PDA

View Full Version : Cabin stair door

gripit
12-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Does anybody know if you can purchase a "cabin stair door" like in the picture below? Or does anybody know of one that can be purchaced off of a wrecked cig? I wanted to modify it to replace the one in my Bullet! Thanks

Perlmudder
12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
nice looking cig. any more pics?

gripit
12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
nice looking cig. any more pics?

Yea, I found it in the Cig forum here.:sifone:

Tank
12-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Have you tried Cigarette, or Phil? Just be prepared for sticker shock. I assume those are NOT CHEAP!

Getting one off a salvaged boat is a great idea....Now you just have to find the boat:sifone:

38fountainSC
12-08-2008, 10:10 AM
There is a plastics company by me that can make one. They made me a hatch for our fountain for $100 with holes drilled and tapped. I seen other boat stuff in there where they had to bend the plastic. It was large sliding cabin door off a cruiser said he charged $200. Here is there web site:http://ohioplastics.us/ pretty basic site but give them a call, I think they can help you out way cheaper then new. Let us know how it goes.

Sea-Dated
12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I would love to have a door like that in my Cafe'. Just don't know if it would work or not.

gripit
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm going to write Bud an e-mail asking him for a price. I will let you know what he says

OldSchool
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
That's going to be a completely custom fabrication, as the Bullet's door is 100% vertical. Are you talking about removing the hatch that is above the stairs and installing a stepped door in there? I really don't see any way to do it without it looking ridiculous unless your going to reshape the surrounding fiberglass and cabin configuration. Good luck.

Craig

Hollowpoint
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm thinking the same as OldSchool. The larger cabin on a Bullet moved everything towards the cockpit, so they did a little slight of hand and made the lifting hatch as part of the fairing. I may lack imagination, but I think it will take alot of custom work and glass to get it to work. It would be one trick looking setup if it could be done though. I'm sure I'm not the only one to cuss while getting to the forward deck on my Bullet.

Good luck and post up some pics if you do it!

klaw
12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I had thought this would be a real **** to do but in thinking about it further a way may be to have it hinged and lift up replacing the compaion way hatch that is there now

just a thought maybe not good one but a thought LOL

OldSchool
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
There would also be nowhere for the stepped door to slide into. I guess that you could put some massive hinges on it and have it flip up if you just have to have it!

klaw
12-08-2008, 02:04 PM
There would also be nowhere for the stepped door to slide into. I guess that you could put some massive hinges on it and have it flip up if you just have to have it!

I think if you removed the port side glove box assembly you might be able to rebuild that into a spot it could slide into not easy but another thought

gripit
12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Guys,

I was thinking about modifying the side of the passenger console to match the profile of the stepped door. After the modification, it should be able to slide behind the passenger's side console just like in the picture. I don't know the depth of the stepped door in relation to the Bullet's passenger console. I do realize if it is possible to make it fit I would lose the depth of the glove boxes, but I was just curious if it would be possible. Does anybody know the dimensions of the stepped door?

Seafordguy
12-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Guys,

I was thinking about modifying the side of the passenger console to match the profile of the stepped door. After the modification, it should be able to slide behind the passenger's side console just like in the picture. I don't know the depth of the stepped door in relation to the Bullet's passenger console. I do realize if it is possible to make it fit I would lose the depth of the glove boxes, but I was just curious if it would be possible. Does anybody know the dimensions of the stepped door?

During one of my many days of sitting on the boat daydreaming I started looking at this, and I know on my Cafe I think it would work. The passenger side console would have to be cut out to match the new door, but assuming that the passenger console is DEEP enough (to match the "slope" depth of the door), I don't know why it wouldn't work. There is a possibility that the dashboard hole on the Cafe's would have to be modified but I am not sure that would even have to be done. I think it would all just depend on the angle of the door.

I don't think that the Bullet setup is that different from the Cafe is it? I think it would be close to working....maybe not easily DONE, but close to working....

gripit
12-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Went down to the boat today and it will never work in a Bullet with out sig mods to the passanger console. Not worth it in a Bullet, but may be it could work in a cafe or Gun??

BDiggity
12-09-2008, 01:09 AM
studyin the pic of my cafe, i think u would have to give up the port locker just in front of the passanger console. thats assuming the door stays on current rail & steps are recessed.

I would like to add cupholders on the passenger side like ive seen other Cafe's, but not sure how that wouldnt impact the door.

Also i want to add a small step right at base of opening to the berth. After a long day on water & a few drinks, that step down is a pretty good drop.

Hollowpoint
12-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Seaford, it's way different. Isn't your door not just a vertical slab, but the upper half angles at about 45 degrees to allow headroom stepping into the cabin? On the Bullet, I have a separate headroom hatch and a door, with the hatch really being part of the deck with a wind deflector built in it, not behind the fairing like it is on your boat.

Transversely, I think there is enough room on the passenger side console, but that would have to be major work done and it would probably further decrease the size of the cockpit.

I guess the easiest way would be to hinge it where the hatch is and raise it electrically, but with such a small cockpit, my door stays open 90% (for coolers and stuff) of the time and that wouldn't be an option if it hinged up.

Seafordguy
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Seaford, it's way different.

Holy hell - I am an idiot; it is a lot different from how I remember it. My memory from being on your boat is TERRIBLE - must be the Aristocrat.

Bobcat
12-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I think it would be easier to make something like this work, it could also double as your boarding ladder.

OldSchool
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I think it would be easier to make something like this work, it could also double as your boarding ladder.

LMAO!!!:rofl::rofl: