PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa Beach Race Is Upon Us!! Info & Updates

Ratickle
05-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Wish I could be down there for the race. Preliminary chats have over 20 boats pre-registered. Should be a good turnout.

Heard we may have lost one of the SVL's with an engine issue, waiting to hear for sure.

Third Annual Bright House Space Coast Super Boat Grand Prix - May 16-20, 2012 (http://www.spacecoastsuperboat.com/)

Ratickle
05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
2012 Cocoa Beach Schedule
Scheduled events start 17th – 20th

May 17, 2012 (Thursday)
1pm Power Boats Parade to Downtown Cocoa Beach “Meet the Racers” Live Bands, Food & Drinks

6pm-9pm VIP Party – Hilton Cocoa Beach-1550 N Atlantic Ave.

May 18, 2012 (Friday)

9am-5pm Registration: Race Village – The Cove – Dave Nisbet Dr.

9am-5pm Inspection: Race Village
9am-6pm Powerboats and Race Teams in Dry Pits : Race Village
11am-5pm Press Credentials: Race Village
4pm-10pm Live Music: The Cove

6pm – 10pm

VIP Party: Meet the Racers – The Cove – between Fishlips & Baha

May 19, 2012 (Saturday)
8:30am Mandatory Drivers Meeting: Fishlips Downstairs – 610 Glen Cheek Dr.

9am-5pm Powerboats and Race Teams In Dry Pits: Race Village

10am-5pm Registration: Race Village

10am-5pm Inspection: Race Village

12pm-5pm Launching: Bluepoints Marina

12pm-5pm Testing: As per the SBIP Rulebook

12pm-10pm Live Music : The Cove

4pm

6pm-10pm
Bikini Contest: The Cove

VIP Party: Meet the Racers – The Cove between Fishlips & Baha

May 20, 2012 (Sunday) – Race Day
7:30am- 8:30am Physicals: Fishlips – Downstairs

8:30am Mandatory Driver’s Meeting: Fishlips Waterfront Restaurant – Downstairs
8am-9am Press Credentials: Race Village

9am-4pm Launching : Bluepoints Marina
9am-4pm Powerboats in Dry Pits: Race Village

10:00am FAA Pilots Meeting: Merritt Island Airport, 900 Airport Rd. Merritt Island 877-799-9491

11:45am Boats of First Race Proceed to Milling Area-Cocoa Beach

12pm Start of 1st. Race
1:45pm
Boats of Second Race Proceed to Milling Area-Cocoa Beach

2pm Start of 2nd Race
5pm

6pm-9pm

Awards Presentation: The Cove

Sandbar Sports Grill: After race party

Ratickle
05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Any pics from the parade?????

Ratickle
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Vid of Stihl from parade yesterday.....

http://youtu.be/9O_SQIUJo6c

Ratickle
05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Cocoa Beach Prerace Report 2012

May 12, 2012

Cape Canaveral, Fla (May 8, 2012) – Super Boat International (SBI) is excited to showcase the world’s fastest boats this May 16 – 20 for the Spacecoast Super Boat Grand Prix, presented by Bright House in Cocoa Beach, Florida. The entire Cape Canaveral area is playing host to what is expected to be a fantastic kickoff for the 2012 Super Boat National Points season. Teams have prepared and tested their boats during the off-season and will converge on the small community known for United States Space Shuttle programs.

All the teams that have competed in the previous years events have remarked how the space coast is a great venue for racing and teams are amazed by the overall community support. This year is shaping up to be a remarkable race, which kicks off with a parade and block party in downtown Cocoa Beach. Raceteams trailer their boats Thursday May 17th and park their boats so fans can get a close view and get autographs from their favorite drivers and throttleman. This year many teams are participating in the annual event and it should be a larger party that last year.

Two teams prepared and staged to come to this year’s event are 2011 World Champions Team Instigator and STIHL Offshore Racing. “I really like coming to Cocoa Beach, the people are very nice and it’s a really great community. I’m looking forward to starting the season, Super Boat puts on the most exciting races, comments Peter Meyer, owner / throttleman of Vee-bottom Team Instigator. Meyer’s is many time over National and World Champion and throttles one of the most recognized raceboats on the circuit. The boat, a typical Vee-bottom on the surface, is packed with a lot of power under the deck.

Team STIHL, driven and owned by JR Noble is also excited about the start of the Super Boat season. “May can never come soon enough. We finish our season in November in Key West and it seems like forever until we start our first race of the season. We spend a lot of time in the offseason testing and working on our equipment, so we should be ready to go. Last year was a great race with fastboats.com, we just hope for a better outcome than last year. They beat us by just a couple boat lengths. They are always tough competitors.”

“Cocoa Beach is an exciting place for teams to race. The water is usually bumpy and typical ocean style racing. This year conditions are expecting be the same,” comments John Carbonell, owner of Super Boat International. “Our course is a long rectangular course so fans on the beach and the hotels can see the boats racing for almost 2.5 miles down the beach. They make a counterclockwise turn and head back up the beach past Cocoa Beach Pier.”

As for an organization that is the leader in powerboat racing, Super Boat continues to make changes and improvements to the fan experience, safety requirements and overall growth for the sport. Over the past few years Super Boat events have proven to be a great economic impact for cities hosting races. Some cities have seen million dollar increases in dollars spent in their communities from the previous years. Many cities interested in hosting Super Boat events have contacted Carbonell and SBI continues to evaluate those potential sites. Its important to have a race community that is capable of having an infrastructure that can support a Super Boat race and a community that can deliver a great fan experience for multi-year deals.

Super Boat Cocoa Beach Race Village

The race village dry pits (raceboat and support equipment staging) is located off Dave Nisbet Drive in Cape Canaveral. Starting Thursday May 17th teams and fans are encouraged to follow the boat parade to the downtown Cocoa Beach Super Boat block party off minuteman Causeway, starting around 5:00 pm. Friday May 18th is team registration and race village is open to fans. Friday evening is racers party at The Cove from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm, within walking distance of the dry pits. Saturday May 18th is raceboat testing from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm. Fans can watch boats craning in and out of the water near the dry pits or watch boats as the test offshore near Jetty Park and the Cocoa Beach Pier. In addition, the famous bikini contest will take place early Saturday afternoon. Sunday races will begin at 12:00 and the second race will be at 2:00. The races last just under an hour with approximately one hour in between races. Following the final race fans are invited to race village for the award ceremony. A VIP race experience package is available for purchase with details online here.

This year’s event will be streamed on Superboat.com so you won’t miss any of the action. On the stream page, watch interviews, make comments and watch all the action as it happens. Stay connected with superboat.com and be informed on streaming start times and follow us on twitter. The Super Boat racing season starts in the middle of May and runs through the second week of November, culminating with the Key West World Championships in Key West, Florida. The Super Boat schedule is posted through 2013 with races in Cocoa Beach, Sarasota and Miami, Florida, Michigan City IN; New York, New York; Clearwater and Key West, Florida.

Ratickle
05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Sounds like 25 boats in the pits, Gasse, Geico, and IMCO still on the way.

I also hear the SVL I thought may not make it has been loaned an engine from another SVL team and will run. Great news, and thanks guys.....

Ratickle
05-20-2012, 10:04 AM
You can watch the event here.....

Super Boat Cocoa Beach Grand Prix on the New Livestream. Live. Redefined. (http://new.livestream.com/sbi/cocoabeach2012)

TYPHOON
05-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Who was in the first race? How did they finish? Should be over by now.

jonesn'
05-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Randy picked this up off FB so its unofficial

SVL
Sunprint
Phantom 9
Boatfloater

SS
GB
DuceRods(Hulk)

Tilted kilt won in their class

Geico DNS...problem with the bottom

Ratickle
05-20-2012, 07:21 PM
I heard the bottom delaminated yesterday in practice and they would not run.

Ratickle
05-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Also heard Mike took a really hard hit in IMCO. Is he okay?

RedHotRacing
05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I took a really hard hit but I'll be okay, Thanks!!!! However the boat has some issues to deal with. Hope we can make it to Sarasota

Wil Ros
05-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Mike,

We have not met but I want to wish you a speedy recovery!!
The boat looked fast!
Hope to meet you in Sarasota !!!

Wil

RedHotRacing
05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks WIl.... I'll be there

TYPHOON
05-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Mike great first run in a SVL !!!!!! Heard you guy's were moving. It looks a lot easyer from the shore and in no way do people understand the beating we take inside these boats. It doesnt get any easyer you just know what to expect now, "PAIN". LOL Steve K. and son nice job as well and great team work getting the boat to the start line.

XtremeRacing
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
My hat off to everyone in the SVL it was one crazy ride, I have muscles hurting I didnt know I had just finishing this one was a Victory. There was some great racing and I will do a better Job counting LAPS Lol next time, I was pretty close only missed by one LOL.

Ryan Beckley
05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey Frank, thanks for the hose down at the green flag, I didn't need to see out of that mirror anyway........

imco offshore
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Ryan Don,t get near him in sarasota ,,he pissed off a lot of people ,,daadum,,,,daadum,,,,lolol :driving:

XtremeRacing
05-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry Ryan if you were behind me I never saw you.

Ryan Beckley
05-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Um....Yea, at the start when you went around both the Kildahl's and I and hosed us both down and then we went right back by you....... thanks!

XtremeRacing
05-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Like I said I'm sure it wasn't on porpoise I dont think Mark ever saw you and if he did he didn't say anything to me about it. We also got pushed into the center of the course and he might of been trying to get of the right side of the start marker. You keep thanking me i wasnt even driving.....

extras
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
thanks for throwing me under the bus

F1-00 Racing
05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Instead of whining and defending why dont the both of you get the class reps together and make an agreement that the SS start to the inside and the VL's start on the outside. It worked in the past when they started the F1's with the SS.........Either that or assign specific positions and get rid of the free for all starts. After watching the Livestream it looked as though the VL's lined up and 2 SS "Honey Badgered" their way through the VL's and hosed the whole VL fleet down...

XtremeRacing
05-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I dont think you will see the svl starting with the ss the rest of this yr.

Ryan Beckley
05-22-2012, 10:29 PM
After watching the start video, I am not sure which move was worse the L-1 around the out side, double house down or on the oppisite side the S-31 around the paceboat slingshot. I do't think our class rep as even at the race....

F1-00 Racing
05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Come on Ryan, you've been in this game for an awful long time and I am pretty sure this wasnt the first time you were hosed and I am pretty sure it wont be the last. He apologized said he didnt see you, what more do you want from him? Sure as a racer things happen that can be upsetting, but come on a hose down last at most 5 seconds.... Did that 5 seconds cause you to finish 3 minutes 26 seconds behind the winner or for that matter 1 minute 48 seconds behind the boat in front of you? I've been hosed down by every single boat in the SS class over time, but instead of bitching and moaning about the problem, I helped contribute to the solution(stated above) and it worked. Good luck to you down the line and hopefully an amicable solution can be reached and it wont happen again.

Ratickle
05-22-2012, 11:12 PM
thanks for throwing me under the bus

:sifone::rofl::sifone:

XtremeRacing
05-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Marks a big boy he likes driving the bus , and pretty good at it. :driving:

Ryan Beckley
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
7376873769 (SBI Photos)

Thanks for the valuable insight Trent. It IS much appreciated. Sorry we didn't see TnT racing out there on the course, but it was nice of you to lend support to Team IMCO in the rookie race.

Kerry and his staff , at the Space Coast GP, put on a great event and we had a good time. Overall we couldn't have done any better as we lost fuel pressure in the last corner anyway. We ran as hard as we could to finish in 4th place and complete all of our laps. We were just a tick off the pace of WHM, in 3rd, the entire race. BlackSand and Duece Rods.com were gone. Congrats to those guys. We'ld like to than all of our sponsors for enabling us to show up and compete. Fluid Sealing Products.com, Wayne Deck Realtor, JD Byrider, Ronstan Paper, Electronics Unlimited, Reliable Services, AECI, Hampton Inn of Cocoa Beach, Slow & Low BBQ of Cocoa Beach and all of our family and crew that makes it all happen. We were sorry to see Team BK motorsports have engine troubles and not make the start of the race. We'll see everyone in Sarasota!

Moving On.....

XtremeRacing
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Ryan I have to agree Kerry and is staff worked their butts off to put on an awesome event. They have taken huge step in a few shorts yrs. Sarasota is the next event and we all know what kinda of show that is, they dont get much better.:hurray:

Ratickle
05-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Looking at Freeze's pic it does seem like an odd lineup for the start.....

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/2012cocobeach/89.jpg

XtremeRacing
05-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Looks like a pretty clean start to me, good job guys.

Ratickle
05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I was just surprised they didn't start in 2 waves instead of the cats and SVL's mixed together, or at least lanes of SVL's and Cats on the outside or something.

I don't think I've ever seen it that way before.