PDA

View Full Version : Winter Boat Buying - Sea Trial?

Shallow Minded
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey guys... looking at a possible deal on a boat here in the midwest. The only problem is that the boat is up North and there is no easy way to actually get it on the water, short of pulling it 6 hours straight South.

Obviously, the survey can be done, but how do you work a deal contingent upon a water test that might not happen for three months? Just curious how this usually works... thanks.

Perlmudder
12-05-2008, 10:44 PM
throw on a snowsuit and make it happen maybe?

MahopacMarine
12-06-2008, 09:55 AM
If there is open water and the availablility to rewinterize the boat, along with the seller being anxious to sell, take it out for a ride.

We have a client that wanted to test drive a 288 Sunsation in the middle of last March. It was 29* and windy, we pulled the boat out of the water and winterized her at the ramp.

BTW, it made the sale.

MarylandMark
12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Dress warm...

Do visual inspection 1st (door can be cut in shrink wrap if needed). Take a few friends- the more eyes the better. Flip on batteries, turn on accessories, fiddle with every thing. Point out potential issues to the seller at this time and what if any thing they can do to correct it. That could be $ off, not worried about it, whatever- just bring them up before moving on to the next step. If you see mold in the upholstery and are going to want $X off for it- if the seller won't budge no sense moving on. Don't have to come up with $X right then but keep them informed on your thoughts.

If all is well there then I would get a survey along with mechanical checked (compression check, plug reads, drives checked, etc). I'm not sure what is included in a survey but get a full work up on it. Finding 1 thing more than pays for what it cost for a mechanic to go over it. If all checks out there then do the sea trial.

If the boat was represented as stated so far I would offer they seller $250-$400 "deposit" for a sea trail. If I buy it- comes of the price, if not theirs to re-winterize with. I know it's a buyers market but treating the seller as you would want to be treated if you were in each others position goes a long way IMHO. Shows you are serious about buying the boat since it cost them $0 for you to sea trial as well which the seller knowing you are a real buyer vs tire kicker may come back in your favor when it comes time to talk price...

Good luck and hope it all goes well for you!

Shallow Minded
12-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks, guy. Great advice. I viewed the boat in person a couple of weeks ago and it was as clean as advertised. While making the drive up to look at it, unfortunately, it appeared most of the local lakes already had patches ice on them (saw some locals ice-fishing!) Assuming we can come to an agreement on price, I would have no problem putting a deposit down, I'm just not sure how we could actually splash it...

MarylandMark
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Where there is a will, there is a way. You will be much happier towing a few hours to know it runs good than get it home and it doesn't. Even if you don't end up buying, rather spend $500-$1K checking it out than $X (sales price) for it to not be what you thought it was. You will most likely lose a lot more than that trying to re-sell it...

Have them tow it 1/2 way to good water? If I were a seller in these times I would go above and beyond if I knew you were a serious buyer. Don't take that as I am not saying you aren't by any means- just have to show the seller that you are. Deposits, letter of credit or cashiers check written for THAT boat vs penciled in, etc. Have the check/letter written for 5-10% less than price with cash difference available up to full price for any discounts or whatever.

spilman
12-06-2008, 10:55 AM
gotta head south....if it's the right boat it will be worth it. As Mark said, pay $250 for the sea-trial & they will not be as hesitant.....just can't write the check w/o the test ride.

Chris
12-14-2008, 09:53 AM
You can put a portion of the purchase price into an escrow account. When the weather breaks you can do the test. If it has an issue, the $$ in the escrow account pays for the repair. The balance goes to the sell if there's leftover.