PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of any strait bottom BT Gt's that are in the 90-100 mph range?

torrent
01-07-2012, 11:39 PM
If so what type of HP and drive setup are they runnin? As I may of mentioned before I am rebuilding or possibly starting over just curious what type of power I need to build to be in the ballpark. There are several step bottom speed and HP numbers out there just no strait bottoms. Thanks

Ratickle
01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I can't think of one.

My opinion, based on the same power in straight bottoms vs stepped hulls on the switch-over, the stepped hulls are 6 to 8 mph faster with the same power.

Coolerman
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I would say some 900's should safely put you in the 90-100 range any day of the week. Are you still planning on staggering the motors? I don't think there is room for staggered motors with transmissions in your rig. Our 43 has a 1ft longer engine room and we barely had room for a short stagger (not a full stagger).

Ratickle
01-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Bob did some testing once with stand-off boxes. I don't remember the results exactly, but from what I recall, it was neither better or worse.

torrent
01-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I would say some 900's should safely put you in the 90-100 range any day of the week. Are you still planning on staggering the motors? I don't think there is room for staggered motors with transmissions in your rig. Our 43 has a 1ft longer engine room and we barely had room for a short stagger (not a full stagger).

I was thinking it was going to take about 900-1000 or so HP. So I guess that will be my target for my engine build. What's your guys thaughts on 557 Cid?
Now the engines are removed I did some further measurements. You are correct there is no way a staggered setup will fit without some major work.

Monopoly 46
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
this SC does 94 seeems a little fast and over priced.
brett

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2001_black_thunder_430_gt-o42601-en.html

Ratickle
01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
brett

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2001_black_thunder_430_gt-o42601-en.html

Wonder why they have it advertised as a GT?

John P
01-10-2012, 09:14 AM
brett

94 mph with 575's ROTFLMAO. That must be a BT that Endeavor owned to be that fast! LOL

endeavor1
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
94 mph with 575's ROTFLMAO. That must be a BT that Endeavor owned to be that fast! LOL

You did read it had imco drives didn't
you? Thsts why its faster:reddevil:

torrent
01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I particularly like the part "This vessel is not for the faint of heart, 94 MPH running through 5 foot seas" thaught it was kind of nice of them to add this needed info.

offshoreexcursion
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
www.banditperformancemarine.com

The web site makes them seem a tiny bit more proffesional and knowledgable then the ad does.....

torrent
01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
So if I go with 557 cid, I would have a stroke of 4.375". I have read many threads stating you don't want to go more than 4.250". I understand the it changes the rod angle.Why is this a bad thing? If it is why would merc go with a 557cid on the 850 SCi?
Jason

Ratickle
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Are you starting from scratch? Block and all??????

torrent
01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I think so, that's what I'm trying to figure out. My existing blocks are 454 Gen 6's. I don't think I will be able to build the power needed to get me to the 90-100 mph range. So I think I will need to start over with a new block. But would still like to use my existing 250 blowers, chillers, heads, intakes and carbs.

Ratickle
01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm not so sure I wouldn't chat with your favorite engine builder about a swap out for yours......

I am a huge proponent of Cu In's.......

Something like this...

Today, the evolution of this engine species continues to evolve as SAR has released a new 940 ci monster motor that represents the top of the food chain in naturally aspirated engine technology (and price). Representing the top of the mountain in the 5.300 engine family, this new 940 engine, even in this pump gas configuration, provides a number of advantages over the smaller, but better known IHRA Pro Stock engines that have produced the quickest and fastest N/A quarter-mile doorslammers in the world.

"No matter whether it's F1, NASCAR or drag racing, the trend over the past few years have been to go with a larger bore and less stroke in order to move the power band up," said Sonny Leonard. "An 825 ci engine will typically use a 4.800-inch bore with a 5.700 stroke. Here, we're using what cleans up to a 5.080 bore with a 5.800 stroke. As a result, the engine is much easier on the rods, makes more power and actually costs less, too."

Of course, brute power is what any of the 5.300 family of monster motors is all about. Dyno tests on this particular engine showed a whopping 1,702 peak horsepower at 7,200 rpm with 1,357 lb-ft of torque at 6,000 rpm on 93 octane pump gas.

MAybe detune it to 1400HP at around 5600RPM?????

torrent
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
WOW, don't know if my budget is up to that kind of Cid. But would be fricken sweet. My engine builder and I are kicking around a few ideas. I'm with you there is no replacement for displacement. But my wee little blowers won't support big cubes.

Ratickle
01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
You'll have to get more feedback, but I'd be worried that small of a pump would make the charge too hot for reliability in a 900+hp engine.

Jason??????

Ratickle
01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
You could always go with Sonny's biggest....

SAR 1005 (2150 HP) **NEW FOR 2012**

SONNY'S NEW 1005 CU. IN ENGINE HAS ARRIVED OVER 2150 HP ( NATURALLY ASPIRATED)
THE FIRST V8 ENGINE OVER 1000 CU. IN. ENGINE HERE AT SONNY'S!
THIS MONSTER MAKES OVER 2150 HP,and over 1550 Ft. Lbs of Torque, AND YES IT'S NATURALLY ASPIRATED !!!!

NICKNAMED " THE GODFATHER" Because this is the Big Daddy of all engines

Coolerman
01-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Generally speaking, the blower is sized in relation to the airflow that is needed. I don't have any experience with the 250's, but I know that the 420's reach a safe limit at around 950hp on a 572 with a good intercooler. The longevity of the blower will become an issue if you take it that far.

There is nothing wrong with doing a 4.375 or 4.5 stroke on a 10.2 deck. Anything past that and the rod angle does become a concern, piston speed in conjunction with your ring package and how they spaced out, and how long the piston skirt is. A lot of race teams do run the 557. We run the 572, but we generally keep it under 6000 rpm with an occasional burst to 7k and it might see 7500 2-3 times a summer. Just have a good crank (we run a windberg), and a good ring package (total seal gapless tops) with a good set of pistons (hard coated diamond pistons).

A 572 with an intercooled 14-71 should make an easy 950 on pump gas at 6k rpm. You could turn the boost up and spin them a bit harder a probably make around 1150hp or 1200 on 100ll avgas or 110 race gas.

The big CID stuff is cool like Ratickle said. The only is issue is the parts are not readily availabe. It's a custom crank (spread bore), custom cam, hand built sheetmetal intake..... etc, just to name a few things. They do work in drag racing, but the longevity of the ring package may become an issue on huge CID motors.

Ratickle
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
My one engine builder does research developement work for Sonny. He had one of the biggies on his dyno when I was there working on intake and head design (all billet and welded stuff).

I asked him if he puked it on the dyno if he had to pay Sonny the $100,000.......:sifone:

endeavor1
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
But would still like to use my existing 250 blowers, chillers, heads, intakes and carbs.

Not wanting to piss in your punch but making 900-1000 Hp in a package that will live isnt gonna happen with a 250 Blower. Second, What are you going to run for drives. Not trying to be a buzkill but you are looking at dumping tons of money in a boat that will kill bravo based drives like prohibition is coming back and drives are the alcohol. Build some nice 700's and go have fun.

torrent
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Not wanting to piss in your punch but making 900-1000 Hp in a package that will live isnt gonna happen with a 250 Blower. Second, What are you going to run for drives. Not trying to be a buzkill but you are looking at dumping tons of money in a boat that will kill bravo based drives like prohibition is coming back and drives are the alcohol. Build some nice 700's and go have fun.

Well I think you just spoiled the punch for my party! Just kiddin. Understand exactly what you are saying and hear you loud and clear. I also remeber when I put these blowers on the old engines with cast internals and every one said it wouldn't last a year. Luckily they lasted almost 6 seasons until I decided to abuse them (overheated the engine oil) on the last ride of this year. As far as the drives they will be replaced next year, with what? Who knows. Haven't made it that far yet. I do know exactly where I placed my spare bravo and a spare gear set. LOL. Cause I will most likely need it. Even if I go on the conservative side with 700's.

Part of the fun in boating for me is rebuilding, working on, maintaining my boat and to see how fast I can make it go. Don't get me wrong when you have to wrench on it everyday it gets old, been there.
What I don't want to do is build engines this year replace the drives with something that can handle the power, next year and start completely from scratch on new engines the following year cause it don't quite go fast enough.

endeavor1
01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Well I think you just spoiled the punch for my party! . - I m good at that.... lol

Part of the fun in boating for me is rebuilding, working on, maintaining my boat and to see how fast I can make it go. Don't get me wrong when you have to wrench on it everyday it gets old, been there.
What I don't want to do is build engines this year replace the drives with something that can handle the power, next year and start completely from scratch on new engines the following year cause it don't quite go fast enough. - I understand this aspect fully and agree. Keep us posted. I would reccomend ditching those 250's and at least going to chilled 420s or 871's

Coolerman
01-11-2012, 08:38 PM
You could build some mild NA 572's with good parts (10.2 deck, 4.5 bore & 4.5 stroke, 8.5:1 comp, forged crank) that make 700hp and run on 89, and throw some blowers on there when the time is appropriate. That's basically how our boat started out. It wouldn't break the bank right off the bat.

endeavor1
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
You could build some mild NA 572's with good parts (10.2 deck, 4.5 bore & 4.5 stroke, 8.5:1 comp, forged crank) that make 700hp and run on 89, and throw some blowers on there when the time is appropriate. That's basically how our boat started out. It wouldn't break the bank right off the bat.

Your boat also started with a staggered setup and dry sump six's. Now go get to learning how to be a good Gandydancer.....lol

Coolerman
01-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Now go get to learning how to be a good Gandydancer.....lol

You must know info I don't! lol :evild:

torrent
01-12-2012, 07:25 PM
So... this is what I am going to do after talking with Madara today. Warning: May change at anytime without notice. Build 572 talldecks with good parts, put the small blower setup on with small amounts of boost then upgrade to something big. I won't hit my hp # but should exceed that # when the larger blower goes on.

Has anyone heard of or ran a Kings Crankshaft? They are USA built using timken steel. Talked to them today, very knowledgeable. I've been told to run a USA made crank by several. Callies, Lunati and a few others I've talked to say they are either not made in the U.S. or cannot confirm or deny they are or are not. Whatever that means. I'm guessing no. The King's crank isn't badly priced. Just researching a bit and thought I would share.
http://kingscrankshaft.com/

Coolerman
01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan. Your intake is for a standard deck right? Was intake for the 250 ever made for a tall deck? Just curious. You could put some spacers on it and convert it for tall deck use.

Never heard of kings crank. I'm a fan of the forged Callies or billet Bryant.

For not much more, you can get a windberg which is what we use. Alot of top fuelers and top alcohol cars use them to. The windbergs are also made in the USA.

offshoreexcursion
01-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Plan sounds good. If your engine build turns out as good as the boat restoration, then its going to be one sweet ride!

torrent
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
You are correct, my current intake is for a standard deck. It looks like the blower shop offers an intake for a standard deck that fits a 250 but, for $600.00. Since I will be upgrading blowers most likely sooner than later I am going to opt for the spacers at $125.00.