PDA

View Full Version : HORBA has arrived.

Top Banana
10-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks to all the members who did such a great job putting this together.

HORBA hopes to be able to really pull on our members, both new and old, to give you a "True" history of the sport, including the bloodlines of the various brands you see today.

Please stop by our site and look at what we have planned for true open ocean racing to get started again in 2010.

We are planning more of "Event" types of races, rather than a race series. These events are easier to sell to potential sponsors and get coverage from the media. Also, we don't want to compete with or further divide the racing organizations that are out there today.

www.historicraceboats.com

Top Banana
10-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I know, I know, this thread is worthless without pics......

Top Banana
10-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Never enough........

ChiefApache
10-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Great pics!

Chris
10-18-2008, 09:08 AM
A huge thank you goes out to Charlie for agreeing to combine forces on this.

I'm a huge supporter of the historic/classic/vintage side of the sport. I strongly feel that we're at the turning point right now- where many of these boats stop becoming just old boats and start becoming vintage classics that people begin to collect and restore.

With HORBA's direction and our championing the cause, we can help to create a completely new facet of performance boating.

I'm working with several people right now helping them with doing some "historic recreations" on older boats. Some very exciting stuff that you'll see soon. I'm also looking for one for myself- like I need another boat!

In addition, Charlie has been working to help develop our roster of Icons- the guys that were there and literally invented the sport we all love. Their fascinating stories as wellas their ongoing involvement with the sport is something that is invaluable to this site and we are all very honored to have these people here.

As the site develops and our e-magazine and content management system comes on line, I hope to have much of this content in article format and in very full, deep archives.

Thanks Charlie!

Buoy
10-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm a huge supporter of the historic/classic/vintage side of the sport. I strongly feel that we're at the turning point right now- where many of these boats stop becoming just old boats and start becoming vintage classics that people begin to collect and restore.

I fully agree with that statement.
The new boats on the market just don't do it for me.
Love the old-school boats.:)

Welcome Charlie, and everyone else at HORBA

Bobcat
10-18-2008, 11:20 AM
definately love old school.

Racegirl3
10-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Charlie! Great to have you on board! Thanks for being here :)

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I fully agree with that statement.
The new boats on the market just don't do it for me.
Love the old-school boats.:)

Welcome Charlie, and everyone else at HORBA

Copy That

Top Banana
10-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Nice to see a lot of old friends here.....can't wait to see all of us in our new SERIOUS clothing line at Key West.

cosmic12
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Glad to see you here and I look forward to your input. History and all the great old school pics. Make sure you keep us posted on your new boats as they are finished and the build prosess would be nice also.

BY U BOY
10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Never enough........

What is that in the 3rd pic?

Chris
10-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I believe that's a magnum.

Top Banana
10-19-2008, 09:00 AM
What is that in the 3rd pic?

Top photo is Don Aronow winning the Bahamas 500....Boat # 44 is a 233 Formula and boat # 331 is a 28 foot Thunderbird / Formula driven by Bob Nordskog and the Earl of Lucan.

That boat had two engines on one shaft and one prop. The Earl by the way wwent missing as he was wanted by the British for killing his nanny.....he thought it was his wife coming hme late one evening and got the wrong woman....Or did he????

Chris
10-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry- thought you meant the pic in post #10. 3rd post with pics.

Top Banana
10-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry- thought you meant the pic in post #10. 3rd post with pics.

The boat in # 10 is a MEMCO....actually it was Carl Kiekhaefer that owned the molds (From Magnum) and sold them to........Mabry Edwards, so that he could make a special run of boats just for Kiekhaefer to race with his Lake X specials....hence the name on the stern of the boat MEMCO, for Mabry Edwards Manufacturing Company.

The other guy in this # 10 photo was Dale Thayer, another of Carl's guys and very talented racer. Here is a photo below of Dale Thayer and Odell Lewis at the Miss America race in Atlantic City NJ in 1967. Odell & Dale was supposed to be driving the turbine boat, but Carl K pulled it at the last minute for a display at a factory open house in Fond du Lac.

So the boys took this boat and competed with it instead....back then there were no prima donnas, these guys just wanted to race and would race anything, anywhere. Anyway, this is a 19 foot Sea Craft with a nose extension added to meet regulations (Sorry, Reggie the nose extension beat you by a couple of decades)

The swells were big from a passing storm and Odell had it figured, that if they ran wide open, they could make every other swell. What that means is they would run up the first wave wide open and fly over the second while riding down it's back. They never had to slow down.....until, yup a rogue wave gave us the first ever, "Stuff" of a deep V in an open ocean race. It knocked one engine out and the other was sputtering, while the boat took on the big amount of water from the stuff.

The boat started filling with water over the transom and Dale got up on the deck and pushed the throttles down and moved the boat enough to bail some water over the transom. Odell put on the bilge pumps and both began bailing with their helmets. A rescue boat came over to help and was amazed that they waved him off as they wanted to finish the race.

The got the one engine that was out running again and the other cleared and off they went. Odell had made a bet before the race with Johnny Bakos that they would beat him to the finish line....and he didn't want to lose the bet.

A magic time when giants raced.

This photo has never been published anywhere before, even Crouse's book doesn't have it....a nice start for Serious.

RACESDAD
10-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Welcome charlie and our idols

RACESDAD
10-21-2008, 02:24 AM
The boat in # 10 is a MEMCO....actually it was Carl Kiekhaefer that owned the molds (From Magnum) and sold them to........Mabry Edwards, so that he could make a special run of boats just for Kiekhaefer to race with his Lake X specials....hence the name on the stern of the boat MEMCO, for Mabry Edwards Manufacturing Company.

The other guy in this # 10 photo was Dale Thayer, another of Carl's guys and very talented racer. Here is a photo below of Dale Thayer and Odell Lewis at the Miss America race in Atlantic City NJ in 1967. Odell & Dale was supposed to be driving the turbine boat, but Carl K pulled it at the last minute for a display at a factory open house in Fond du Lac.

So the boys took this boat and competed with it instead....back then there were no prima donnas, these guys just wanted to race and would race anything, anywhere. Anyway, this is a 19 foot Sea Craft with a nose extension added to meet regulations (Sorry, Reggie the nose extension beat you by a couple of decades)

The swells were big from a passing storm and Odell had it figured, that if they ran wide open, they could make every other swell. What that means is they would run up the first wave wide open and fly over the second while riding down it's back. They never had to slow down.....until, yup a rogue wave gave us the first ever, "Stuff" of a deep V in an open ocean race. It knocked one engine out and the other was sputtering, while the boat took on the big amount of water from the stuff.

The boat started filling with water over the transom and Dale got up on the deck and pushed the throttles down and moved the boat enough to bail some water over the transom. Odell put on the bilge pumps and both began bailing with their helmets. A rescue boat came over to help and was amazed that they waved him off as they wanted to finish the race.

The got the one engine that was out running again and the other cleared and off they went. Odell had made a bet before the race with Johnny Bakos that they would beat him to the finish line....and he didn't want to lose the bet.

A magic time when giants raced.

This photo has never been published anywhere before, even Crouse's book doesn't have it....a nice start for Serious.

I WONDERED WHERE REGGIE GOT THE BEAK FROM:seeya:

littlenige
10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Thought some of you might like to see some of the designs I came up with for some tee's a while back. Don'tcha just love computer software!

littlenige
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Few more....

cigdaze
10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Welcome!! And thanks for joining our community.

littlenige
10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Great to be on board! It's a privilege to mix with people I consider to be my heroes.

Top Banana
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Thought some of you might like to see some of the designs I came up with for some tee's a while back. Don'tcha just love computer software!

Welcome Nige....I had forgotten all about those. You did a great job, thanks again.

OldSchool
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome!! And thanks for joining our community.

What he said!! Welcome aboard!!!:)

Craig

Buckman_4
11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Dang i am startin to feel old just lookin at all the pics from back in the day, I will see if i can dig a couple of photos of the old Maverick boat I belive there was a couple of them on the circuit in the early eighties the husltler and one other one that I know of. Ed

Brownie
11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I have been looking everywhere, including calling Charlie, to find a picture of a Bahamian Customs and Immigration guy throwing a Transire from the dock at Cat Cay into a Miami-Nassau raceboat. That 3rd pic is it!

Further to the Odell/Dale pic, I ran the Blue Devil in that race, and led for the first 125 miles. Hit a damned telephone pole and bent everything. My only competition was Aronow in a Magnum 28. He stuffed something in his water intake and fried the water pump. Two things happened. John Stenback won overall (I was second, and first class one) and the Mercury team carried parts out to Aronow (against the rules) allowing him to finish, and cost me US1 in 1967.

Edward R. Cozzi
12-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Don't believe anything Top Banana says about my ability to consume lobster salad.

Top Banana
12-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't believe anything Top Banana says about my ability to consume lobster salad.

Let me stand simply on fact.....Cozzi hasn't been up here in New England in over a year AND....the price of Lobster ......has gone through the basement due to lack of demand !!!!

Edward R. Cozzi
12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
My cholesterol goes up just thinking about that lobster salad.