....wow wee....the things we learn about the people we drink with at Kelley's LOL! :seeya:

TEAMBAJA
10-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I love the smile on his face! :)

I didn't know you had any kids.....wow wee....the things we learn about the people we drink with at Kelley's LOL! :seeya:

Yep, I have 2 great kids. Jacob 12 (13 in Nov) and Carlee, 10. Just about everyone that meets them swears they are the best kids in the world. Carlee gets all A's in school and missing a day is not an option for her or she'd be terribly upset. Jacob thinks Im the "cool" dad because Im constantly buying and selling cars, boats etc. I buy a couple of the full size arcade games every year too, so he gets to tell his friends at school he has some cool toys!:)

Expensive Date
10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Teach them young teach them right.30 years from now he will remember that day

Wrinkleface
10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Here's a short video of my 12 yr old son behind the wheel for the first time. You couldnt wipe the smile off his face that day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy66t0KYP3g&feature=related

U said a swear!!!!!! Very cool!!!:)

OutlawCowgirl
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
OMG Greg! What a cutie! That is super kewl!
There is a little gal at our lake that I have been teaching to drive my boat. She is 15 and scared of nothing. She is very safe too. That was the first thing I taught her....Safety First!

What a great video, his smile was huge!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

yesrej
10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
thats awsome.

TEAMBAJA
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
OMG Greg! What a cutie! That is super kewl!
There is a little gal at our lake that I have been teaching to drive my boat. She is 15 and scared of nothing. She is very safe too. That was the first thing I taught her....Safety First!

What a great video, his smile was huge!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Hey! Great to see you here. And your first post is on my thread!! :kiss:

bootdaddy
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Great vid.

Here are a few stills of my boys 8 and 9 practicing thier docking doing loops in our bay. They are both really cognitive when approaching the dock and did a great job...over and over and over again.

After a while they would goose it a just a tad more pulling away from dock...100% boys! That was generally the time I would end excercise.

I realize they are not wearing life jackets...no need to remind me. I won't go into the details or attempt a defense...it is what it was:blush5:

fund razor
10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the pics Bootdaddy and also for your contributions to this forum.

Obviously you are low key about it, but it is appreciated.

fund razor
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
That video reminds me of my g/f's daughter when she was younger. She drove all of the family's boats and my Nova 210 xl. Sometimes on tippy toes.
Now she is a responsible 19 year old. I already told her that she can drive the Apache. She came to check it out and wouldn't leave the helm seat. :D

bootdaddy
10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the pics Bootdaddy and also for your contributions to this forum.

Obviously you are low key about it, but it is appreciated.

Happy to help out the cause.

And thanks to you for your humor and wit:)

fund razor
10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Happy to help out the cause.

And thanks to you for your humor and wit:)

Kind of funny now P....after all of the stuff at the old place... here we are on the new "dock."
Thank you for what you have done to make it possible.
Glad to be here and glad to have gotten to know you.

Looking forward to look in the eye, handshake day.

End Hijack.... back to great kids with great skippers in their lives. :cheers2:

JJ Apache
10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I hope we all have great skippers in our lives.
Mine was great. :]
Brittney's is too.

glh
10-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Sweet

TEAMBAJA
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Great vid.

Here are a few stills of my boys 8 and 9 practicing thier docking doing loops in our bay. They are both really cognitive when approaching the dock and did a great job...over and over and over again.

After a while they would goose it a just a tad more pulling away from dock...100% boys! That was generally the time I would end excercise.

I realize they are not wearing life jackets...no need to remind me. I won't go into the details or attempt a defense...it is what it was:blush5:

Thanks for the pics! I guess docking will have to wait till spring. The Vyper is probably the easiest boat to dock, and especially leaving the dock..........one little push might put you 6 or 7' feet away! :)

OutlawCowgirl
10-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey! Great to see you here. And your first post is on my thread!! :kiss:

Well, yes! I would not have had it any other way!!!:blush5:

TEAMBAJA
10-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, yes! I would not have had it any other way!!!:blush5:Hey, are you going to Key West? Im thinking about it, but it would be spur of the moment.

OutlawCowgirl
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes we will be there with Gordo and Mrs. Gordo.

GENERAL LEE
10-23-2008, 11:52 AM

Wo, Wo, Wo,
Don't get defensive... I didn't mean it that way at all.
Actually I was trying to make a joke of the people that WOULD have jumped on you.
I think what you are doing with your son is a very cool thing. I think too much of this country tries to wrap kids in styro-foam untill they are 18.
And, not that I think ANYTHING you were doing, or saying, was wrong.
You were being a cool Dad, and teaching him things he needs to learn.
You took this entirely the wrong way - too bad you can't see the look on my face when I make comments such as this on-line, if we were in person you would have understood the joke immediately.:biggrinjester:

Sorry, my fault - but lighten up.

LOL, backfire! :rofl:

Awesome video TB!! It reminds me of my childhood boating days too. My Dad's buddy used to take me out in his little Eliminator and let me steer at 90. :willy_nilly:

yesrej
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Great vid.

love the name on the boat...

bootdaddy
10-23-2008, 04:55 PM
love the name on the boat...

thanks yesrej (that's pretty hard to spell backwards!)

The blue stripe will turn to red as will the Limestone name plate on center console and may add criss cross band-aids near stern corner to cover blue Limestone over:)

CROWN MAN
10-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Matt, Total motor head. Wants to drive everthing.

Phantom1
10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
My little driver/throttlegirl (2 years ago) and my son in full uniform (9 years ago).

Geronimo36
10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Can't start too young!

yesrej
10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
nice frank.

yesrej
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
oh. nice hat :rofl: :rofl:

Griff
10-24-2008, 03:09 PM
At 15 months practicing

5 years later

Little bro following in big bro's footsteps

Wardey
10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Here's a couple of my son Dave and his grandpa. Dave

Wardey
10-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Great day on the water. Dave

Geronimo36
10-31-2008, 09:50 PM
oh. nice hat :rofl: :rofl:

That hat was kickazz bro!!!:sifone:

Here's Dee in a killer poofy jacket and me hangin on the docks with my other older sister Francine..:seeya:

Fathers old boat... 30' Fino with twin 468 twin turbo's about 600 hp a side, boat ran just under 70 mph, circa mid/late 70's

PartyMedic
11-05-2008, 11:25 PM
My 4 year old daughter loves being behind the wheel.

baywatch
11-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Ours started at 18 months as well. Now he just wants to be the throttleman.

Audiofn
11-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Mad Man when he was about 7 months. Did not get the boat in the water this year so nothing on our boat but he did go for a ride on my buddies Sutphen at 75 and was screaming faster faster :D

Donzidog
11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
My granddaughter , LeighAnn ,is in the 4th grade and she has spent the last ten years testing most of Magicfloats inventory ! She has several boats of her own , but I think she's got her eye on one of Robert's Switzers in the corner of the shop .

VtSteve
11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
The crew. ages 6 and 13.

dykstra
11-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Way cool vid!!!!:sifone: